Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

So the Good Friday agreement should just go? It is bound by internation law, it will clearly have (and has) a huge impact on border controls. This is one international bindong agreement, but there are other contractual agreements in existence signed between the UK and EU. 

Time to stop the politics and look at the law and what can actually be achieved within it. Brexit will be soft, it seem unavoidable.

Don't tell me, I'm not responsible for the Tory's election campaign, I didn't promise to get Brexit done as though it's like ripping off a plaster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Don't tell me, I'm not responsible for the Tory's election campaign, I didn't promise to get Brexit done as though it's like ripping off a plaster.

Blame Cameron (For his weakness) and the ERG (just cos) - and the referndum question (NOT the result) should have been illegal (in/out - ffs - lol)

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

The bloke has been getting steadily more triggered as the election has gone along, this outburst has been coming lol 

I am now relaxed and at peace.  

Must admit this has been a stressful few weeks - apologies all for the slight overreaction here and probably elsewhere. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Blame Cameron (For his weakness) and the ERG (just cos) - and the referndum question (NOT the result) should have been illegal (in/out - ffs - lol)

Preaching to the choir, pal.  But now that Boris has campaigned in the way that he has, and given his involvement in the referendum, he has a lot of nigh-impossible promises to fulfil and I would hope the people who voted for him will be willing to hold him accountable in the same way that the country's left has rightfully abandoned Corbyn en masse.  Wishful thinking?  We'll see...

2 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Preaching to the choir, pal.  But now that Boris has campaigned in the way that he has, and given his involvement in the referendum, he has a lot of nigh-impossible promises to fulfil and I would hope the people who voted for him will be willing to hold him accountable in the same way that the country's left has rightfully abandoned Corbyn en masse.  Wishful thinking?  We'll see...

Hope so. (I didn't vote Tory this time, but normally do)

Dislike them all tbh, Tories for their cynical campaign, or Labour for their willful abandonment of being a realistic opposition.

Anyway, eyes open, hope for best. 

11 hours ago, Strokes said:

You may be right but it is irrelevant now, Remainers best hope now, is that without needing the ERG or DUP Boris Johnson stitches them up to deliver a softer brexit. I can’t see it myself but you can never trust him can you?

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that there's nothing that remainers can do about it now to be honest - that ship has sailed.

Just disputing the fact that "remainers are a minority", as someone said above. Maybe a minority in parliament, but not in terms of general population.

• Like 1

Heard on the radio on the way home that Andrew Bridgen has said that Farage and Ken Clarke should be given knighthoods for their respective roles in representing the different sides of the Brexit debate 

What a fvckin toad and not the brightest move in the context of Nigel’s claims of being offered a place in the Lords 

General election 2019: Hart gets Welsh post in government reshuffle
14 minutes ago

Simon Hart has been appointed Welsh secretary
Boris Johnson is carrying out a mini-reshuffle of his government as he prepares to address his new Conservative MPs in Westminster.

Simon Hart has been named as Welsh secretary, replacing Alun Cairns, who quit at the start of the election.

And Nicky Morgan stays as culture secretary, despite standing down as an MP. She is taking a peerage and will sit as a cabinet minister in the Lords.

Most cabinet ministers are staying put following the Tories' victory.

Chancellor Sajid Javid is staying at the Treasury while Dominic Raab and Priti Patel will stay in post as foreign secretary and home secretary respectively, having only been in their jobs since July.

The new PM is expected to carry out wider changes to his top team in February once the UK has left the EU.

There have been unconfirmed speculation that he is considering major changes to a number of departments, including the Department for Exiting the European Union, the Home Office and Department for International Development.

Ms Morgan took many by surprise when she announced that she would not be standing as MP for Loughborough at the election. However, the former education secretary remained active on the campaign trail, prompting speculation she intended to remain in public life.

The choice of Simon Hart as Welsh secretary marks a big promotion for the 56-year old MP, who was previously a junior Cabinet Office minister.

Reacting to his appointment, Mr Hart said: "It's great to have this opportunity. I've got my orders and I'm going to try and do it as best I can."

The Welsh post has been vacant since early last month, when Alun Cairns quit over claims he knew about a former aide's role in the "sabotage" of a rape trial.

Nicky Morgan stood down as MP for Loughborough at the general election
Mr Hart and Ms Morgan both backed Remain in the 2016 referendum but have been strong supporters of the PM's Brexit deal.

Downing Street has said the government plans to ask MPs to vote on the withdrawal agreement on Friday. A spokesman said the government planned to start the process in Parliament before Christmas in the "proper constitutional way".

The Withdrawal Agreement Bill is the legislation that will enable Brexit to happen - the UK is due to leave the EU on 31 January.

Before that, the PM will set out his legislative plans in a Queen's Speech on Thursday.

And later on Monday, Mr Johnson will address his new parliamentary colleagues. Many of the 109 new Conservative MPs won in areas traditionally held by Labour in Thursday's election, which saw the party gain an 80-seat majority.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50816908

1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Heard on the radio on the way home that Andrew Bridgen has said that Farage and Ken Clarke should be given knighthoods for their respective roles in representing the different sides of the Brexit debate 

What a fvckin toad and not the brightest move in the context of Nigel’s claims of being offered a place in the Lords 

It is scandalous Farage hasn't been knighted for services to politics when you see Craig Oliver was for running the remain campaign.

Pure political bias that he hasn't. 

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

It is scandalous Farage hasn't been knighted for services to politics when you see Craig Oliver was for running the remain campaign.

Pure political bias that he hasn't. 

No, it’s scandalous that anyone is knighted for running a campaign of this type. 

Toadying cronyism. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Charl91 said:

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that there's nothing that remainers can do about it now to be honest - that ship has sailed.

Just disputing the fact that "remainers are a minority", as someone said above. Maybe a minority in parliament, but not in terms of general population.

It’s almost a complete reversal of 2016 sadly.

Well this is going to be interesting 

https://news.sky.com/story/nicky-morgan-handed-peerage-to-keep-cabinet-job-in-pms-post-election-mini-reshuffle-11888486

Boris Johnson will legislate to block the Brexit transition period being extended beyond the end of 2020, according to government sources.

The bill turning the prime minister's EU divorce deal into law has been tweaked to "legally prohibit" the government agreeing to any new extension.

It will return to the Commons on Friday, in a move Downing Street hopes will ensure Brexit happens on 31 January and the transition period runs until the end of 2020 while both sides try to strike a trade deal.

8 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Can't help but feel Boris is going to try to provoke a response in order to portray Labour/Liberals/EU as obstructing Brexit. There's only one way to get Brexit done smoothly and that's to go and sort out the stuff that needs doing. 

Brexit was being blocked by the other parties

this legislation will put him in a Very strong position Regarding negotiations with the E.U 

8 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Well this is going to be interesting 

https://news.sky.com/story/nicky-morgan-handed-peerage-to-keep-cabinet-job-in-pms-post-election-mini-reshuffle-11888486

Boris Johnson will legislate to block the Brexit transition period being extended beyond the end of 2020, according to government sources.

The bill turning the prime minister's EU divorce deal into law has been tweaked to "legally prohibit" the government agreeing to any new extension.

It will return to the Commons on Friday, in a move Downing Street hopes will ensure Brexit happens on 31 January and the transition period runs until the end of 2020 while both sides try to strike a trade deal.

Jo Maugham will be in Edinburgh, quicker than Gina miller can say gofundme.

Markets spooked by Cumming’s new strategy 

not sure about this ...... the tories ran on the back of their ‘oven ready deal’

changing that deal surely can’t be considered correct .......

assume (hope) this is just a negotiating position which will force the EU into sorting things out quickly ....... I suppose in the long run a speedy resolution is in everyone’s interest .....but it may lead to a few months of market turbulence when many assumed the worst was over !

13 hours ago, Charl91 said:

You are assuming that no Brexiteers voted for any party other than the Conservatives and the Brexit party.  Quite likely that some voted for a 2nd referendum, which as everyones seems to keep saying is not just a way to remain but putting the outcome fo Brexit negotiations back to the people.