Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gamble92

BBC Radio Leicester Coverage of Helicopter Crash up for award

To be honest, I hate him (I’ll make no bones about it), but I thought Stringer conducted himself well during the tragedy in the main. 

I can’t say I agree with people being nominated for awards off the back of terrible situations like this though. That seems like some Black Mirror shit to me. It’s certainly not the ****ing moment of the year either it was ****ing awful - obviously!!! 

28 minutes ago, Manini said:

To be honest, I hate him (I’ll make no bones about it), but I thought Stringer conducted himself well during the tragedy in the main. 

I can’t say I agree with people being nominated for awards off the back of terrible situations like this though. That seems like some Black Mirror shit to me. It’s certainly not the ****ing moment of the year either it was ****ing awful - obviously!!! 

Interesting view. I just don't think it's a coincidence that his coverage was accused of seeming all about him and more of an opportunity, and then he gets an award nomination. 

Guest Markyblue

To be honest i dont give a flying one about stringer either way , i just don't want to have the darkest day in our history up for any kind of award. Firefighters or police maybe but not the f..king media coverage. 

Wow, that's quite low to even have an award nomination for. 

How would you even feel if you won it anyway?

*our football club's chairman died but I won an award on the back of it and I'm so proud*. 

Just feels weird. I don't agree with it at all. 

Trying hard to be objective here but

I have no problem with awards being nominated for coverage of news events. It happens all the time, even in the BAFTAs etc I think. Journalists are recognised for coverage of the events they bring to us - going back to Kate Adie and probably long before.

However, I don't feel there was anything remarkable about Stringer's or Radio Leicester's coverage of the event. Stinger's monologue, straight from the Tony Blair "People's Princess" school of lip quivering delivery, was cringe worthy. He does his best to convey what should be a moving image of a man and his child laying flowers but manages to make it all about him - as seems to be a regular trait of his reporting.

I can't work out though if I dislike the piece because I am already biased in that I find Stringer to be an irritating, self serving, moron and therefore I automatically dislike anything which comes out of his mouth. Maybe in the wider world, his piece might fare better among listeners who haven't heard his prattle before.

Edited by stripeyfox

4 hours ago, Markyblue said:

To be honest i dont give a flying one about stringer either way , i just don't want to have the darkest day in our history up for any kind of award. Firefighters or police maybe but not the f..king media coverage. 

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Ugh. 

Why would anyone think it's appropriate to give an award for something like this. 

I have had Close friends and aquaintences,Associated with freepress/freelance/ and Reuters,covering various Worldwide Events or Finding Local happy/tragedies stories,that went World Wide either  for Documentoral-magazines,or decent famous Broadsheet Reporting & photos.

For the Leicester fan,especially the hard-rooted fan,it Maybe just too close,and the hurt still too deep.

For World Wide observers,there is a Story behind the tragedy. Like some other Great past journalism,reporting,or just photos,there is always "The Story"  for itself,the History und person leading up to that moment, also the interest of the Now and what the future holds,because of the unknown consequences.

I Haven seen it...I have seen so much Film and photos,plus the reports on that tragic evening...At The moment for me,its enough,it actually still hurts.

That said,there is a Local journalist,Close to club,covering his Club both has a journalist & fan. If anybody has the right or sits-right to Report on the " Event" and the surrounding,known/unknown Connections and stories,then surely that would be someone like Stringer....

Probably its prudent,to Take First a Step backward,before denouncing or demeaning the report,or in fact  any judgement Any whichway.....

That said I Havent seen it,I have Never Really Listened to Stringer regularly,I have Not built up an opinion on him,only some wise cracks,positive or negative,when

I have heard/Read his reports or Listened to his commentary  occasionally....Many of you would have a more Closer "listener" association or repor with him,even

Knowing him..but also still emotionally Close to that tragic -evening.....Hes tried to put out and show involvement the best HE himself can...

Before beating down on him,Think to yourselves,how would you have presented it,and faced that arkwardness of Reporting necessity...??

Just putting Another thought in the table....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3

Disgusted by this.

On a simple human level, not as fan but just as a reasonable decent person this makes me sick to my stomach.

He's not reporting on a famine to save lives for gods sake. 

I work in the media and in my opinion everyone involved in these awards should resign before this goes viral and their career is ended.

In agreeance with many others, this is really distasteful.

Having a close connection to the club like that surely you’d feel some kind of guilt? 

Not saying there’s anything wrong for acknowledging a professional broadcast (if it even was that) but this is a step too far. 

Really cannot understand why they didn't contact the Radio Times and ask to be removed given the circumstance and sensitivity of the incident.

Instead Stringer posts it on Twitter touting for votes.

I went for TMS btw - best moment of the year.

3 hours ago, darko2k7 said:

Overdosing man phones in, 19 December 2018 – Iain Lee, talkRADIO gets my vote. 

Had my vote too, the worst but best bit of radio I’ve ever heard (If that makes sense) 

saw the plane crash was nominated but couldn’t vote for it. Seems a bit disrespectful to me, and couldn’t do with Stringers “me me me” reporting of it 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Really cannot understand why they didn't contact the Radio Times and ask to be removed given the circumstance and sensitivity of the incident.

Instead Stringer posts it on Twitter touting for votes.

I went for TMS btw - best moment of the year.

Ego.