Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

I'm mighty relieved if we're now going to avoid No Deal. I presume that deal will now pass the UK parliament and highly unlikely that an EU nation or EU parliament will veto.

Quite apart from the potential for greater economic damage and logistical mayhem, with No Deal I was mainly fearing the toxic relationship that might have developed with some of our neighbours.

Given a binary choice, it's always better to end up eating a shit sandwich than eating a mountain of shit. :D

Will be interesting to hear the detail of the deal and informed analysis, once that is possible. Will take a few days, at least, I imagine.

On a minor point, I was pissed off to discover today that my newly acquired Irish passport won't entitle me to an EHIC card - unless I move to Ireland or another EU country, which I don't currently plan to do.

I've never before bought health insurance when travelling within Europe, but will have to consider that for holidays now that there'll be no reciprocal health cover. But, hey, we've successfully ended freedom of movement! :rolleyes:

I hope this all works out brilliantly - or at least doesn't do too much harm to people's lives, I'd settle for that. Overall, though.....a day of great relief set within a sad and extended episode of damaging, backward-looking insularity.

p.s. Bozza should've dressed as Santa to announce his great gift to the nation. An amusing fish-themed (kipper?) tie isn't enough.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What are the practical positives of Brexit?

Not in terms of blue passports etc...

Well we are free to engage in a trade deal with the US, which are our biggest single country trade partner. We have control of our borders so can stop discriminating against non EU nationals. We can alter this to suit our needs.

819AE319-5C50-4B1B-8402-0478B5C131CD.png.b3445d6ff3b7761d05e6b39c9ceed4b5.png

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

We always had control over our border as recent EU countries have shown, and we never had to discriminate against non EU nationals, we had total control over that policy. But I guess if you repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth.

We didn’t have control, it’s not been displayed by other countries. We could not without good reason reject the freedom of movement act. To say anything other is utter nonsense.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We didn’t have control, it’s not been displayed by other countries. We could not without good reason reject the freedom of movement act. To say anything other is utter nonsense.

We had to treat nationals of all EU (inc. UK) countries equally in terms of employment rights, because we were in the single market. That is not the same as 'no control of your border'. Controlling the border is not the same as employment rights, I honestly don't understand how the two can be conflated. I have driven from Bulgaria to Britain and from the Serbia / Croatia border I could carry on with no controls until I got to the France / UK border. 

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/residence/residence-rights/inactive-citizens/index_en.htm

We also never had to discriminate against non-EU nationals. We could've extended the same work rights to them if we had wanted to. To say that EU discriminated against non-EU citizens, when that policy was totally in the hands of member states, is an outright lie that Brexiters have been repeating for years now. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 4

36 minutes ago, l444ry said:

Disappointed that Starmer isn't giving Labour MP's a free vote. When Brexit reality dawns this has to be a 100% owned by the Tories. Could be some resignations from the shadow Front Bench.

I think the longer conversation and discussion can take place for anyone minded to do so. But the message he has given with this (surprise) action is to voters his party might have lost because of Labour’s previous Brexit position:

I accept your choice, and this is better than the alternative of a No Deal.

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Will be interesting to hear the detail of the deal and informed analysis, once that is possible

It's always difficult to find this the whole thing and individual parts will either be voiced as good or bad depending on how people want to see it. 

• Like 1