Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

4 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Seems we don`t really publish recovery numbers, think that is what they said earlier on the BBC News :dunno:

Did they give a reason why they aren’t doing it? 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Do you actually work for a Chinese company/department Mac?

Obviously I dont mean the government, but you have a personal stake in the country continuing to be a global superpower?

The usual “play the man, not the ball” nonsense.

23 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I suspect we were dissuaded from wearing masks was so the supply could go to where it was needed most, ie the nhs. Proper masks last all day stopping chemicals, vapor and dust getting in, well they did whenever I’ve had to wear one.

They need to be moisture resistant and meet WHO/EU/NHS standards. I'm sure paint-spray, dust protector masks etc don't. They need to be surgical standard masks to meet the protective requirements. A virus is a tiny cell organism, maybe a hundredth of the size of a dust particle and will pass through scarves, balaclavas, dust masks, regular wooly/gardening/walking gloves. I know some countries are making it compulsory to wear masks and maybe that's right but, they need to be the correct masks, not just any old face covering. And they need to be changed after every close contact with another person because there could be infectious material on the outside of the mask. They should certainly not be worn going from outside to inside. The public world wide, are going to need a massive supply which almost certainly will not be met.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I’d take that predicted delivery with a pinch of salt, I ordered Call of Duty which also had a May delivery date, it came within days. Although the item you have ordered is probably more in demand

Why didn't you just download it from Activision? Delivery within a couple of hours, allowing for the updates it could be 6 hours :thumbup:

Edited by Parafox

5 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

To this end, Brexit actually potentially puts Britain in quite a strong position being isolated already - if we do the right things. Now is the time to bring back our manufacturing/supply chain and majority of food production. Now is the time to use local environmentally sustainable business, now if the time for British people to buy British even if it costs more and for thousands of British people to join the work force to pick/pack/deliver our fantastic fruit and veg grown locally in this country. 

So far mostly the government I feel have done the right things based on the facts they are seeing, the same I feel with the BOE. 

The EU is in complete disarray and I find it hard to believe that relationships wont be strained there. 

Far too early to say. All depends on what sort of EU remains if any. If it survives there will be three big economic players in the EU, China and the US. All in an economic mess and we will be an isolated country trying to negotiate trade deals around the world.

What you say about buying British is obviously possible but we are only capable of providing around 30% of our total food requirement at the best of times and we can produce all we want but if the world economy is completely wrecked we will have no markets to sell it in.

Global markets will be required for all of us to recover.

40 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I think it's a lot lower like 0 5% just loads of people wanking themselves into a frenzy if they see someone out . I work in food production and my wife works for the NHS and we both can't believe how quite the roads are and how few people you see about . 

Interesting survey on peoples adhereance to lockdown although a pretty small sample group

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52228169

Coronavirus: Significant minority find lockdown 'extremely difficult', poll suggests

A majority of people (60%) say they have "completely followed" the government guidelines on leaving the house as little as possible with another 27% saying they have complied nearly all the time. Only 1% admit to ignoring the advice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, swanlee said:

Fair point ..... but you could, in my understanding, still become infected for example by rubbing your eye. And if you touch the mask with your hand, then the virus could still be very much on the mask and then transmitted back to the hand, or another surface, upon removal?

@Parafox makes the point further back in this thread, and as this particular individual seems to work in the NHS :appl:, I'm happy to align with their viewpoint. Far more knowledgeable in these subjects than I. To quote....

'they are utterly useless after an hour or so and are no more protective than no mask unless you are infected and then they will help prevent the release of a virus if you cough, sneeze or breathe close to another person.'

My post was a continuation of this argument. And I was in general agreement with Parafox. While I understand why people wear them, the masks annoy me a little too. I guessing a vast percentage of people who are wearing them, believe them to be a form of protection?

In my experience people are being extremely respectful and the advice we are being given about self-distancing is generally being well observed. If you are that worried about catching this thing, then stay at home, wash your hands regularly, try not to touch your face and don't make unnecessary journeys. And obviously if you do begin to show symptoms, then self-isolate.

A small number of individuals out & about with scraggly bits of dirty cloth dangling over their noses & mouths is not the panacea to this thing.

This. The reason we wear them to every job is to protect the patient, not ourselves. We give the patient a mask to put on in order to protect ourselves. Hence my point that, unless you're infected, a mask won't make a huge difference in preventing the virus infecting you. You are correct in saying you can be infected by touching the mask and then taking it off in the house, placing it on a work surface and leaving the virus there. Please don't wear gloves whilst out and about. You don't need to. You are more at risk of transmitting this thing if you do. As @swanlee says, wash your hands regularly, as soon as you come home from any trip outside, use sanitiser if you have some if you can't wash soon after contact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Parafox said:

This. The reason we wear them to every job is to protect the patient, not ourselves. We give the patient a mask to put on in order to protect ourselves. Hence my point that, unless you're infected, a mask won't make a huge difference in preventing the virus infecting you. You are correct in saying you can be infected by touching the mask and then taking it off in the house, placing it on a work surface and leaving the virus there. Please don't wear gloves whilst out and about. You don't need to. You are more at risk of transmitting this thing if you do. As @swanlee says, wash your hands regularly, as soon as you come home from any trip outside, use sanitiser if you have some if you can't wash soon after contact.

What are you doing posting at 8.01pm?

You should be out there clapping yourself!!!

Edited by Izzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

This. The reason we wear them to every job is to protect the patient, not ourselves. We give the patient a mask to put on in order to protect ourselves. Hence my point that, unless you're infected, a mask won't make a huge difference in preventing the virus infecting you.

But you may be asymptomatic? So even if  wearing one only protects others from you, it’s a plus right?? 

So if everyone wore one, everyone would have an extra layer of protection? 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

Dogs are to be classed as pets and not livestock in china, lets hope it's the start of them sorting these wet markets out.

Just now, Unabomber said:

Surely they don’t still eat dogs? 

I’ve  seen an horrific video, well as much I could manage. Of a wet market in China, any animal you can think of, caged up ready to go, alive and dead. It was horrendous mate. 🤮

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, stix said:

I’ve  seen an horrific video, well as much I could manage. Of a wet market in China, any animal you can think of, caged up ready to go, alive and dead. It was horrendous mate. 🤮

6 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Did no want to hear that. China is going to be ****ed after this.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stix said:

But you may be asymptomatic? So even if  wearing one only protects others from you, it’s a plus right?? 

So if everyone wore one, everyone would have an extra layer of protection? 

Maybe so but that engenders a false sense of security. And people are wearing them inappropriately or incorrectly or repeated use after contact. There needs to be definitive guidance for the general public. I don't know what's right or wrong just now, TBH

Edited by Parafox