Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

16 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Well that's ok then.

Where have I said that? It's common knowledge that young people with underlying health issues will unfortunately succumb to this awful thing. If you have a known underlying health issue, stay indoors as much as possible.

PS. As you've already admitted you were telling us not to worry about this a few weeks ago, so there's no need for your sarcastic comments towards others.

46 dead today in England, I thought it was going to be higher than that if I'm honest. It's obviously not good news but hopefully the number doesn't spike up.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

2 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Queues outside McDonald's today are crazy. I can't believe people will be willing to queue for hours just to get their last big mac for a couple of months - 1st World problems lol

Last chance you’re likely to have a good meal out before virtually everything that’s not essential is shut and you queue extortionately for a fvcking McDonalds

57 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

99% of those will have underlying health issues though. An 18 year old died yesterday morning too.

Maybe the UK definition of underlying health issues differs from the US definition? :dunno:

5 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Queues outside McDonald's today are crazy. I can't believe people will be willing to queue for hours just to get their last big mac for a couple of months - 1st World problems lol

I worked 15 hours straight on Friday and then driving back from the office I decided I really needed something to eat so made up my mind to risk a first dirty Big Mac of the year. I passed two on the A5 on the way home and noted that Depite the hour plus drive left to home it’s be quicker and lower risk just to eat something healthier at home. Crazy stuff. The drive through were circling the car park. What will burger and drug addicts do during this crisis from here on in!!! 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Maybe the UK definition of underlying health issues differs from the US definition? :dunno:

Scary if true! Everything I've read points to high numbers percentage wise having pre-existing conditions, that was mostly in Italy & China though. It was 0.8% of people I think who had 0 underlying conditions. That tweet you just posted paints a much different picture though.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

7PM for Boris briefing I believe. Telegraph saying all shops to close other than food stores, supermarkets and pharmacies.

Makes sense. I was hoping that garden centres and DIY stores might come under the 'essential' criteria as well..! 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, brucey said:

I’ve not seen a great deal in terms of smoker / non-smoker. That’s got to be a factor - not necessarily in these cases, but in general.

Also, probably not the case here but the 5 without underlying health conditions could all have been 91 years old, take your pick with the other 2. Clutching at straws, obviously, but could be worded in such a way to instil fear / flog a headline.

Edited by Wet Trump

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Italy went 233-366-463 

we have gone 233-281-335 which is a glimmer of hope for us in respect of becoming as awful as Italy 

Yes, for a few days now we have been having less of a gradient than the Italians at the same stage but it's still a small sample size and we are still in our early stages compared to them so who knows where we'll end up?

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Scary if true! Everything I've read points to high numbers percentage wise having pre-existing conditions, that was mostly in Italy & China though. It was 0.8% of people I think who had 0 underlying conditions. That tweet you just posted paints a much different picture though.

Tbf I think it's highly unlikely that only 2 out of 7 people in that age range had any medical issues. On the other hand I also think it highly unlikely that >99% have significant medical issues given the number of youngish doctors in critical condition.

I imagine the truth is somewhere in between. Most countries including us must be including mild asthma, controlled hypertension and controlled diabetes etc. that doesn't usually cause any problems as a health issue, while the US only includes major medical problems.

Essentially the 'underlying medical problems' figure is useless without telling us what the definition of it is. 

Edited by brucey

What are peoples thoughts on the growing infringement of people's liberties to mitigate the virus? Or as Boris puts it "taking draconian measures*

I don't particularly have a strong view yet but definitley something I care about outside of a pandemic. 

Obviously it's not practical for our health care system to let this spread but is it practical to be housebound for several months? Which one outweighs which? 

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I've seen a few of these "this has been caused by our destruction of environment, it's nature kicking back" etc. statement ls coming out now the past couple of days with zero evidence.

It's just the other side of the coin to the equally ridiculous "its man made by the Chinese government conspiracy theories" to me.

Maybe it's too easy a conclusion to draw on my part, but I've always said I think human's like to believe there's some grand narrative they're a part of.

I guess its easier for us all to believe humans had some kind of responsibility to this. Even human's with nefarious, apathetic or evil intentions I guess is much much less scary than the reality that is just a random mutation of nature that could happen at any moment at any time and wipe us all out with absolutely no intention behind it, regardless of what any humans are doing on the planet at the moment and in fact not even knowing or acknowledging we exist - just like the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I've seen a few of these "this has been caused by our destruction of environment, it's nature kicking back" etc. statement ls coming out now the past couple of days with zero evidence.

It's just the other side of the coin to the equally ridiculous "its man made by the Chinese government conspiracy theories" to me.

Maybe it's too easy a conclusion to draw on my part, but I've always said I think human's like to believe there's some grand narrative they're a part of.

I guess its easier for us all to believe humans had some kind of responsibility to this. Even human's with nefarious, apathetic or evil intentions I guess is much much less scary than the reality that is just a random mutation of nature that could happen at any moment at any time and wipe us all out with absolutely no intention behind it, regardless of what any humans are doing on the planet at the moment and in fact not even knowing or acknowledging we exist - just like the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

I'm waiting for 'god is punishing us'

5 minutes ago, brucey said:

Tbf I think it's highly unlikely that only 2 out of 7 people in that age range had any medical issues. On the other hand I also think it highly unlikely that >99% have significant medical issues given the number of youngish doctors in critical condition.

I imagine the truth is somewhere in between. Most countries including us must be including mild asthma, controlled hypertension and controlled diabetes etc. that doesn't usually cause any problems as a health issue, while the US only includes major medical problems.

Essentially the 'underlying medical problems' figure is useless without telling us what the definition of it is. 

I have read that they think the amount of exposure determines how bad someone will catch it, i.e. a doctor who attends to 100 CV patients will have a worse case than someone who catches it from contact from a single person.

It's all theory at the moment though isn't it, but it's interesting all the same.

5 minutes ago, Sampson said:

As a part time Christian and half arsed church goer, it has crossed my mind that God is sending us a message/teaching us a lesson through all this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1