Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HighPeakFox

Stringer article on BBC

Classic Partridge 

The Italian was too smart for that. He let them go, they bonded, had a few orange juices and came back the strongest and most determined group I've witnessed. They would protect their 18-yard box like Michelangelo did his pepperoni pizza

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Owen whatsisname is young so hopefully there's scope for improvement, but he comes across as a kind of Stringer mini-me, slightly less self-important (who isn't?) but just as irritatingly careerist and humourless.

The BBC is a slow-moving, box-ticking and increasingly irrelevant organisation. So its appointments tend to be safe, dull, formulaic and self-defeating.

Matt Piper adds a great deal though, he speaks very well and has genuine insight into the modern game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy G said:

Anyone noticed how that Owen chap who is on with Stringer and Piper is trying to morph his style exactly the same as Stringers? He tries to talk like him and make cr@p jokes like him, its painful as he clealrly idolises the bloke!

This. If you think Stringer is a bad commentator, when this Owen fella sits in for him, it is awful. 

On 29/12/2019 at 12:57, HighPeakFox said:

So annoying that he's managed to make it about him. And the errors that BBC Sport let through are pathetic - Mahrez scored the 2nd at Man City.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50885742

I didn’t actually know who was writing it to start off with, got as far as about 4 lines in and thought to myself, this guys talking about himself so much it’s got to be stringer. 

Went back to the top saw it was didn’t read anymore.

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Haha 1

On 29/12/2019 at 19:44, foxile5 said:

The abuse comes from the fact that he has repeatedly tried to meddle on club affairs. 

He's eminently dislikable, too. He's been known to run through Coalville memorial parade clad in pink lycra to maximise his exposure. 

Fundamentally, people have found him a dick and act accordingly. 

100% this, if you like Stringer you’ve either not been following the club long enough or you’ve not been following the club closely enough. The club has cut him off for a reason. 

I did like him, he was a breath of fresh air after barber, but unfortunately his ambition far out weighs his ability’s like most people who go on that show and the ones with the biggest gap between the two are the ones that go early, like he did. 

Do your job as a journalist, and if you’ve got your own agenda, hide it much better than he does.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

100% this, if you like Stringer you’ve either not been following the club long enough or you’ve not been following the club closely enough. The club has cut him off for a reason. 

I did like him, he was a breath of fresh air after barber, but unfortunately his ambition far out weighs his ability’s like most people who go on that show and the ones with the biggest gap between the two are the ones that go early, like he did. 

Do your job as a journalist, and if you’ve got your own agenda, hide it much better than he does.

Spot on. 

It might be because he comes across as so insincere but I think its a bit of a myth about him being a massive fan prior to him getting that job.

Wonder if anyone ever saw him at the Walkers / Filbert Street prior to 2008?

Edited by hebangsthedrums

21 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

This is probably the most unforgivable thing. He has a transparent agenda and he should be impartial. 

It's not okay to try and remove a manager from his position just because you don't like him. And, in my opinion, it makes him less of a fan. 

There’s a whole load of inconsistency with Stringer.

Whenever he’s gone into investigative journalist mode (which is when he’s at his worst: he’s a radio presenter not a tabloid journalist) he trots out the line “look, we’re not here to be fans, we have to maintain impartiality and ask the difficult questions”. But does this article read like impartiality? When he commentates on goals with cringeworthy antagonistic lines like “good night Unai Emery” and “how do you like that Newcastle?” does he sound like a professional or a fan?

You quickly learn that the common denominator is that Ian Stringer is whatever it is best for Ian Stringer to be. That he inserts himself into the story to the point of making it about him than the actual story.

Edited by Freeman's Wharfer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Stoopid said:

Owen whatsisname is young so hopefully there's scope for improvement, but he comes across as a kind of Stringer mini-me, slightly less self-important (who isn't?) but just as irritatingly careerist and humourless.

The BBC is a slow-moving, box-ticking and increasingly irrelevant organisation. So its appointments tend to be safe, dull, formulaic and self-defeating.

Matt Piper adds a great deal though, he speaks very well and has genuine insight into the modern game.

Their bellicose backslapping and their utter disregard for Newcastle fans was bordering on the unprofessional in the aftermath of the game the other day. It left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. And I'm someone who doesn't normally mind Stringer and quite likes the RL coverage. And, credit where it's due, their coverage of the helicopter tragedy was excellent and very professional. It' a shame they let themselves down at other times imo.

Piper is brilliant though. Consistently honest and forthright. Down to earth but not afraid to tackle big topics and issues around football with humility as well as passion. Top bloke, he is.

• Like 4

Anyone remember Arlo White who was also radio Leicester few years back.I think he may have family links to USA but does a lot of commentary on NBC sports footy .Very good indeed and balanced /informed / funny at times ,The boy did well .

As did Jon Agnew ,Alan Smith,Lord David Gower and old big ears  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Anyone remember Arlo White who was also radio Leicester few years back.I think he may have family links to USA but does a lot of commentary on NBC sports footy .Very good indeed and balanced /informed / funny at times ,The boy did well .

Let's not forget Geoff,he might be an irritating music snob but his commentary on

talk sport is excellent.I'm surprised he's not been picked up by one of the tv companies.

10 minutes ago, dynamark said:

Then there's Manish Bhasin and Ian Carter (Radio 5's golf bloke).

Bloody Leicester fans get everywhere!

1 hour ago, dynamark said:

Arlo White is the top play-by-play commentator for NBC Sports. I know he grew up a Leicester Supporter, but he maintains a level of impartiality that you would expect from a neutral observer. 

Ian Stringer, however, works for Radio Leicester, so I do not believe he needs to be completely impartial. What I would expect from someone in his position is to be a supporter of the club throughout the broadcast, even to the point of having a slight bias, but maintaining the decorum and professional nature of a broadcast journalist. Criticism of his ability as a play-by-play broadcaster, and his over the top nature can be justified. 

That said, I am uncomfortable of the personal attacks and piling on.

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

I particularly hate it when he says "the woodmans stroke pub"

I used to think this, but the pub's name is actually The Woodman's Stroke Pub rather than The Woodman's (/ pub).

Took several months for the penny to drop. Rothley (or wherever it is) being somewhere I rarely find myself in the neighbourhood of...

3 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I used to think this, but the pub's name is actually The Woodman's Stroke Pub rather than The Woodman's (/ pub).

Took several months for the penny to drop. Rothley (or wherever it is) being somewhere I rarely find myself in the neighbourhood of...

Me too... only figured it out this season lol

2 hours ago, Tiny earl said:

Let's not forget Geoff,he might be an irritating music snob but his commentary on

talk sport is excellent.I'm surprised he's not been picked up by one of the tv companies.

Been called many things in my time, and plenty of bad things, but that is very much a new one on me!!!!! #confused 

4 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Their bellicose backslapping and their utter disregard for Newcastle fans was bordering on the unprofessional in the aftermath of the game the other day. It left a bad taste in my mouth to be honest. And I'm someone who doesn't normally mind Stringer and quite likes the RL coverage. And, credit where it's due, their coverage of the helicopter tragedy was excellent and very professional. It' a shame they let themselves down at other times imo.

Piper is brilliant though. Consistently honest and forthright. Down to earth but not afraid to tackle big topics and issues around football with humility as well as passion. Top bloke, he is.

Last time I met Piper in person (some time ago now) he was a complete and utter nob, and I mean utter nob. But from what I've read it was probably about the same time he was struggling with drink so give him the benefit as he's suppose to be alright.  

As a commentator and pundit he's improved drastically over the years

Edited by Manwell Pablo

• 2 months later...