Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Strokes

Getting brexit done!

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Not sure it is bait though. I think that's an honestly held opinion. Scary.

Scary and very, very weird.

It could well be honestly held opinion but it's communicated in a way very clearly designed to inflame and encourage argument. That's the textbook description of bait without needing to know the beliefs behind it IMO.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101865/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-apply-FRENCH-citizenship-Brexit.html

lol

"Boris Johnson's father is trying to get a French passport after Brexit, he revealed today on the eve of the UK's departure from the bloc after more than four decades. Stanley Johnson confirmed he he was in the process of applying for citizenship in the country of his mother's birth to maintain his ties with the EU. Mr Johnson, 80, a former MEP who voted Remain in Britain's 2016 referendum, told RTL radio he wanted to become a French citizen because of strong family links to France"

Of course he is. Brexit gives you all the benefits of the EU as long as you're rich enough or retain familial links to an EU nation. No doubt plenty of Leave voters will be happy to hypocritically make use of Irish grandparents for the same purpose?

Meanwhile English of English of English like me without much in the way of wealth are stuck - both here and in longer queues at airports. Sound.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Of course he is. Brexit gives you all the benefits of the EU as long as you're rich enough or retain familial links to an EU nation. No doubt plenty of Leave voters will be happy to hypocritically make use of Irish grandparents for the same purpose?

Meanwhile English of English of English like me without much in the way of wealth are stuck - both here and in longer queues at airports. Sound.

I'm sure you're right, though Stanley Johnson was a Remainer, along with all Bozza's siblings but not his Mum, as I recall.

Meanwhile, like Stanley, I've opportunistically - but not hypocritically - used my Irish parentage to retain EU rights. :whistle:

One bit of good news I read earlier is that EHIC health insurance cards remain valid until they expire - so I'm covered until 2022 (though they never did provide universal cover).

Health insurance for trips to the EU will be a dilemma after that. I've only ever bought health insurance when I went to Latin America, not Europe, and would still do the same now if I was younger.....but I'm not.

9 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'm sure you're right, though Stanley Johnson was a Remainer, along with all Bozza's siblings but not his Mum, as I recall.

Meanwhile, like Stanley, I've opportunistically - but not hypocritically - used my Irish parentage to retain EU rights. :whistle:

One bit of good news I read earlier is that EHIC health insurance cards remain valid until they expire - so I'm covered until 2022 (though they never did provide universal cover).

Health insurance for trips to the EU will be a dilemma after that. I've only ever bought health insurance when I went to Latin America, not Europe, and would still do the same now if I was younger.....but I'm not.

My missus is also going to be on the same tip, she's just sorting out her documents for it. Sadly there's no loophole where spouses can gain citizenship, though any future kids of ours could from what I understand.

• Like 1

https://neweuropeans.net/article/3471/value-uk-citizenship-drops-271-quality-nationality-index

At midnight the strength of the British passport falls from 8th in the world to 35th, reflecting of the loss of the rights to work, reside and travel without any restrictions in all the EU.

This is despite being told that we would retain the "exact same benefits" as EU membership.

I'm wondering if there is a country in Europe where people would be so blasé about it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

https://neweuropeans.net/article/3471/value-uk-citizenship-drops-271-quality-nationality-index

At midnight the strength of the British passport falls from 8th in the world to 35th, reflecting of the loss of the rights to work, reside and travel without any restrictions in all the EU.

This is despite being told that we would retain the "exact same benefits" as EU membership.

I'm wondering if there is a country in Europe where people would be so blasé about it.

Stop it you'll scare the Brexiters.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yeah, but fish.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RoboFox said:

Yeah, but fish.

More like Romanians. We're out of the single market mostly because Brexiters wanted to end free movement. They just didn't realise they were ending it only for Britons. I seem to remember they were getting high on the idea of free movement in the 'anglosphere' despite the leaders of those countries voicing their opposition to Brexit. It was another surreal moment. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, bovril said:

Yes but at least it's blue.

I don't tend to get too involved in all this because I've been bored shitless by it all in the past few years but the excitement at blue passports was one of the great wonders of our time. I mean, who gives a ****?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

That's a lot of points to lose.  According to the methodology behind the system, we would have been better off entering a bloody civil war and having an economy smaller than Liechtenstein than this.  We could only have lost 25% by descending to anarchy and penury, we can lose 30% by losing the automatic right to a job in the EU.

It's a very strange index!  :D

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

Probably not.

But the typical Brexiter has such a bizarre, misplaced belief in British exceptionalism that anything challenging that view is just dismissed arbitrarily as 'Project Fear'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

That's a lot of points to lose.  According to the methodology behind the system, we would have been better off entering a bloody civil war and having an economy smaller than Liechtenstein than this.  We could only have lost 25% by descending to anarchy and penury, we can lose 30% by losing the automatic right to a job in the EU.

It's a very strange index!  :D

I'm impressed you downloaded the paper and read the "methodology" in the time it took you to reply.

Strength of passport indexes are based on rights to work and travel in desirable countries visa free, not the size of a country's economy or their security situation. So I think it's logical that proportionally the British passport will lose more of its pre-2021 value than the Libyan passport as a result of their civil war. 

Edited by bovril
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm impressed you downloaded the paper and read the "methodology" in the time it took you to reply.

Strength of passport indexes are based on rights to work and travel in desirable countries visa free, not the size of a country's economy or their security situation. So I think it's logical that proportionally the British passport will lose more of its pre-2021 value than the Libyan passport as a result of their civil war. 

You mean this site is wrong?  This site says that strength of economy is 15% of the score, peace and prosperity 10%, and combined settlement freedom 30%.  It looked like an authoritative site to me - do you have a better one?

https://www.nationalityindex.com/methodology

My point being, a country that has perfect scores all round will lose 25% if they start a civil war and lose all their money, but will lose 30% if they lose the automatic right to work abroad.  So if certain parties had dropped a nuclear bomb on all our major cities and has destroyed our economy, but we had stayed in the EU, we wouldn't have lost so many points.

2 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

You mean this site is wrong?  This site says that strength of economy is 15% of the score, peace and prosperity 10%, and combined settlement freedom 30%.  It looked like an authoritative site to me - do you have a better one?

https://www.nationalityindex.com/methodology

My point being, a country that has perfect scores all round will lose 25% if they start a civil war and lose all their money, but will lose 30% if they lose the automatic right to work abroad.  So if certain parties had dropped a nuclear bomb on all our major cities and has destroyed our economy, but we had stayed in the EU, we wouldn't have lost so many points.

Well I suppose if someone had dropped a bomb on all our major cities we wouldn't be able to work abroad either :ph34r:

1 hour ago, bovril said:

More like Romanians. We're out of the single market mostly because Brexiters wanted to end free movement. They just didn't realise they were ending it only for Britons. I seem to remember they were getting high on the idea of free movement in the 'anglosphere' despite the leaders of those countries voicing their opposition to Brexit. It was another surreal moment. 

When are all the Europeans being sent home..??

And UK Citizens around the European-mainland with no Permit being sent back to UK..??

• Haha 1

UK and EU agree that Gibraltar will join the Schengen Area so as to maintain free movement: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55497084

"Once Gibraltar joins it, EU citizens arriving from Spain or another Schengen country will avoid passport checks, while arrivals from the UK will have to go through passport control, as is already the case".

:blink:;)

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9101865/Boris-Johnsons-father-Stanley-apply-FRENCH-citizenship-Brexit.html

lol

"Boris Johnson's father is trying to get a French passport after Brexit, he revealed today on the eve of the UK's departure from the bloc after more than four decades. Stanley Johnson confirmed he he was in the process of applying for citizenship in the country of his mother's birth to maintain his ties with the EU. Mr Johnson, 80, a former MEP who voted Remain in Britain's 2016 referendum, told RTL radio he wanted to become a French citizen because of strong family links to France"

Purely out of balance, I’m pretty sure he’s historically been quite a staunch Remainer, potentially to an extent where you could call him a Europhile. 

Although if I recall correctly he may have come out with a couple pro-Brexit statements since his son took over, so in that case it’s very much pot something, kettle something, black. 

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Am I wrong or was it MattP, the cheeky bugger, who quite vocally backed Brexit then after the vote announced his intention to grab an Irish passport through his grandad? lol 

I know my dad is looking into it, unfortunately it’s a generation out for me so I’m stuck with the blue downgrade. 

5 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Am I wrong or was it MattP, the cheeky bugger, who quite vocally backed Brexit then after the vote announced his intention to grab an Irish passport through his grandad? lol 

Yeah, I think it was. I assume he was only joking but there are plenty who'll definitely be doing it on the sly while continuing to tell the rest of us how lucky we are to be free of the EU bind...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Goodbye UK....:wave:

45 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Where are you going? 

34 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

He's already in Germany 🇩🇪 

Leaving the EU doesn't mean the UK is going anywhere. The noisy neighbours are still here. We're all Europeans, ain't we.