Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

If a lock-down has a built-in delay, won't that just cause Londoners to run for the hills before the deadline?

Happened in Milan didn’t it? And it was ridiculous then and it’ll be ridiculous if it happens here. 

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I thought that myself, but don't think it'll be immediate, I thought it'd start 12:01am Wednesday. Unless they put something in place where we can get food delivered from the Government or something, which is possible I guess. People are now going to stock up, regardless of us being allowed to go to the shops etc. Plus they need to give people abroad some time to get back home.

yeah it’s going to be carnage, there’s no danger of essential places like supermarkets closing yet people will act like they’re preparing for a year in an air raid shelter. The one in one out and restrictions on items bought that’s been adopted on the continent seems like the most sensible way to go to me. 

• Like 1

Just now, Manini said:

Happened in Milan didn’t it? And it was ridiculous then and it’ll be ridiculous if it happens here. 

Certainly did, and next thing you know cases popping up everywhere.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

What exactly is a full lockdown? 

Apologies for being thick.

You cannot leave your property unless it’s for essentials from the shop, go to work as a key worker or emergency purposes 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lockdown announced later IMO. Everyone will have a few days to prepare and then lockdown begins. UK nationals being asked to return home, assuming because flights will be stopped or airports will be closed?

Chap on sky news tonight said both Italy and Spain went into lockdown before they had as many die from covid 19 as we have now, so it won't be long away if we are trying not to follow these two countries into it.

But why wait a day or two, lock down from midnight or midday tomorrow and that is it, U.K. Nationals could still return if they have a flight and go straight home.

I don't get too political but I feel Boris is divver  and delaying all of this now, bringing these measures in slowly is probably their way not to panic a nation but it could all go wrong very quickly for them.

28 minutes ago, reynard said:

Genuine question. Are you supposed to completely self isolate for that period of time. ie away from other family members in the same house? I wasn't 100% clear on this yesterday.

If somebody in your house gets it, everybody who lives there is supposed to stay in the house for 14 days. Chances are if somebody in your house has it, you already do as well

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

It's not thick because it's different different places, but probably completely locked into your house (obvs can use your garden), and if you go out it needs to be with an important purpose which you will be quizzed on (such as key worker, food shop, medicine shop - and not much else).

Thank you :)

I am doing that already and have been for the last 10 days. Only been out into town once and that was essential food shopping. Will the lockdown also include going out for a walk? I live in a small village outside of Melton Mowbray so very few people live here and walking a circuit around the village i wouldnt see another soul? 

Edit Just seen @jammie82ukreply. so no more walks :( 

Edited by Suzie the Fox

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Lockdown announced later IMO. Everyone will have a few days to prepare and then lockdown begins. UK nationals being asked to return home, assuming because flights will be stopped or airports will be closed?

They will announce lockdown there and then, theres no chance they'll allow people to panic buy even worse than they have already, staggering it would give people the chance to completely strip the supermarkets and shops, it would cause mass hysteria until the lockdown started

12 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah lockdown from Midnight Thursday according to what was being said earlier as that will give UK nationals time to get back from wherever they are in the world 

The supermarket situation needs to be resolved, a lockdown but you can go shopping is just going to lead to mass numbers still using them at once. Needs to be a clear method, even if you say no more than a certain number at one time, people will just queue outside. 

Maybe give every household a weekly 30 minute slot at their nearest supermarket. Would have to show a letter/text/email to prove its your tkme. And maybe a decidated number for those unable to get into store, will give their order to a picker and this gets delivered. No idea if that is plausible, nor how you would prove it but some sort of organisation needs to be in place. 

2 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I am doing that already and have been for the last 10 days. Only been out into town once and that was essential food shopping. Will the lockdown also include going out for a walk? I live in a small village outside of Melton Mowbray so very few people live here and walking a circuit around the village i wouldnt see another soul? 

Lockdown in Europe means no leisure walking, they've even stopped exercising on their own roof tops now, basically house arrest with trips for nose bag or medicines allowed, implemented in different ways abroad, papers needed etc, or they could ask for shop receipt as proof you went shopping if plod are on the street checking.

We don't have the military style policing like Italy and Spain have (very recent communist countries) so it might just be they expect us to do the right thing and stay in out homes.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Hopefully you have a decent sized garden to walk around 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, promised land said:

Lockdown in Europe means no leisure walking, they've even stopped exercising on their own roof tops now, basically house arrest with trips for nose bag or medicines allowed, implemented in different ways abroad, papers needed etc, or they could ask for shop receipt as proof you went shopping if plod are on the street checking.

We don't have the military style policing like Italy and Spain have (very recent communist countries) so it might just be they expect us to do the right thing and stay in out homes.

I think it's gone past just expecting people to do the right thing now, that's just not going to cut it after all the mass gatherings happened at the weekend

They also need to shut the London tube tonight, no if's and but's, the tube needs to close

Just now, promised land said:

I am actually quite worried now (not that i wasn't before, but its definatley gone up a level)

My son who works as an electrical engineer in Derby was told yesterday that work would continue as normal in their warehouse as the day shift consists of only 6 people with little interaction and no interaction from other staff. Will that mean his place will close down too if we go into full lockdown, as its non-essential ? 

1 minute ago, MrSpaM said:

I think it's gone past just expecting people to do the right thing now, that's just not going to cut it after all the mass gatherings happened at the weekend

They also need to shut the London tube tonight, no if's and but's, the tube needs to close

Won’t do that as key workers still need to get to work 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

Won’t do that as key workers still need to get to work 

Quite easy. Man the entry points to allow NHS / supermarket /key worker ID to enter only. 

Edited by hejammy

I was working at home today and had the tv on whilst firing off pointless emails and felt a real pang of loss about "normal" stuff. Football, cricket, going out for dinner. 

I really long for the days when we can moan about Brexit and VAR

Stay safe people x

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, promised land said:

Not all European countries are in ' Total'  lockdown.

Leisure walking/Cycling ,but Not crowding is still the norm.  Its obviously  easier in villages than cities,though many European countries have cut dead, Leisure

travelling or Meetings with Relations in other locations.

Going back to early today and some discussion about the govt loan scheme, a few emails with our bank this afternoon has revealed quite a lot of hoops to be jumped through. 

the main issue for me is that of ‘personal guarantee’.  Evidently, the govt loan requires them.  Why would I put my house on the line in a situation where the outcome of the next six months is likely to be out of my control ?  I could be sitting on the same mountain of stock at the end of the year as i am now and my loan cash may have run out. 

a little concerned that given this information, the wage protection scheme could also have some trickery built in to make it tough to draw against ...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, reynard said:

Genuine question. Are you supposed to completely self isolate for that period of time. ie away from other family members in the same house? I wasn't 100% clear on this yesterday.

Yes as much as is possible. It's easier for an elderly person living alone with carers coming in, much harder for a person living within a family group, but yes isolation within the household is the ideal