Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think one of the problems is that both sides are essentially negotiating something worse than they had before. 

Fair play bovril at least you acknowledge that there are 2 sides in this, a lot of members (FT or otherwise) believe this is of our own doing and therefore we should take what ever they offer us and be done

6 minutes ago, bovril said:

I think one of the problems is that both sides are essentially negotiating something worse than they had before. 

Exactly,  am pretty sure this is the first negotiation in human history which essentially is about how best to reduce trade between nations.

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Fair play bovril at least you acknowledge that there are 2 sides in this, a lot of members (FT or otherwise) believe this is of our own doing and therefore we should take what ever they offer us and be done

Yes of course there are two sides,  but only one that wanted this negotiation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nick said:

No deal then by the looks of it.

Ive always thought it would end up like this. I’ve always questioned this governments appetite for any deal at all.

That said, this will cause the most amount of disruption and chaos and heartbreak but in the much longer term, I hope the price we pay now will be the start of something that allows an independent build back that’s bigger and stronger.

Never wanted any of this nonsense but all we can do now is make the best of it. What’s so sad is this government and its wealthy benefactors will exploit the markets whilst the little people all go into insolvency. The narrative will remain the same, they’ll just put the word “SADLY” in before announcing the death of livelihoods rather than people.

Still hoping there will be a deal but unless the EU have compensatory money they can give to countries losing out from Britain’s exit, then it appears the red lines will hold and chaos will ensue.

Have to say, Jimmy Crankee through all this looking Presidential - fair play. I can honestly see Scotland wanting out following Brexit... Sad stuff, we’ll be left Billy no mates.

I wonder if the Covid Christmas U-turn fiasco now inevitably dooms us to No Deal - even if a last-minute deal might otherwise have been possible?

Johnson's Covid Christmas clampdown will have angered his libertarian right supporters inside and outside parliament (though my complaint is that he didn't take that decision earlier, on the precautionary principle as infections were rising).

The problem is that those Tory supporters who are instinctively opposed to almost any Covid restrictions are largely the same people who want no compromise on Brexit.....and I can't see there being a Brexit deal without compromise on both sides, including significant compromise on the UK side. 

But if Johnson compromises at all on Brexit now, those Hard Brexiteers/libertarians already angry about Christmas lockdown will be looking to depose him, surely.....and one thing we know is that it's all about self-interest for Bozza.

Mind you, pre-Covid I remember posting that I thought Johnson would be gone as PM before the next election - and someone (Matt?) was amazed at that prediction. I'd now be astonished if he lasted to the end of 2021 or even to June.

Still, his name will go down in history as he wanted. It's just that he wanted to go down as the 2nd Churchill, but will go down as the worst PM ever, a tragicomic cross between Lord Palmerston (with insufficient gunboats), Anthony Eden and Mr. Bean.

Really hope I'm wrong about No Deal, as I can see it taking us to a very dark place - not just the chaos & economic damage, but all the potential strife with neighbours and allies at every level plus potentially toxic divisions within our own society.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I wonder if the Covid Christmas U-turn fiasco now inevitably dooms us to No Deal - even if a last-minute deal might otherwise have been possible?

Johnson's Covid Christmas clampdown will have angered his libertarian right supporters inside and outside parliament (though my complaint is that he didn't take that decision earlier, on the precautionary principle as infections were rising).

The problem is that those Tory supporters who are instinctively opposed to almost any Covid restrictions are largely the same people who want no compromise on Brexit.....and I can't see there being a Brexit deal without compromise on both sides, including significant compromise on the UK side. 

But if Johnson compromises at all on Brexit now, those Hard Brexiteers/libertarians already angry about Christmas lockdown will be looking to depose him, surely.....and one thing we know is that it's all about self-interest for Bozza.

Mind you, pre-Covid I remember posting that I thought Johnson would be gone as PM before the next election - and someone (Matt?) was amazed at that prediction. I'd now be astonished if he lasted to the end of 2021 or even to June.

Still, his name will go down in history as he wanted. It's just that he wanted to go down as the 2nd Churchill, but will go down as the worst PM ever, a tragicomic cross between Lord Palmerston (with insufficient gunboats), Anthony Eden and Mr. Bean.

Really hope I'm wrong about No Deal, as I can see it taking us to a very dark place - not just the chaos & economic damage, but all the potential strife with neighbours and allies at every level plus potentially toxic divisions within our own society.

And it doesn't look like the majority of the country even still want it. 

1 hour ago, BKLFox said:

So we have to bend over and accept the crumbs?

Have you ever bought a car for instance robo and if so did you just pay the asking price?

I imagine he hasn't taken a car back, on already existing finance agreement and say he is no longer happy with it and wants a better deal.  

And then been pissed off when the car finance company have said, sorry, we can't give you a better deal than the one you signed up to a year ago. 

42 minutes ago, Greg2607 said:

I imagine he hasn't taken a car back, on already existing finance agreement and say he is no longer happy with it and wants a better deal.  

And then been pissed off when the car finance company have said, sorry, we can't give you a better deal than the one you signed up to a year ago. 

But we are out of that agreement and now renegotiating are we not?

Think now car insurance your year is up do you let it roll to what ever the provider you were with offers or look for a better deal?

Negotiations is a quit pro quo, not a you wanted it so you get the 5hitty end suckers.

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

So we have to bend over and accept the crumbs?

Have you ever bought a car for instance robo and if so did you just pay the asking price?

Did I say that.  The problem lies though with the fact we went into this negotiation not recognising the EU's legitimacy of their red lines.  I am sure you will say the same of the EU,  which is where my point comes in,  we chose this negotiation not the EU.

21 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Think now car insurance your year is up do you let it roll to what ever the provider you were with offers or look for a better deal?

Negotiations is a quit pro quo, not a you wanted it so you get the 5hitty end suckers.

These analogy's are ridiculous  when my insurance company puts the price up I can then go on to negotiate with 100's of competitors. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Well no, but the deal didn't expire, we cancelled it.  If you cancel the car insurance you pay a penalty. 

13 hours ago, Nick said:

I can honestly see Scotland wanting out following Brexit... Sad stuff, we’ll be left Billy no mates.

There are articles that are a quick google away predicting exactly this from even before the referendum. This is what is so depressing about Brexit. It's like watching a corny horror film and screaming at the screen at the stupidity of the characters. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Freight coming from France stopped for 48 hours at least. Disastrous 

Freight from France can still come to the UK, its accompanied (ie with a driver) freight from the UK thats blocked. Containers and unaccompanied trailers can still come into France I believe.