Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

22 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I don't see what's wrong with saying the general public probably aren't aware that services make up 80% of our economy and won't be included in the agreement.  I tend to assume most political statistics aren't general knowledge.

If it isn't dishonest language to call it "one of the most comprehensive free trade agreements ever signed" when it ignores 80% of the economy and we've just left the most comprehensive free trade agreement ever signed, then what is it?

I agree with your general point about the stupidity of signing a Brexit deal that doesn't address trade in services - particularly when we have a large, growing trade surplus in services and a large, growing trade deficit in goods.

But that 80% figure is a bit misleading. It's true that about 80% of the UK economy comprises services, but a large proportion of those services only involve the domestic economy: shops, pubs/restaurants, public/social services, home insurance, entertainment, domestic bank transactions etc.

House of Commons 2019 data says services accounted for 42% of our exports to the EU: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/#:~:text=The UK had a trade,to the EU in 2019.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Govt Chief Whip Mark Spencer, I'll be incredibly disappointed if I find out his middle name isn't Sand.

Good - and, might I say important - point.

Likewise, it's regrettable that neither Karl nor Groucho thought to form a quirky electro-pop combo with Ron and Russell Mael.

I'm sure that Marx and Sparks would have been a great success.

Sorry. I'll find something to do with my time.... :blush:

• Like 1

This guy knew what he was voting for clearly. Even appeared in a UKIP video. I mean the EU gave him a grant ffs! I'd have sympathy, but as a business owner, to not do his own research and believe the lies, I have very little sympathy.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

This guy knew what he was voting for clearly. Even appeared in a UKIP video. I mean the EU gave him a grant ffs! I'd have sympathy, but as a business owner, to not do his own research and believe the lies, I have very little sympathy.

This is the central problem. Any political campaign now is run on cheap soundbites, mistruths and lies. And an electorate, who have been fed watered down nonsense for years, gobble it up. So the result is people literally voting against their own interests, such as this poor schmuck.

The right are particularly culpable, as this particularly suits nationalistic/jingoistic heartstrings, though all sides are guilty to some degree. Social media and our instant appetite for very simplified information has a lot to answer for. We have lost more or less all forms of quality debate and deliberation when it comes to politics and current affairs. You can validate almost any view on social media, and people seem far less open to rationally reassessing their views.

Or maybe it’s just that people have always been a bit thick?! The litmus test for this will be if this govt get re-elected (particularly if Boris is on the ballot so to speak). I admit there is a large majority to overturn, but if the deceit, cronyism, corruption and bodging that’s gone on recently gets electoral support we truly are all of the above, and frankly we deserve to go down with the sinking ship.

Edited by bmouth_fox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is the problem with modern politics. Too many people buying into the my team vs your team, mmm tears childishness.

A lot of Brexit voters seem to think they're chalking up culture war victories against the woke left. Like, gender neutral toilets = hard Brexit needed. Which is weird because that stuff comes from the US, not Europe, and the rest of the EU views us as too willing to ape the worst of American politics. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is the problem with modern politics. Too many people buying into the my team vs your team, mmm tears childishness.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Weird. 

So much for asking for togetherness post-Brexit from anyone who didn't vote for it... 

For shame for even addressing such blatantly obvious bait, fellas! :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

The team lines were drawn the day after the referendum. Suddenly we have a vociferous group that had found a deep seated love for all things EU despite barely a peep Pre-referendum. The youth claiming their futures had been stolen despite two thirds of the under 26's not bothering to vote. Anyone that voted leave must be old, racist and/or thick, they said. Remain voters rushing to the moral high ground where its easy to snipe and insult. 

A wise old man once told me to always pick the loser in politics. It makes life so much easier. 

Love and peace, man. :kissing:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

Today.

The Greatest Day in British history since the end of the second world war. This, the Greatest of all nations will, at IIpm, be free of the shackles of this Undemocratic, sinking monolith for all time.

So, dispite all the sickening efforts of the Traitors and Fifth columnists to overturn the biggest democratic vote in our history, the silent majority win again, How very appropriately British.

So Bercow, Clarke, Adonis, Blair. Major, Starmer, Hessletine, Geldof and the rest of the sad Luvvies....suck it up, the taste of your Angst and humiliation is so very, very sweet. xx

Like I said, when can we vote to rejoin? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sly said:

Like I said, when can we vote to rejoin? 

Not in the foreseeable future. While there is still a party that is committed to hard Brexit who get around 40%, we're not going to re-join. It would be a bit stupid leaving and re-joining every 5 years. I think the best that could happen is that the government quietly softens the deal over the next few years in response to pressure from Labour and nationalists in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

Today.

The Greatest Day in British history since the end of the second world war. This, the Greatest of all nations will, at IIpm, be free of the shackles of this Undemocratic, sinking monolith for all time.

So, dispite all the sickening efforts of the Traitors and Fifth columnists to overturn the biggest democratic vote in our history, the silent majority win again, How very appropriately British.

So Bercow, Clarke, Adonis, Blair. Major, Starmer, Hessletine, Geldof and the rest of the sad Luvvies....suck it up, the taste of your Angst and humiliation is so very, very sweet. xx

I think Jilted John wrote a song about you.

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

Not in the foreseeable future. While there is still a party that is committed to hard Brexit who get around 40%, we're not going to re-join. It would be a bit stupid leaving and re-joining every 5 years. I think the best that could happen is that the government quietly softens the deal over the next few years in response to pressure from Labour and nationalists in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. 

I think this is how it will play out in fairness. We’ve got terms currently, however I expect them to be tweaked over time. 

I don’t think anyone actually knows the answer to if we’re better out or in at this stage. Only time will tell on this one. 

I have my opinion though and for me, it’s still a sad day personally, on what has been a terrible year. 

What’s done is done though and let’s just watch how it plays out. 

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

Tonight Britons lose many of the rights they had previously enjoyed and it becomes harder to trade with our nearest neighbour. So objectively we're worse off. 

Don't worry they'll come crawling back when they realise they need British eels more than we need them

1 hour ago, Gordon the Great said:

Today.

Fvcking hell. Do Brexiters actually say this shit? 

I thought this sort of stuff was made up by the lefties.

Surely has to be satire. Surely.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101865/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-apply-FRENCH-citizenship-Brexit.html

lol

"Boris Johnson's father is trying to get a French passport after Brexit, he revealed today on the eve of the UK's departure from the bloc after more than four decades. Stanley Johnson confirmed he he was in the process of applying for citizenship in the country of his mother's birth to maintain his ties with the EU. Mr Johnson, 80, a former MEP who voted Remain in Britain's 2016 referendum, told RTL radio he wanted to become a French citizen because of strong family links to France"

• Haha 1