Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Smalling

Problem is, I think we've got to be happy with Cags and Evans for at least this season and next. No real concerns about Evans pace yet really.

So whilst I think Smalling is really unfairly under rated, he doesn't improve either and surely doesn't want to be a squad player. 

:dunno:

Edit : plus its the Sun so its definitely bollocks.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Problem is, I think we've got to be happy with Cags and Evans for at least this season and next. No real concerns about Evans pace yet really.

So whilst I think Smalling is really unfairly under rated, he doesn't improve either and surely doesn't want to be a squad player. 

:dunno:

Edit : plus its the Sun so its definitely bollocks.

Good players back themselves to get in the team, see Praet. Too good to be sat on the bench, but he's here. 

We need quality players throughout the team and the squad, I think he'd be a brilliant signing who has been tainted by the shite going on at Man U. 

Seem to remember Vardy being quite complimentary about Smalling in the media a while ago, maybe they get along well too which could help.

Definitely the pick of Man U's perennial average defenders of recent times, although Bailly looked class when he first got there injuries have devastated him, Jones & Rojo are bob. This Roma reinvigoration is a good sign though, you'd think Utd would still hold out hope for him given their recent bumbles letting classy CBs leave and their desperate need for one.

Not sure what's going on with Benkovic but I don't feel comfortable having Wes as the 3rd choice. Any major injury to Soy or Evans sees us significantly weakened. Would love to hear more from the club on the Benkovic situation as he seemed to be nailing it last year.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

smalling wont leave Italy to sit on our bench …...

though yanited would do anything and everything to stop the scousers ……...

If your going to be playing European football next season which now looks nailed on there'll be far more opportunities for the third choice centre back to play.  Add into that Evans will be a yer older and it may make sense to manage his workload a bit better which then might make the notion of anyone being third choice a bit obsolete, may be more of a case of Soyuncu being that stand-out first choice and Evans and Smalling rotated somewhat throughout the season.

Going into next season, with the added workload of European football with Evans and Soyuncu and Morgan as first choice back-up would concern me if either of the former pick up an injury.  

Edited by henrik_62

Cant' see he'd want to be third choice centre back. His ability on the ball is quite questionable as well. Doesn't seem the best at passing etc. However if he doesn't mind being 3rd choice then i dont think anyone would complain. He'll get enough games to play with us but would be surprised if he'd be happy with bottom half prem teams and carling cup games etc. 

7 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

Did Brendan ever play much with three CBs at Celtic? 

On the very odd occasion in his first two years.  Then at the start of the third season we played that way all pre-season, with a view to playing that way that season with Dembele and Edouard together but Dembele was sold on the last day of the window and we reverted back to the 4-2-3-1.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

If your going to be playing European football next season which now looks nailed on there'll be far more opportunities for the third choice centre back to play.  Add into that Evans will be a yer older and it may make sense to manage his workload a bit better which then might make the notion of anyone being third choice a bit obsolete, may be more of a case of Soyuncu being that stand-out first choice and Evans and Smalling rotated somewhat throughout the season.

Going into next season, with the added workload of European football with Evans and Soyuncu and Morgan as first choice back-up would concern me if either of the former pick up an injury.  

See @Christoph reply 

I wouldn't be upset with this. In terms of pure numbers we probably are a centre half light if we can't rely on Benkovic, and I do get the feeling he's been quite an unfair scapegoat over time.

He's no youngster though so I wouldn't want to pay loads.

I always seem to remember an interview with Vardy a few years back where he said Smalling was the toughest cb He’s had to play against... I’ve personally always thought he was unfairly singled out at Man U I mean look at the 85m sensation they’ve got at the back now he’s hardly pulling up any trees... I said when they were after Maguire I would’ve took Smalling plus cash but I just don’t think he’s for us now! Loan out Benkovic and bring in a loan replacement then Re asses at the end of the season