Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

I think the longer conversation and discussion can take place for anyone minded to do so. But the message he has given with this (surprise) action is to voters his party might have lost because of Labour’s previous Brexit position:

I accept your choice, and this is better than the alternative of a No Deal.

You don't get to vote for a policy and then blame someone else for the damage that it does. Johnson doesn't need Labour votes to get this shit show through anyway. It's Miliband MkII and the Scottish Referendum. He stood with Cameron and Labour paid the price, Scotland lost to the SNP and Corbyn as new Leader. Bad move.

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, MrP said:

Christmas Morning - even better. lol

Delighted obviously, whatever people think of Boris it's an extraordinary achievement to have all this wrapped up within a year, pretty much all his opponents said he couldn't do it and he did. We'll get the detail soon but tariff free access to the EU whilst coming out of the SM, CU and not being under the jurisdiction of the ECJ is exactly what most Brexit voters wanted.

I'll have a bit of a gloat at the Owen Jones/JOB types and chuckle at Starmer going from promising a second referendum to having to vote for a Boris Brexit but it's time now to move on, get this vaccine rolled out and start the levelling up programme across the country the Brexit needs to be the basis of.

Not really much to say, the right candidate won and the election went pretty much how I expected, the polls were underestimating Trump but not enough for him to win. Thought Biden ran a perfect campaign making it effectively a referendum on Trump.

The behaviour of him and his team since has been dreadful, I did hope he would concede and accept but sadly he's taken this road - though many Democrats shouldn't throw stones on the issue as many of them never really accepted his election.

As I've said to you for years, democracy is sacrosanct and we have a really crisis of people not accepting democratic votes across the West now, it has to stop.

The Republicans now need to do everything they can stop him winning the 2024 nomination, not only to remove themselves from him but to also ensure the press hold Biden and Harris to the highest scrutiny - something that won't happen if there is a chance he runs again.

The US election map is very interesting now, Florida and Ohio appear to be solid Republican now, but Arizona and Georgia are swing states where demographic should take them towards the Democrats, Michigan, Penn and Wisconsin are probably going to decide the Presidency for the next few decades so you need a candidate who is going to win those seats - Biden could, had they gone with Sanders or Harris I think Trump would still have won so you have to give them credit for selecting the right candidate this time around.

Great to see you back, hope all is well and I hope you're planning on sticking around :wave:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bovril said:

We had to treat nationals of all EU (inc. UK) countries equally in terms of employment rights, because we were in the single market. That is not the same as 'no control of your border'. Controlling the border is not the same as employment rights, I honestly don't understand how the two can be conflated. I have driven from Bulgaria to Britain and from the Serbia / Croatia border I could carry on with no controls until I got to the France / UK border. 

In terms of Brexit, "control of borders" does not mean the right or otherwise to have a passport control booth.  "Control of borders" relates to whether or not non-UK citizens had the right to live and work in the UK.  Under EU rules, EU citizens had the right to live in the UK.  

Under new rules, entry to the UK will be essentially unchanged except in administrative detail.  What people do when they get here - that's the control element.  By all means disagree with the policy when it is announced, but at least understand the point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrP said:

Not really much to say, the right candidate won and the election went pretty much how I expected, the polls were underestimating Trump but not enough for him to win. Thought Biden ran a perfect campaign making it effectively a referendum on Trump.

The behaviour of him and his team since has been dreadful, I did hope he would concede and accept but sadly he's taken this road - though many Democrats shouldn't throw stones on the issue as many of them never really accepted his election.

As I've said to you for years, democracy is sacrosanct and we have a really crisis of people not accepting democratic votes across the West now, it has to stop.

The Republicans now need to do everything they can stop him winning the 2024 nomination, not only to remove themselves from him but to also ensure the press hold Biden and Harris to the highest scrutiny - something that won't happen if there is a chance he runs again.

The US election map is very interesting now, Florida and Ohio appear to be solid Republican now, but Arizona and Georgia are swing states where demographic should take them towards the Democrats, Michigan, Penn and Wisconsin are probably going to decide the Presidency for the next few decades so you need a candidate who is going to win those seats - Biden could, had they gone with Sanders or Harris I think Trump would still have won so you have to give them credit for selecting the right candidate this time around.

Ah, good. Welcome back, Matt! :)

Thanks for your take on the US stuff - safe to say I pretty much agree with all of it, I'd add that my initial thoughts are it will be Harris running in 2024 rather than Biden so we'll see what kind of effect that has on the landscape and who the Repubs might put up against her.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrP said:

Delighted obviously, whatever people think of Boris it's an extraordinary achievement to have all this wrapped up within a year, pretty much all his opponents said he couldn't do it and he did. We'll get the detail soon but tariff free access to the EU whilst coming out of the SM, CU and not being under the jurisdiction of the ECJ is exactly what most Brexit voters wanted.

I'll have a bit of a gloat at the Owen Jones/JOB types and chuckle at Starmer going from promising a second referendum to having to vote for a Boris Brexit but it's time now to move on, get this vaccine rolled out and start the levelling up programme across the country the Brexit needs to be the basis of.

Good to see you back Matt! Merry christmas. :santa:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrP said:

I figured your resurrection on here would be at Easter not Christmas :D

Good to have you back mate. Merry Brexit :thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, MrP said:

Merry Christmas to you all. I might make the odd post here but I can't go back to being on online most of the day, 

I've actually sorted my life out over the last few months, less drinking, less time online, more work, more reading, settled down, lost about 4st (I hit 17st around May) and now run a about 30k a week so feel fitter than ever. Coming off SM (Facebook aside) has been very good for me and I don't think I should reverse that just quite yet.

Moderation in everything is certainly the way to go.

Good to see you back, even if it's just occasionally - and to hear that things are going well.

That's a spectacular weight loss (and preceding weight gain! :D)

"Moderation in everything", eh? The Change UK revival starts here under a new leader!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MrP said:

Merry Christmas to you all. I might make the odd post here but I can't go back to being on online most of the day, 

I've actually sorted my life out over the last few months, less drinking, less time online, more work, more reading, settled down, lost about 4st (I hit 17st around May) and now run a about 30k a week so feel fitter than ever. Coming off SM (Facebook aside) has been very good for me and I don't think I should reverse that just quite yet.

Nice to se you back Matt ..   and you are so right ..  SM can become addictive but being able to come off it for a while can really help you get things back in order ...   nice one ! ...   :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrP said:

Nice of you to make an appearance @MrP

Merry Christmas 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MrP said:

Excellent to hear you’re doing well mate, Merry Christmas to you and your family :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

In terms of Brexit, "control of borders" does not mean the right or otherwise to have a passport control booth.  "Control of borders" relates to whether or not non-UK citizens had the right to live and work in the UK.  Under EU rules, EU citizens had the right to live in the UK.  

Under new rules, entry to the UK will be essentially unchanged except in administrative detail.  What people do when they get here - that's the control element.  By all means disagree with the policy when it is announced, but at least understand the point.

Ah ok. I was under the impression that "control our borders" meant our border being controlled. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas all your Brexitwats and insufferable remoaners. I'll miss the debate. See you back here after the Scotland elections... :beer: :santa:

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, l444ry said:

I stopped listening to this after the first 30 seconds when the narrator accused, with a little patronising chuckle, Sunak of lying and the public not being aware that 80% of the economy is service based. What a complete and utter arrogant tool. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I stopped listening to this after the first 30 seconds when the narrator accused, with a little patronising chuckle, Sunak of lying and the public not being aware that 80% of the economy is service based. What a complete and utter arrogant tool. 

On 28/12/2020 at 12:51, Spudulike said:

I don't see what's wrong with saying the general public probably aren't aware that services make up 80% of our economy and won't be included in the agreement.  I tend to assume most political statistics aren't general knowledge.

If it isn't dishonest language to call it "one of the most comprehensive free trade agreements ever signed" when it ignores 80% of the economy and we've just left the most comprehensive free trade agreement ever signed, then what is it?

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 3