Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Is it bad to wish coronavirus on them (and only them?) 

if you're one of the people telling everyone that they have to clap boris then you'd have to clap these guys if they got corona virus, too. no matter what they've done in the past. but it seems like one rule for one and one rule for others in this thread. 

17 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

if you're one of the people telling everyone that they have to clap boris then you'd have to clap these guys if they got corona virus, too. no matter what they've done in the past. but it seems like one rule for one and one rule for others in this thread. 

Sure.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

Can someone tell me the rules, and how I win

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

They need to be moisture resistant and meet WHO/EU/NHS standards. I'm sure paint-spray, dust protector masks etc don't. They need to be surgical standard masks to meet the protective requirements. A virus is a tiny cell organism, maybe a hundredth of the size of a dust particle and will pass through scarves, balaclavas, dust masks, regular wooly/gardening/walking gloves. I know some countries are making it compulsory to wear masks and maybe that's right but, they need to be the correct masks, not just any old face covering. And they need to be changed after every close contact with another person because there could be infectious material on the outside of the mask. They should certainly not be worn going from outside to inside. The public world wide, are going to need a massive supply which almost certainly will not be met.

these are the type of masks i was on about and you can swap the filter out which cost about 10p.

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-Reusable-Half-Face-Mask-6500-Series/?N=5002385+3291100191&rt=rud

I have been reading  comments  in general saying whilst the lockdown is a good thing the Government need to be wary of the economical and social impact this will have on society ( "people losing jobs leading to mass unemployment /starving")

Are you worried about that or happy to let the Government take as long as is possible to ensure the vast majority are safe and well?

Presume we might see the lockdown gradually lessen over  time if adhered to now.

Edited by Super_horns

13 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I have been reading  comments  in general saying whilst the lockdown is a good thing the Government need to be wary of the economical and social impact this will have on society ( "people losing jobs leading to mass unemployment /starving")

Are you worried about that or happy to let the Government take as long as is possible to ensure the vast majority are safe and well?

Presume we might see the lockdown gradually lessen over  time if adhered to now.

We won't be like this for much longer, otherwise it'll take about a century to recover:mellow: Think we've got another 3 or 4 weeks or so like this, then we'll see some people going back to work but pubs and stuff still closed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We won't be like this for much longer, otherwise it'll take about a century to recover:mellow: Think we've got another 3 or 4 weeks or so like this, then we'll see some people going back to work but pubs and stuff still closed.

Yeah we'll probably start letting some people back to work in stages within a few weeks.

I.e People under 30 with no underlying health conditions will probably be allowed back to offices in a month's time or so. Though they'll still be social distancing and have to sit 2m apart from collegues.

Then we'll gradually start introducing other groups of people back into the workforce and start opening things up assuking the cases remain low. Allowing people to travel across the country again etc.

Even when offices, pubs, restaurants etc reopen. We're still going to have to social distance and sit 2m apart until the vaccine has been mass produced though in circa summer 2021.

No idea how international travel will work. I imagine it will come back pre-vaccine but they'll be loads of caveats around it and airlines will have to leave seats between passangers on planes and passport control queues will be social distant. Probably only travel available to very limited "economically Western" countries available too (EU + Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Singapore etc.) - think tourism and business and international travel are too big an industry for it not to come back internationally pre-vaccine.

Edited by Sampson

Guest Fktf
5 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

We are the best part of a month behind Italy.So Id imagine we start to come out about a month or so after they do ????Isn’t that slightly obvious?This is one advantage the UK has got.It can watch what the others in front do.We’ve only just started.

One advantage we should have had, but didn't capitalise on. Currently we're following the same path as most EU nations because we didn't do anything different at the onset of transmission. From this point we can look into the crystal ball and see the future, but not change it.. 

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Surely they don’t still eat dogs? 

Search for ‘Yulin Dog Meat Festival’. Warning: it’s ****ing grim. As is the following:

They torture the dogs (including boiling them alive) because they believe it makes the meat taste better.

First case in late January. ten days before the first confirmed UK case.

Dramatic rise in late February, contained by mid-March. Last few days case count: 53, 39, and yesterday...27. And all while doing their utmost to keep society running safely and balance it with economic need.

I know I rhapsodise about them a lot here on this matter, but frankly Korea deserve all the plaudits they get for their handling of this.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Izzy said:

Yes, but if they are 'non essential' businesses, shouldn't their staff be furloughed?

I'm probably wrong and I'm disappearing up my own arse trying to understand the rules tbh

No you're probably right, I'm not sure either. My eldest son has been allowed to stay at home while I've been working from home, he works for his Dad's company and they're fairly quiet so not much point making him go in. But the other 3 employees are still working, albeit slightly shorter hours. 

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Search for ‘Yulin Dog Meat Festival’. Warning: it’s ****ing grim. As is the following:

They torture the dogs (including boiling them alive) because they believe it makes the meat taste better.

Just for the record dogs are also eaten in Vietnam. Black ones taste better, apparently. There was a couple of restaurants at the end of my street when I lived in HCMC. 

3 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Dramatic rise in late February, contained by mid-March. Last few days case count: 53, 39, and yesterday...27. And all while doing their utmost to keep society running safely and balance it with economic need.

I know I rhapsodise about them a lot here on this matter, but frankly Korea deserve all the plaudits they get for their handling of this.

Quick question, How is the infection rate going to stay low ? At some point lockdown will have to be relaxed and then the rate of infection and death rate will be the same as the rest of the world.

9 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Quick question, How is the infection rate going to stay low ? At some point lockdown will have to be relaxed and then the rate of infection and death rate will be the same as the rest of the world.

They haven’t been in lockdown at any point aside from a couple of weeks in Daegu when there was an explosion of cases.

They have great hygiene (mask wearing is the norm before this), good use of technology (a case tracking app) and most importantly were prepared for this, no complacency, just professional. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

They haven’t been in lockdown at any point aside from a couple of weeks in Daegu when there was an explosion of cases.

They have great hygiene (mask wearing is the norm before this), good use of technology (a case tracking app) and most importantly were prepared for this, no complacency, just professional. 

Still unsure how this will prevent infection and death rates in the long run knowing how virulent Covid 19 is .

17 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Still unsure how this will prevent infection and death rates in the long run knowing how virulent Covid 19 is .

Well at the moment, all visitors have to quarantine for two weeks. Clearly unsustainable in the longer term but tourism isn’t a big part of their economy. Maybe they just keep the country isolated ...... there will be some cases crop up but their huge daily testing capacity and apps able to trace any positive cases and who they came into close contact with should enable them to keep a lid on it as is the situation thus far.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well at the moment, all visitors have to quarantine for two weeks. Clearly unsustainable in the longer term but tourism isn’t a big part of their economy. Maybe they just keep the country isolated ...... there will be some cases crop up but their huge daily testing capacity and apps able to trace any positive cases and who they came into close contact with should enable them to keep a lid on it as is the situation thus far.

I don't think non-essential global travel will be a thing for quite a while moving forward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I don't think non-essential global travel will be a thing for quite a while moving forward.

don’t forget that many millions of people around the world will have become aware that they have already had the disease and want to carry on with a ‘normal’ life. There will be demand and tourism countries/the system will find a way to get these people to their shores. 

1 hour ago, Saigon Fox said:

Just for the record dogs are also eaten in Vietnam. Black ones taste better, apparently. There was a couple of restaurants at the end of my street when I lived in HCMC. 

You are 100% correct.

Have seen several open truck loaded several high, you actually hear the yelping and barking long before the trucks arrive.

Dogs are snatched by motorcyclist/ scooter riders. 

dogs.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Sampson said:

Yeah we'll probably start letting some people back to work in stages within a few weeks.

I.e People under 30 with no underlying health conditions will probably be allowed back to offices in a month's time or so. Though they'll still be social distancing and have to sit 2m apart from collegues.

Then we'll gradually start introducing other groups of people back into the workforce and start opening things up assuking the cases remain low. Allowing people to travel across the country again etc.

Even when offices, pubs, restaurants etc reopen. We're still going to have to social distance and sit 2m apart until the vaccine has been mass produced though in circa summer 2021.

No idea how international travel will work. I imagine it will come back pre-vaccine but they'll be loads of caveats around it and airlines will have to leave seats between passangers on planes and passport control queues will be social distant. Probably only travel available to very limited "economically Western" countries available too (EU + Switzerland, Norway and Iceland, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Japan, Singapore etc.) - think tourism and business and international travel are too big an industry for it not to come back internationally pre-vaccine.

Prof. Ferguson has hinted about an age release idea but has also hinted at geographical potential too. However, he was also pretty clear that any form of release of the lockdown was unlikely for "several weeks" and that would only happen when we were able to test much more widely within the community. The government really needs to get hold of the testing situation and ramp it up more quickly and widely. If that was done then it is possible to see how certain areas could lift restrictions  locally at first. If you live in the Scottish Highlands for example it ought to be possible to test enough of the local commuinty to allow it to reopen though cross country travel would probably still need to be banned.

I think we all need to be patient re vaccine and face the fact that there may never be one that is effective. We have been searching for a vaccine against the common cold for years without success. Work looks encouraging so far but no more than that. The development of some form of anti-viral treatment or plasma using blood from recovered patients may also help.

I don't see international travel returning on any scale this year. Would anyone really fancy a beach holiday in Spain in the course of this summer for eg?

Edited by reynard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

November 17th in China if reliable reports are to be believed.

The unbelievable way they jumped into action even by Chinese standards suggests even earlier

10 minutes ago, Bob Hazels shorts said:

November 17th in China if reliable reports are to be believed.

The unbelievable way they jumped into action even by Chinese standards suggests even earlier

I'm pretty sure @leicsmac was talking about South Korea, where he lives, when he referred to the first case being in late Jan.

The first officially confirmed case in China was 1st December, it seems, though there are strong rumours that there were cases earlier than that - so your supposition about China seems reasonable.

• Like 1