Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Stringer article on BBC

Stringer is a terrible commentator and this article is self centred rubbish - his brief may have been put a personal spin on the title win but it still seems overtly about him. Shame RL don't seem to consider other options..

Probably best example of right place right time, I suspect if the clubs trajectory hadn't been what it was RL may have pied him off...

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Like what?

Like when he was hellbent on stirring controversy after every game trying to get Pearson sacked, culminating in Stringer - the local radio commentator - making a cut throat gesture towards our manager after a defeat.  He got spotted, the players took offence, he refused to be a man and apologise, the BBC refused to put somebody else on interview duty, the rest is history.

• Like 3

Used to like listening to the football forum on Monday when used to be Stringer/Al Young or Matt Elliott, it was good show. Can't stand it now, since Matt Piper stepped into the fold as co-commentator the pair have become so childish and irratting. I mean could Radio Leicester least gone for someone who actually was succesful at our club. 

1 hour ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Like what?

We haven't heard from ANY players as a result. That's inclusive of the title winning season and champions league campaign. 

Stringer, and NOBODY else, is responsible for that being made unavailable to RL listeners. 

The guy being a dick has cost that. I'm not engaging you any more on this as this is old ground, ploughed regularly. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

We haven't heard from ANY players as a result. That's inclusive of the title winning season and champions league campaign. 

Stringer, and NOBODY else, is responsible for that being made unavailable to RL listeners. 

The guy being a dick has cost that. I'm not engaging you any more on this as this is old ground, ploughed regularly. 

I mean - it's clearly annoying to anyone who relies on the radio for player interviews - but we're now in the most exposed league in the world with countless media outlets covering both it and us. It's not as if anything the players would say to Radio Leicester wouldn't have been said, and be readily accessible, anywhere else.

2 hours ago, Langston said:

I mean - it's clearly annoying to anyone who relies on the radio for player interviews - but we're now in the most exposed league in the world with countless media outlets covering both it and us. It's not as if anything the players would say to Radio Leicester wouldn't have been said, and be readily accessible, anywhere else.

Is that the point though? It's only through circumstance that thats the case. We could easily be in the championship now with Radio Leicester being one of very few chances to hear from the players, and Radio Leicester overlooked their employees astounding arrogance and petulance and basically we missed out as a result. 

Also, there's things you can ask as a local broadcaster that watches the club week in week out that national media will completely overlook. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Matt Piper is the BEST pundit RL have had since ive been listening.

A truly knowledgeable and intelligent ex-player, who isnt afraid to be honest without the need for hyperbole, but also isnt afraid to say where he sees deficiencies.He clearly understands the game and can explain his thoughts well.

Agreed. He's a million times better than when they used to have him on 10 years ago. His knowledge as a coach shines through and more importantly his knowledge of today's game is there. Far too many pundits on tv and radio belong in the 70s and 80s when it was a very different game. Alan Young was a prime example of that.

3 hours ago, Langston said:

Wait - the players are still not talking to Stringer after all of these years? 

I'd be interested to know why people still listen to his commentary? 

I think there was one cup game where we were forced to but other than that there's alway been a stream available. 

Maybe people are at work or travelling in the car (poor timing if the latter as surely you time travel around games) but I really don't see the need for Stringer. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I'd be interested to know why people still listen to his commentary? 

I think there was one cup game where we were forced to but other than that there's alway been a stream available. 

Maybe people are at work or travelling in the car (poor timing if the latter as surely you time travel around games) but I really don't see the need for Stringer. 

There's many reasons people might rely on Radio Leicester like the reasons you mention. Not to mention it can be a unique way of getting access to the club. Admittedly we get that now with LCTV but at one point when the club and station had a good relationship, the station would get the first interviews with chairmen and managers etc. That's all been tossed away over the station backing their man. Admirable on their part maybe, but its meant we all dont get the access we should do from a service which is after all public funded.

5 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Is that the point though? It's only through circumstance that thats the case. We could easily be in the championship now with Radio Leicester being one of very few chances to hear from the players, and Radio Leicester overlooked their employees astounding arrogance and petulance and basically we missed out as a result. 

Also, there's things you can ask as a local broadcaster that watches the club week in week out that national media will completely overlook. 

I'm not saying it's on, really - he was clearly a cock. But it doesn't affect fans as much as people make out, surely? We *could* be in the Championship, yeah - but we aren't.

When the players could talk to RL I rarely heard anything other than the usual soundbites.

14 hours ago, Langston said:

I'm not saying it's on, really - he was clearly a cock. But it doesn't affect fans as much as people make out, surely? We *could* be in the Championship, yeah - but we aren't.

When the players could talk to RL I rarely heard anything other than the usual soundbites.

The point is should we be sacrificing the thousands of listeners getting part of service they were getting just because of the actions of one ego maniac. 

On 31/12/2019 at 06:33, Collymore said:

Wait - the players are still not talking to Stringer after all of these years? 

Yeah the manager talks to him, but no players will interview with him. Believe that refusal is set from the bigger figures such as Kasper and Vardy. Doubt they'll change that until either the old core leave or Stringer leaves. Was made funnier the other year by Fuchs doing an interview with Ady Dayman (spelling could be off) for a daytime  RL show but none will speak to Stringer

Edited by UniFox21

Anyone noticed how that Owen chap who is on with Stringer and Piper is trying to morph his style exactly the same as Stringers? He tries to talk like him and make cr@p jokes like him, its painful as he clealrly idolises the bloke!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1