Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

41 minutes ago, Benguin said:

What are peoples thoughts on the growing infringement of people's liberties to mitigate the virus? Or as Boris puts it "taking draconian measures*

I don't particularly have a strong view yet but definitley something I care about outside of a pandemic. 

Obviously it's not practical for our health care system to let this spread but is it practical to be housebound for several months? Which one outweighs which? 

Necessary imo. 

I have a former colleague who is still being forced to go into work currently, in a office with 10 people. They have the facilities to work from home but as of yet their employer is not giving them permission due to the fact the "work from home" is just guidance. 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I thought he meant lockdown for 'several months'.

Also, self-isolate for 3 months means you can go out (in gardens?) or get some fresh air. Just the highest form of social-distancing other than quarantine, no?

I’ve advise my parents to go out for a drive once a week, still self isolating but getting away from the four walls. Good for the car as well which will need a run. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Shep said:

Same for dog walking which I still intend to do, even if it means getting up early when no one is around. Of cause I’ll be responsible avoiding people like I have been anyway. 

Yeah I feel like walking/running on your own is one of the most responsible ways to exercise in the current situation we’re in. It would be a shame if there were rules on things like that. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Shep said:

I’ve advise my parents to go out for a drive once a week, still self isolating but getting away from the four walls. Good for the car as well which will need a run. 

I would say that's acceptable while in the current terms pre-lockdown.

I'm considering doing that tomorrow. My job usually requires visits and despite being classed as home-worker, I'd usually be out and about 50-60% of the week. Being at home with several visits now restricted, I'd just go crazy staying at home day in, day out. Think tomorrow I just need to get out for a drive, even if it's just for half hour. No social interaction required. Just driving.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I thought he meant lockdown for 'several months'.

Also, self-isolate for 3 months means you can go out (in gardens?) or get some fresh air. Just the highest form of social-distancing other than quarantine, no?

It's a bit more extreme, using your own bathroom, avoiding being in the same room as your children, cleaning all surfaces before you use the kitchen and so on but yes, it's the highest form of social distancing. 

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'm considering doing that tomorrow. My job usually requires visits and despite being classed as home-worker, I'd usually be out and about 50-60% of the week. Being at home with several visits now restricted, I'd just go crazy staying at home day in, day out. Think tomorrow I just need to get out for a drive, even if it's just for half hour. No social interaction required. Just driving.

If the bizarre increase in people driving like morons we have started to see around here  is national, then you may get more “social interaction” than you imagine

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I did the same at the weekend. Went to Earl Shilton and back lol

15 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Those of us who have been included in the shielding have to remain indoors for a minimum of 3 months 

Genuine question. Are you supposed to completely self isolate for that period of time. ie away from other family members in the same house? I wasn't 100% clear on this yesterday.

Well nothing will be open soon so the only thing people can do is go outside for a walk or run or shopping.

Don't see an issue if distance is kept and it's not crowded.

Good luck and keep well !

Sure some of you have the 2015 -16 season on a loop!!

Guest Markyblue

Complete lockdown , there are hundreds of thousands of people who would be leaving their homes every day to go to work in specific jobs, so very hard to check everyone should be out surely. 

For years and years, Spring is the time for eagerly checking football results.   Nearly every night, there's a match involving a team you like or dislike, affecting promotion, relegation or championships.

Now ... every night I check the Internet, it's for one reason only.     The number of deaths.

I pray every day that the death totals will fall.   Every day they fall, it's a little something ... and I hope it will continue tomorrow.

Every day the totals rise, my heart sinks, and you have to fight back the tears.

I love football, and have done for 50 years.   I and will do so again in future.    But at the moment, it doesn't matter.   For me personally the 2019-20 season is dead, finished, gone.    covid-19 has wiped it out, and will wipe out a lot more before it's finished.

Sport will come back, and we will love it even more when it does.   But not just yet.

• Like 4

As far as I'm aware the following have closed, or are imminently going to do so:

Costa

Starbucks

Pret

McDonalds

Nandos
Greggs

Primark

John Lewis

Ikea

Topshop/TopMan (+ all other Arcadia stores)

H&M
Zara

Bodyshop

GAP
New Look

I know they've closed for the benefit of restricting social distancing in line with government guidelines to prevent coronavirus spreading, but anyone else think they knew a lockdown was coming so they have pre-empted it a day or 2 earlier?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, reynard said:

Genuine question. Are you supposed to completely self isolate for that period of time. ie away from other family members in the same house? I wasn't 100% clear on this yesterday.

If that person is showing the symptoms then yes, shared area means lots of cleaning before and after use, very very difficult I appreciate. If everyone is healthy then you should be fine do long as everyone doesn’t interact with any one else outside the house. 

11 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Complete lockdown , there are hundreds of thousands of people who would be leaving their homes every day to go to work in specific jobs, so very hard to check everyone should be out surely. 

Yeah but they'll all have work ID's etc. You can't get everyone everytime, but if people know there's a good chance it will deter some.

Not sure which country it is: you have to send an email or txt message and get a reply everytime you leave your house for a journey. If you're out without a reply you get fined.

Edited by Guesty

51 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I've heard it's been most of the day but I e just driven past the Meridian Macdonald's roundabout and it's jammed because of people queuing to get in. These people seriously need to re-evaluate their life choices.

That's exactly where I drove past. People were trying to skip queues and causing road rage amongst drivers, the roundabout was being blocked by inconsiderate McDonald's hungry drivers. They surely will run out of food before they close. 

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lockdown announced later IMO. Everyone will have a few days to prepare and then lockdown begins. UK nationals being asked to return home, assuming because flights will be stopped or airports will be closed?

If that’s the case we’ve seen **** all yet regarding the supermarkets....

1 minute ago, Manini said:

If that’s the case we’ve seen **** all yet regarding the supermarkets....

I thought that myself, but don't think it'll be immediate, I thought it'd start 12:01am Wednesday. Unless they put something in place where we can get food delivered from the Government or something, which is possible I guess. People are now going to stock up, regardless of us being allowed to go to the shops etc. Plus they need to give people abroad some time to get back home.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lockdown announced later IMO. Everyone will have a few days to prepare and then lockdown begins. UK nationals being asked to return home, assuming because flights will be stopped or airports will be closed?

I think it will be all non-essential shops close tonight. You only have to look at McDonalds to see what happens. Wouldn't suprise me if that was a test for the general public.

Then depending on how that goes a France/Italy type lockdown in a few days. Or maybe they've just decided we can't be trusted and go all the way tonight.

1 minute ago, Suzie the Fox said:

What exactly is a full lockdown? 

Apologies for being thick.

It's not thick because it's different different places, but probably completely locked into your house (obvs can use your garden), and if you go out it needs to be with an important purpose which you will be quizzed on (such as key worker, food shop, medicine shop - and not much else).

Edited by bmt
  • Like 2