Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

7 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I am actually quite worried now (not that i wasn't before, but its definatley gone up a level)

My son who works as an electrical engineer in Derby was told yesterday that work would continue as normal in their warehouse as the day shift consists of only 6 people with little interaction and no interaction from other staff. Will that mean his place will close down too if we go into full lockdown, as its non-essential ? 

We have no idea yet what will happen regarding who works, key jobs still need doing not just on the front line, but councils need to take bins, utility companies need to be on hand, all sorts, shop workers in food shops and chemists, surgeries etc, these teachers looking after key workers children.

• Like 1

A complete and utter lockdown won’t work, in fact I think it will be extremely harmful to society. The prevention of the spread is important, but they won’t see an instant decrease in statistics at this point, he only announced the closure of pubs etc on Friday. Where some have taken the piss the majority are following the guidelines as I see literally no one knocking about. 

Plus a complete lockdown won’t work for many self employed, someone I know has made enquiries and he is entitled to £73 a week, that’s a ****ing joke and with a new born is completely in acceptable. 

The next move is a huge one, and I genuinely fear for the country if a full scale lockdown is implemented, for me it’s like going after a wasp with a rocket launcher, the next move has to be considered and calculated, not rash, and it can’t be because other countries have locked down, we simply do not have the infrastructure In place to facilitate such a request. 

So I am hoping that this is more of a “unnecessary business lockdown” for example McDonald’s and KFC. 

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes as much as is possible. It's easier for an elderly person living alone with carers coming in, much harder for a person living within a family group, but yes isolation within the household is the ideal 

My old man is 83 and has pretty much every underlying condition you can have. 

I visit him every morning but have had to banish my kids from going in now. He is a cantankerous old git at the best of times but 12 weeks of not going out the house or seeing anyone is going to drive him round the bend!

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Yes as much as is possible. It's easier for an elderly person living alone with carers coming in, much harder for a person living within a family group, but yes isolation within the household is the ideal 

Well my thoughts are with you,not much help I know, I don't mean this flippantly but I hope you are a mentally tough person for the next few months are going to be difficult for you by the sound of things.

My wife is a carer and they have so far no proper PPE. She's also worried about a lot of her clients who suffer from dementia who simply don't understand what they are supposed to do.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

A complete and utter lockdown won’t work, in fact I think it will be extremely harmful to society. The prevention of the spread is important, but they won’t see an instant decrease in statistics at this point, he only announced the closure of pubs etc on Friday. Where some have taken the piss the majority are following the guidelines as I see literally no one knocking about. 

Plus a complete lockdown won’t work for many self employed, someone I know has made enquiries and he is entitled to £73 a week, that’s a ****ing joke and with a new born is completely in acceptable. 

The next move is a huge one, and I genuinely fear for the country if a full scale lockdown is implemented, for me it’s like going after a wasp with a rocket launcher, the next move has to be considered and calculated, not rash, and it can’t be because other countries have locked down, we simply do not have the infrastructure In place to facilitate such a request. 

So I am hoping that this is more of a “unnecessary business lockdown” for example McDonald’s and KFC. 

I understand your point of view but we're at the point of no return with this. I'm afraid a lockdown is necessary now because if we don't we shall have the Easter holidays with thousadns travelling round the country helping to spread the infection even more. What will be harmful to society is a complete breakdown of the NHS and the possibility that, if we don't try to control the outbreak now, there will need to be a much longer than absolutely necessary lockdown across the whole country of Italian proportions.

The issue of the self-emloyed does need sorting out though.

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think a timed curfew is best to go. Still strict lockdown but only go to the supermarket (which need some security/policing these days!) or pharmacy/hospital/GP etc.

As for the bolded part, it can't be stressed enough to everyone that as soon as lockdown comes in, cases won't automatically reduce within 1-2 days. It'll probably be 2-3 weeks before anything significant is seen as people adjust and adapt to the lockdown and enforced social distancing. 

The next biggest point is restricting the second wave after the lockdown. There's no doubt there'll be a second wave and this is why, as you say, things need to be calculated wisely. A lockdown hopefully relieves the pressure on the NHS in the period it's enforced for. Stop people going out, stops the spread of cases, therefore stops the demand for NHS nurses/doctors to tend to such cases and give out treatment. It's simple in basic terms lol

31 minutes ago, promised land said:

Chap on sky news tonight said both Italy and Spain went into lockdown before they had as many die from covid 19 as we have now, so it won't be long away if we are trying not to follow these two countries into it.

But why wait a day or two, lock down from midnight or midday tomorrow and that is it, U.K. Nationals could still return if they have a flight and go straight home.

I don't get too political but I feel Boris is divver  and delaying all of this now, bringing these measures in slowly is probably their way not to panic a nation but it could all go wrong very quickly for them.

Is the guy on sky right because I'm reading that Italy have only just shut non essential shops today which for all the bashing our government gets in the handling (generic not aimed at yourself) we seem to be ahead of most countries in when we are doing things verses the curve non?

11 minutes ago, kristianity77 said:

I've been put on sick leave at work despite having no symptoms of coronavirus.  Is this legal? 

It could just be that they don’t like you? 🤣. Like people who’ve bought face-masks for their relatives - not out of concern, but just because they are  fed up staring at them! 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Won’t do that as key workers still need to get to work 

They'll have to prove they're key workers before they get on the tube then

The scenes from today of hundreds of people forcing themselves on to crowded trains needs to stop

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Is the guy on sky right because I'm reading that Italy have only just shut non essential shops today which for all the bashing our government gets in the handling (generic not aimed at yourself) we seem to be ahead of most countries in when we are doing things verses the curve non?

Not sure about shops but I regularly speak to my colleagues in Italy and they are still working. I think people are really misunderstanding are alot and one of those is what lock down actually means. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Not sure about shops but I regularly speak to my colleagues in Italy and they are still working. I think people are really misunderstanding are alot and one of those is what lock down actually means. 

This x 100

they are also working in France and Spain.  I believe it’s only Italy where essential business only can now operate ......

Hope when he makes this announcement he doesn't ad lib. Just want him to read out a pre-prepared statement and leave - give people the night to think about things. Tell us what the government wants us to do; what the rules are and lay it out simply.

Also hope that just for this announcement journalists can't ask questions. Some of them s**t-stir and diluite the message; but it is very important for them to hold the government to account. Let them ask the questions they want tomorrow. Plus, when he answers questions he has to ad lib; his demenour becomes less serious and at times his message isn't clear.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

My company's made the decision to close all shops and furlough all the staff so after Wednesday I'll be staying inside and avoiding the outside world as much as possible. I've been preparing for this moment my whole life.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This x 100

they are also working in France and Spain.  I believe it’s only Italy where essential business only can now operate ......

All it will be is what’s in place now but enshrined in law as well as the closing of non essential shops. It won’t be enforced as well simply don’t have the police numbers to do that. 

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

My company's made the decision to close all shops and furlough all the staff so after Wednesday I'll be staying inside and avoiding the outside world as much as possible. I've been preparing for this moment my whole life.

Aslong as the internet is still alive, we will survive

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

This x 100

See this is my understanding also which does get my back when I read comments about how Boris is this and our governments going kill thousands with the attitude they are taking and yet we are ahead of most countries in the fight.

i think people don't understand how much the UK is respected and how many countries follow our lead because of the experts and leading facilities in certain fields we have in this country.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well my thoughts are with you,not much help I know, I don't mean this flippantly but I hope you are a mentally tough person for the next few months are going to be difficult for you by the sound of things.

My wife is a carer and they have so far no proper PPE. She's also worried about a lot of her clients who suffer from dementia who simply don't understand what they are supposed to do.

Thanks. I'm trying to count my blessings really, I'm very fortunate to have a partner who already worked from home, an employer who's been fab letting me work from home since last week, and a couple of older children who are happy to social distance from me 😊 

I'm far from a social butterfly and so I think I'll be fine. I really feel for those who have no choice but to be out, and those who will miss it. 

Is there any sign of PPE for your partner? My other half has ordered some for his team who need it but so far it's unavailable.. 

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This x 100

Yeah Italy have basically halted everything bar food supply chain and medical I think. 

Our factory is key in the supply chain so they will stay open. They are working 24 /7 currently. 

33 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

As a country we couldn't behave ourselves at weekend, so if people are asked to stop working, do they honestly think people will just sit at home, they'll all go out and meet up, even if theres nowhere to go. So I agree, a complete lockdown won't work. People are ignoring it in Italy. Stop all temptation to go into towns, like you've said, by closing all the non essential retail businesses and keep the rest of the country working.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

As a country we couldn't behave ourselves at weekend, so if people are asked to stop working, do they honestly think people will just sit at home, they'll all go out and meet up, even if theres nowhere to go. So I agree, a complete lockdown won't work. People are ignoring it in Italy. Stop all temptation to go into towns, like you've said, by closing all the non essential retail businesses and keep the rest of the country working.

Keeping the country working will spread it just as fast, Saturday service on the bus this morning meant peeps were packed in like sardines before they got to work.