Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hack

The top 4.

I still think there are a few twists to this tale yet. The media seem to be forgetting the lead that Liverpool lost last year, and to be honest I don't think it's that their level has increased, it's just that Man City's has dropped. If anything they are looking a bit shakier when on the road. 

Anybody else got their eye on Liverpool’s December fixture list of both a massively congested nature and supposed ‘easier’ games against teams outside the top 7 and wondering if we keep our run of form and beat them at home on Boxing Day that y’know we could end up going in to the new year, there or thereabouts level on points with them? 

Whilst I equally anticipate the possibility of us losing a game or two and them being  14 points ahead by New Year, I can’t help but get a little bit excited.

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody else got their eye on Liverpool’s December fixture list of both a massively congested nature and supposed ‘easier’ games against teams outside the top 7 and wondering if we keep our run of form and beat them at home on Boxing Day that y’know we could end up going in to the new year, there or thereabouts level on points with them? 

Whilst I equally anticipate the possibility of us losing a game or two and them being  14 points ahead by New Year, I can’t help but get a little bit excited.

I'm ever the pessimist but for us to really turn the screw on Man City and stay in touch with Liverpool means we probably need to win the next 5, at least draw vs Man City and then beat Liverpool which would mean a run of 9 straight wins, a draw and a win from 11 games. It's a huge ask but this team is seemingly capable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

This team is amazing and I genuinely think that the Premier League title is a (slight) possibility that they might be able to bring home. 

But Leicester win on Boxing Day? Are you MAD??? Win the League? Sure. Champions League? Why not? Hell, I’ll take 10,000-1 on the World Cup, with the ghost of Chandler banging in a hat trick. But winning on Boxing Day? Some people are delusional...

• Haha 2

End of the day Champions League football is what matters but if Liverpool slip and this team goes from strength to strength then I'd be happy to see some panicking Liverpool fans. I don't think this team is quite there yet but let's see if we can improve further.

6 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

This team is amazing and I genuinely think that the Premier League title is a (slight) possibility that they might be able to bring home. 

But Leicester win on Boxing Day? Are you MAD??? Win the League? Sure. Champions League? Why not? Hell, I’ll take 10,000-1 on the World Cup, with the ghost of Chandler banging in a hat trick. But winning on Boxing Day? Some people are delusional...

Haha didn't we beat Man City at home on Boxing Day last year?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm ever the pessimist but for us to really turn the screw on Man City and stay in touch with Liverpool means we probably need to win the next 5, at least draw vs Man City and then beat Liverpool which would mean a run of 9 straight wins, a draw and a win from 11 games. It's a huge ask but this team is seemingly capable.

Doesn’t seem realistic does it when you put it like that........but......... that’s exactly what title challenging teams do. Let’s not forget we only lost three games all season in 15/16 and that’s what wins titles. Not saying we can do it but it is going to be a hell of a ride if that sequence of results come to fruition and then it’s game on for real. All we can do, as we did then, is concentrate on our own performances, take each game as it comes continue being ruthless and not worry about what other teams are doing. We will no doubt have a few slip ups and disappointing results along the way but so will the others, hopefully when they meet us.

• Like 1

We can only try to win as many games and get as many points as possible. There's no point in thinking about winning the title just yet as there's needless pressure in that. We're doing better than what everyone has expected. Being part of a breakaway pack from 5th. We just need to carry on doing what we're doing and let Rodgers improve the players bit by bit. 

Because considering the points so far, it's totally Liverpool's to lose right now. That's all we, Man City and Chelsea can hope for, as we all try to get as many points as possible. We are in prime place to take advantage if Liverpool do slip up. Just have to wait and see if they have any drop off again. 

7 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Doesn’t seem realistic does it when you put it like that........but......... that’s exactly what title challenging teams do. Let’s not forget we only lost three games all season in 15/16 and that’s what wins titles. Not saying we can do it but it is going to be a hell of a ride if that sequence of results come to fruition and then it’s game on for real. All we can do, as we did then, is concentrate on our own performances, take each game as it comes continue being ruthless and not worry about what other teams are doing. We will no doubt have a few slip ups and disappointing results along the way but so will the others, hopefully when they meet us.

Are you me? 

• Haha 1

Guest bss9401

Sorry people but for me the top 6 will still be a fantastic achievement for the squad we have. We could make top 4 of course but that'd be dreamland again for me. I just don't want people to be suggesting we failed if we don't get top 4. 

If we get top 6, a cup, keep the spine of the team together and make 3-4 key additions then even Mr Cautious here will believe that we could make top 4 or even higher next season.

Alternatively if we are still top 4 in January and make 2-3 good squad additions then I'd believe that we could stay there.

So the 40 point mark is usually a good total to avoid relegation and I like this game by game attitude.

If and when we hit 40 points what would our new target be?

Does anyone know what the usual points tally that gets you top 6, top 4 etc?

On 11/11/2019 at 16:57, rachhere said:

I still think there are a few twists to this tale yet. The media seem to be forgetting the lead that Liverpool lost last year, and to be honest I don't think it's that their level has increased, it's just that Man City's has dropped. If anything they are looking a bit shakier when on the road. 

definitely been riding their luck.

wasnt it a 10pt lead in December?

so plenty of time for anything to happen.

It's not so much what league position I'd be happy or unhappy with now, more the points total. If Spurs and Man Utd for example smash the rest of the season then finishing 5 or 6th but having gotten 75+ points then I'd have to be happy with that. However, I think that points total will get us top 4 so it's got to be top 4 now for me.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It's not so much what league position I'd be happy or unhappy with now, more the points total. If Spurs and Man Utd for example smash the rest of the season then finishing 5 or 6th but having gotten 75+ points then I'd have to be happy with that. However, I think that points total will get us top 4 so it's got to be top 4 now for me.

Thats Now,how  I feel,But still ready to adjust my ambitions,After we see how the league runs & pans out when we reach January.

There are so many twists & Stories for all PL teams to Experience upto then...

But sure has Santa is planning his yearly visit from Lapland, I Feel Top 4 is ours to take,depending on the Elves & Rudolphs Moods of the moment....:trumpet:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'd still wait for the end of this season's half though. In january we'll have a much better idea of where we stand. We also lack squad depth, an injury to Vardy, Maddison or Tielemans to an extent could seriously derail the race for the top 4.

On a side note, if we beat Man City, we might as well as handed the title to Liverpool.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Thats Now,how  I feel,But still ready to adjust my ambitions,After we see how the league runs & pans out when we reach January.

There are so many twists & Stories for all PL teams to Experience upto then...

But sure has Santa is planning is yearly visit from Lapland, I Feel Top 4 is ours to take,depending on the Elves & Rudolphs Moods of the moment....:trumpet:

This season is reminiscent of 15/16 in that there a few teams who just can't get it together when you'd expect they would.

I think top 4 is a completely reasonable and realistic target. Man City will certainly turn up, but Leicester are not second by luck. Legitimately a better constructed and coached side today than Arsenal, Spurs, United, and so on.

32 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

I'd still wait for the end of this season's half though. In january we'll have a much better idea of where we stand. We also lack squad depth, an injury to Vardy, Maddison or Tielemans to an extent could seriously derail the race for the top 4.

On a side note, if we beat Man City, we might as well as handed the title to Liverpool.

Eh, I feel like Praet could capably cover for either of those two getting injured. Vardy you're 100% right about though. 

I see Van Dijk is the latest Liverpool player to drop out of international duty for no apparent reason.

I sense a degree of cautionary “just imagine what a laughing stock we’ll be if we fcuk this one up” panic already starting to well up from Anfield.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'm not sure anyone has the squad to cope with key players getting injured other than man city, you look at Liverpool's front 3 and if 1 or 2 of them get injured they've got origi, lallana and/or shaqiri to come in, they're nowhere near as good.

But capable with the rest of a top team...