Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Stringer article on BBC

31 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Arsenal 2-5 at the KP, Sanchez was on fire

That was a bizarre game,

we was good enough to win that game but I also remember leaving thinking that was the best team I’ve ever seen us play at the kp when you look at the finishing and how they counter attacked,

who would have foreseen that with a 6 point handicap we would better them by 10 points😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Okay. I am a father, and it is completely believable, especially if you aren't on a 9-5 job. Those slings can be sleep factories, and a baby carriage (2 months) is often more hassle than it's worth.

Me too.

As for Stringer, he's in the moukd of Chapman, Bruce-Ball, Jason Fletcher, etc. When he commentates he's ok, its the froth, like this article,  that irritates me.

3 hours ago, Mikw said:

"Stringy" is a decent local radio football commentator.

I have met him a few times and he does have an ego. One of the times he was boasting about the size of his knob......

"We don't need you, we've got Ian Stringer. His c***  f****** massive" lol

Edited by TK95

I don't mind his commentary so much. It's enthusiastic at least; so it's a shame really. I think some of the hate is OTT, but he doesn't help himself.

He does turn everything into some sort of story about him. It's quite narcissistic and irritating. And I remember a news story around the time he was on the Apprentice.

I remember when he fell out with Pearson how he'd try to turn everything against Pearson. You'd listen to people call in and he'd twist it and almost argue with people who defended Pearson. Whilst Pearson was far from blameless (I actually felt sorry for Stringer in some interviews), it was still annoying and backfired when we started doing well. Some of the interviews when we were doing badly it seemed like he was almost goading Pearson. There's a reason the players stopped being interviewed on BBC Radio Leicester (and I think still aren't).

Edited by Guesty
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I went for a walk at 7am on that Monday morning with my two-month-old son. He was strapped to my chest, allowing me to contemplate my options.

😂😂😂 Sounds completely untrue 

Such is the geography of our city, the bathing room has a view of the King Power Stadium.

Its not geography that a building has a room facing towards a location. 

That night at the Bridge, the Chelsea fans were singing Ranieri's name. "Do it for Claudio" one screamed in the stands next to me. I heard him and it made my nose tickle. I thought of Oliver, my little boy who was going to be forced to support his local team. It's how it works in cities like ours, to stop the youth being lost to the 'big clubs'.

😂😂😂 Nose tickle?!?

Pre-match, Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino was like an expectant father, pacing the corridors. This time, his waiting room was a small technical area in a west London football stadium, where no visitors were allowed. He was alone.

Continues the weird fetish surrounding babies being delivered 

There were tears cleaning the London dust off my shoes.

😂😂

I think we can all agree that he isn't a journalist, let alone a writer.

Doing a half-decent job on radio, however. Far from the best, but certainly not the worst, having heard what other local BBC listeners around the country have to put up with. 

Dont know why so many of you get your pants in a twist about stringer. If you dont like him then dont listen.....

To be fair, whilst he's never going to win any awards, he's certainly not as bad as some of you make out.

He's a very passionate Leicester fan like most of us and tries his best to bring us commentary on every single game, what's with some of the strong comments? Not to mention we get an interview with the manager after every game which i personally enjoy when driving back from the game 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Dont know why so many of you get your pants in a twist about stringer. If you dont like him then dont listen.....

To be fair, whilst he's never going to win any awards, he's certainly not as bad as some of you make out.

He's a very passionate Leicester fan like most of us and tries his best to bring us commentary on every single game, what's with some of the strong comments? Not to mention we get an interview with the manager after every game which i personally enjoy when driving back from the game 

Sorry, but that’s just such a shit point. It’s not unreasonable for some of us to want our local football coverage to be more listenable and less self indulgent - particularly when the output from national stations is so heavily skewed towards the so called bigger clubs. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Agree entirely. Move on and let's discuss something more debatable and interesting. 

I used to work with him back in 2010-11 and he was always a decent bloke (as were Jason Bourne, John Sinclair and Charles Dagnall, even if Daggers was a Burnley fan) and contrary to what a few people have suggested, easy to work with.

Obviously you can't please everyone but I'm happy to hear him commentating on games when I'm away with work and can't find a way to watch.

I think he sometimes rubs people up the wrong way because we all love Leicester SO much that even the slightest irritating thing can be magnified by a million.

Am curious: did we all dislike his predecessors too?  I can't imagine anyone disliking Neville Foulger so maybe that disproves my point above!

Don't get me started on BBC Leicester as a whole though... am still bitter about that :D 

29 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Sorry, but that’s just such a shit point. It’s not unreasonable for some of us to want our local football coverage to be more listenable and less self indulgent - particularly when the output from national stations is so heavily skewed towards the so called bigger clubs. 

Stringer is far from perfect but we get up to date information, coverage on EVERY game, additional football forums on radio Leicester, interview with the manager after games and good opinions/insight from Matt piper

Could be a hell of alot worse 

Edited by chris_lcfc_85
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Not to mention we get an interview with the manager after every game which i personally enjoy when driving back from the game 

Yeah I believe that’s not been done by stringer now for five years because the players had enough of his constant chirps at then the manager. Most player and manager interviews post match are those conducted by 5Live 

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Yeah I believe that’s not been done by stringer now for five years because the players had enough of his constant chirps at then the manager. Most player and manager interviews post match are those conducted by 5Live 

I think, haven't listened in a while, that Brendan still talks to Radio Leicester, the players don't due to the long standing issues

43 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Stringer is far from perfect but we get up to date information, coverage on EVERY game, additional football forums on radio Leicester, interview with the manager after games and good opinions/insight from Matt piper

Could be a hell of alot worse 

That’s the job though. The news broadcaster tells me what’s going on and the weather reporter lets me know whether it’s likely to rain or shine but all without telling me that they created the universe and what they had in their sandwich whilst doing it. If Stringer did the weather it would be all about how the sun actually first shined out of his own arsehole

Football Forum programmes (which are now more about Ian than fan input), manager interviews etc pre date Stringer’s  involvement 

There was a time when the players would do interviews too

Edited by Mike Oxlong

51 minutes ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

Stringer interviews Rodgers after every game 

That's a bare minimum of expectancy. He SHOULD interview him, the players and have them on the forum on occasion. 

They won't because they, the players who have dealt with him professionally, refuse to engage with him. 

I've never met him but that should tell you all you need to know about the man. If I were so objectionable that people refused to interact with me at work I'd get sacked. 

I listen to the Leicester City Football Forum podcast on Spotify on my way to work and I actually don't think he's too bad. What bothers me is how limited he is in providing sensible, well-thought football analysis. Whenever they have guests from Talksport or 442, or other football writers in, you realise just how far away from that Stringer actually is. Worst thing is, a lot of these guys don't religiously watch Leicester like Stringer does, yet they can provide a much more holistic conversatio about them.