Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

28 minutes ago, brucey said:

Maybe the UK definition of underlying health issues differs from the US definition? :dunno:

It’s because obesity and high blood pressure aren’t underlying, they’re a given in America (sorry). 

37 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Queues outside McDonald's today are crazy. I can't believe people will be willing to queue for hours just to get their last big mac for a couple of months - 1st World problems lol

I've heard it's been most of the day but I e just driven past the Meridian Macdonald's roundabout and it's jammed because of people queuing to get in. These people seriously need to re-evaluate their life choices.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Benguin said:

What are peoples thoughts on the growing infringement of people's liberties to mitigate the virus? Or as Boris puts it "taking draconian measures*

I don't particularly have a strong view yet but definitley something I care about outside of a pandemic. 

Obviously it's not practical for our health care system to let this spread but is it practical to be housebound for several months? Which one outweighs which? 

As a short term measure to get us through the ‘peak’ then it’s fine and necessary, it’s going to save lives. If it goes on for more than 4-6 weeks however then I think that people will start to flout the rules and the effect will wear off. 

It is completely unsustainable long term. 

Just now, Footballwipe said:

I've heard it's been most of the day but I e just driven past the Meridian Macdonald's roundabout and it's jammed because of people queuing to get in. These people seriously need to re-evaluate their life choices.

MacDonald’s should have announced at the end of the day that they had now closed. Doing this looks responsible but generates one last big payday for them .........

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

MacDonald’s should have announced at the end of the day that they had now closed. Doing this looks responsible but generates one last big payday for them .........

Probably clears out a lot of stock though that would have potentially ended up being binned when they stop trading? 

26 minutes ago, Benguin said:

What are peoples thoughts on the growing infringement of people's liberties to mitigate the virus? Or as Boris puts it "taking draconian measures*

I don't particularly have a strong view yet but definitley something I care about outside of a pandemic. 

Obviously it's not practical for our health care system to let this spread but is it practical to be housebound for several months? Which one outweighs which? 

Lock the fvckers down if they can't do as they are asked. We've had enough warning, we've seen Italy, and I don't want to see it here. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson will address the nation at 20:30 GMT tonight.

This sounds like it will be different from the normal daily government briefing

I'll be having my dinner then. Christ on a bike, does he not consider these things!

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

The school said the rules had changed overnight and that BOTH parents had to be keywokers and not just one as announced. 

So we were told to go do one upon arrival. 

I just asked to see someone in charge and got them in basically as I don't think the poor deputy trust leader could face the opposition

Both parents don't need to be key worker, it's dodgy if your school are saying that. (to my knowedge at least, and we weren't told anything different at school, nor can I find anything else to say otherwise).

As part of the unofficial FoxesTalk Key-Worker Gestapo, I can tell you if your child should be in school.

1) Is one or both of you a keyworker? (Or is your child a 'vulnerable child' that you can't provide care for at school).

2) Are you both out at that time, so unable to care for your child? (and, no, that doesn't mean "I work from home and don't want to be distracted").

3) Have you exhausted every other possible avenue of getting care for your child? (eg. trying to rearrange work times with your boss)

4) Are they unable to look after themselves? (providing they are old enough?) 

If the answers to all questions are "yes", then they should be in school during the times you are not at work (so if you work mornings, then pick them up in the afternoon). But it should still only be on parent that needs to be a 'key worker', not both.

3 hours ago, Royston. said:

Id wager most children are alot better behaved at school.

My daughter for example is good as gold in school but a nightmare at home.

Probably true for most children, but we also have a class full of the buggers!

Edited by Charl91

1 minute ago, Innovindil said:

The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson will address the nation at 20:30 GMT tonight.

This sounds like it will be different from the normal daily government briefing

Hold on to your pants folks, it's lock-down time

35 minutes ago, Benguin said:

I doubt it would be for several months.

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Hold on to your pants folks, it's lock-down time

But you’re able to go to supermarkets and food shops - so people will coz they can’t help themselves ...... will he really tell us we can’t go for a walk ? what about the dogs ???

i think it won’t be a very draconian lock down if that what it is ........

If we did go full lockdown, would we still be able to go out for a run (the royal we, not talking about a group)? In one of the few positives to come out of this, I’ve really discovered a love of running in the morning. 

11 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Probably clears out a lot of stock though that would have potentially ended up being binned when they stop trading? 

At least one McD’s donated £200 worth of breakfast stock to NHS staff at a local hospital. Could have easily done the same elsewhere if they wanted to.

The homeless would probably have really appreciated it as well.

Edited by brucey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Manini said:

If we did go full lockdown, would we still be able to go out for a run (the royal we, not talking about a group)? In one of the few positives to come out of this, I’ve really discovered a love of running in the morning. 

I am sure you would, yeah, because they have been emphasising how important it is to get fresh air and to exercise. I bloody well hope so anyway as my husband will literally lose his mind, and I will quickly follow as a consequence!

• Thanks 1

Just now, brucey said:

At least one McD’s donated £200 worth of breakfast stock to NHS staff at a local hospital. Could have done the same elsewhere if they wanted to.

Thats great news. Yes i agree they all should have followed suit and done the same. The traffic on the main road into Melton was apparently causing lots of jams today, just so people could get their last burger... ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Those of us who have been included in the shielding have to remain indoors for a minimum of 3 months 

I thought he meant lockdown for 'several months'.

Also, self-isolate for 3 months means you can go out (in gardens?) or get some fresh air. Just the highest form of social-distancing other than quarantine, no?

4 minutes ago, Manini said:

Same for dog walking which I still intend to do, even if it means getting up early when no one is around. Of cause I’ll be responsible avoiding people like I have been anyway. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

If you run closer than six foot past me I'll set the dog on you, it's a cross between a pitbull and a retriever, yes it will rip your leg off but it will always bring it back.

• Haha 2