Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheLittleBigMan

Why Leicester are title challengers again

While nothing, literally nothing, could ever top the majesty and wonder of that 2015-16 season, the fact that it's 2019 and articles like this are even being published deserves some attention. I mean - who in their wildest dreams would have thought that we could again be title challengers 4 YEARS LATER!? It's miraculous.

• Like 3

As always...

first -40 points

second- 50 points

third- consolidate Europa league

forth- secure 4th  place or better

All at one game at a time, as we really don’t want to angst over what other teams are doing.

Edited by LestaAl
  • Like 4

Just need Liverpool to lose 1 game for me to entertain any title talk. 8 points gap is quite big. If that gap is 5 points by the time we play them then I might start to believe.

Until then its top 4 for me atm.

• Like 2

Having achieved the summit in 2016, there is zero pressure, unlike a certain other club up up there, which has not won the league since I were a lad (and I'm bloody ancient).

So, just enjoy us outclassing one opponent after another and playing some of the most delicious football I've seen played, whilst pundit after pundit* drools over us. 

*Not Chris Sutton or Liverpool fans. 

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats

Is it right that the last time we won 5 on the bounce was our title winning team? Could be wrong, but I’m sure I read somewhere that we did 5 under Shakey also - maybe I’m mistaken.

Anyway, whilst it’s nice to read stuff like this I’d agree that 4th is more realistic for us right now - Liverpool are relentless and have dropped so few points over this year - an 8 point gap would be a big one to overcome. It’s a bit of a shame that some of the margins that let that gap open up have been so small - eg their last minute winner over us and some of their other late winners.

Top 4 would be an incredible achievement for us and at the moment we are nailing that brief so I’m happy to continue trying to focus on that and enjoy teams like United, Arsenal, Spurs dropping points rather than focussing too much on Liverpool/City

Let’s see where we are come December 27th. 

The next 4 premier league games look good on paper, if we pick up a good points haul the games against City and Liverpool will determine how good we really are. I think the confidence factor can’t be underestimated, and th dame against Liverpool will be very different to the one at Anfield. 

with Man City’s injuries at the back and Liverpool’s number of games, there is potential for them both to drop points. 

Been thinking about this recently. Not saying we'll do it, but...

...every year, Liverpool drop off. Yes, they look amazing this season, but they have done in the past and they've still managed to drop off. 

Every year, people try to pick the PL winner at Christmas. It's a long season. Let's just see what happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

Liverpool are flying and they'll know we'll be delighted with top 4 as would chelsea.

Man city most likely challengers but theyre just trying to catch up so far.

If you were a scouser youd be sitting pretty comfortably in your council house right now.

In your council house? 

Can't quite decide if I'm more dismayed by the laziness of that little gem, or its snobbery...

• Like 1

Of course we are. Don't need numbers to prove it, we're one point ahead of the current champions ffs.

The only issue is how good Liverpool are, I can't see them dropping many points, and when Laporte is back for Manchester City.

9 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

Is it right that the last time we won 5 on the bounce was our title winning team? Could be wrong, but I’m sure I read somewhere that we did 5 under Shakey also - maybe I’m mistaken.

Yeah, that's correct.

We won 5 league games on the trot (27th Feb - 4th Apr 2017)

3–1 v Liverpool (home)

3–1 v Hull City (home)   
 3-2 v West Ham Utd (away)

2-0 v Stoke City (home)

2-0 v Sunderland (home)

with a 2-0 win over Sevilla thrown in there, between Hull and West Ham.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Koke said:

Just need Liverpool to lose 1 game for me to entertain any title talk. 8 points gap is quite big. If that gap is 5 points by the time we play them then I might start to believe.

Until then its top 4 for me atm.

Or put that a slightly better way ... we just need Liverpool to draw a couple of games.  I feel that's more likely at the moment, than anyone actually beating them.  

Then we can be the first to beat them in the League this season on Boxing Day ....................   :)

• Haha 1

Fitness could play a part in the title this season. Our current first 11 is a match for anyone, and the general consensus is that we are going to be very difficult to beat. However, a few key injuries, particularly at the back and up front, and that situation could change quickly.

We had very few injuries 2015/16 whereas Spurs, City and Arsenal had more than their fair share.

This season, Allison aside, LFC haven't had many injuries. But if either Mane or Fabinho were side-lined long term, they'd struggle to continue wins they've been scraping over the last two months. Add to that the World Club tournament in December, the subsequent fixture backlog that they then face in January and Feb, and Champions League commitments beyond that defending their title, If they manage to navigate through it all, they deserve the title. However, I suspect they will encounter a few blips.

Man City are having injury issues this season, Aguero the latest, and if that continues, they're going to struggle to maintain a challenge. Like LFC, they have more commitments/ games with the Champions league, so again, an increased chance of key injuries.

So quite simple for me. If our first 11 stay fit and healthy throughout the season, and the above clubs have a few more key injuries, we will be there at the end, challenging.

Edited by Mythyaar

13 hours ago, foxfanazer said:

Won't be letting myself get angsty like 2015/16. Just gonna enjoy it for what it is and let the table take care of itself 

I would agree…. Used to wake up on match days with butterflies in my tummy!

This feels a lot more relaxing/ fun

15/16 was a little overwhelming at times :frantics:

• Like 4