Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

Not joining City

17 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Regardless of what people think happened with Curtis Davies, he's an absolute class act of a bloke.

well he definitely tweeted he was on his way to join the Sven revolution... but never turned up!

its ok that he made a career decision though, people do it all the time!

59 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Also didn't Klose get talked about during Nige / Sven's era? I remember someone involved in recruitment coming out a few years back and saying that. Unless I've completely dreamt it 

nothing genuine. i do remember someone posted on here about being linked tho,  i don't know if it was a joke or not. looking at the thread it looks like diomansy kamara was the guy who ended up joining on loan lol 

24 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

nothing genuine. i do remember someone posted on here about being linked tho,  i don't know if it was a joke or not. looking at the thread it looks like diomansy kamara was the guy who ended up joining on loan lol 

After a Google it was legit (!) - Rob McKenzie quote with a bit about Milik too:

Some targets City have identified they simply haven’t been able to land, and Mackenzie recalls a couple of players who were ‘the ones who got away.’

“Miroslav Klose, he was definitely one,” said Mackenzie.

“Another one was Arkadiusz Milik, who we tried to sign twice. The first time when he was playing in Poland aged 18. He was over achieving. We declared an interest and we watched him.

“He went to Bayer Leverkusen who were a bigger club at the time. We took it on the chin, but then we tried again when he became available. Steve and Nigel flew to Germany to try to convince him to come to Leicester, initially on loan with a view to buy.

“Unfortunately, he chose Ajax and their tradition and pedigree."

• Like 1

I'm sure we always used to get linked with Danny Murphy because I always wanted the rumours to be true. Would have been class even late on his career he was still a good footballer and we were only a Championship side then. 

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I'm sure we always used to get linked with Danny Murphy because I always wanted the rumours to be true. Would have been class even late on his career he was still a good footballer and we were only a Championship side then. 

OK till he opens his trap.

• Like 1

Sven basically signed everyone who he used to know from England cos every agent who knew anyone from his England days rang him up and said "hey sven wanna sign this lad who was gonna be the next Gerrard? Hes playing against Bury u21s right now and hes 20 stone but trust me he's sound lad."

And thats the Sven Era.

On 23/01/2020 at 00:46, foxile5 said:

Curtis Davis too. On route to join us but opted for Villa. 

Actually its more embarrassing than that, he chose then Premier League Birmingham City, we were at the time a Championship club

On 06/04/2020 at 21:31, 49er said:

In the seventies:

John Toshack

Allan Hunter

Alan Beer (signed Lanier Robertson instead)

If i recall, Toshack failed a medical, we pulled out of the deal, he went back to Liverpool and promptly scored a hat trick the following saturday.

18 minutes ago, Corky said:

Weren't we close to getting Eidur Gudjohnsen before he joined Chelsea and we ended up signing Akinbiyi instead?

I think we were linked with a young Craig Bellamy at Norwich, but went for Ade instead

4 hours ago, urban fox said:

If i recall, Toshack failed a medical, we pulled out of the deal, he went back to Liverpool and promptly scored a hat trick the following saturday.

Think we were also interested in David Johnson who was at Ipswich

On 23/01/2020 at 00:46, foxile5 said:

Curtis Davis too. On route to join us but opted for Villa. 

He was mint on loan for us, if i remember right, fancy boots, was the era of the Gallagher flick on from goal kicks maybe L1.  He looked a class above, remember thinking we'd never manage keep hold of players like.

54 minutes ago, Corky said:

Weren't we close to getting Eidur Gudjohnsen before he joined Chelsea and we ended up signing Akinbiyi instead?

I think we signed the wrong Icelandic player from Bolton by mistake and got Arnar Gunnlaugsson instead lol

Hasselbaink would've been half decent for us that season, solid if unspectacular at Cardiff and seems a decent guy to have kicking about.

Mandaric also had a deal agreed to sign Derek Riordan around the same era, contributed to the fallout between him and Allen. Signing him would've been my dream in all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I think this thread is about them playing not their career afterwards.

This thread was about players that would be regretting not joining us. 

It seems to have veered organically towards nearly signings. 

• Like 1