Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 minute ago, z-layrex said:

One of my colleagues is off sick with what is probably the virus when she definitely seemed to have it over a month ago.

Which begs the question if you can get it a second time, whilst you may not become particularly ill as you have some immunity, you are presumably able to pass it onto others when the expectation would be that you couldn’t  ....

Going back to the daily death toll, Scotland's population is approximately 10% of England's. So a simple rule of thumb might be to add a 0 onto Scotland's daily total to arrive at an estimate for England's. That would equate to about 480 today in England. However, this may be too simplistic, because of the two countries' differing population densities. 

55 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Which begs the question if you can get it a second time, whilst you may not become particularly ill as you have some immunity, you are presumably able to pass it onto others when the expectation would be that you couldn’t  ....

Without testing we haven’t got a clue. Could have been a bad cold and we would never know. We simply can’t make any assumptions

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

a8da840b-9fd3-4e67-a979-e091fd010f36.png

So US cumulative deaths are tailing off without a lockdown? Early days but it's tailing off.

I wonder whether there's a possibility that this virus plucks off the most vulnerable in society early doors, and moving forwards whether we're in lockdown or not the numbers will plateau.

It'll be interesting to see if US numbers continue to drop off if they remain out of lockdown.

Makes you wonder whether the lockdowns coinciding with drop offs in deaths is in some part due to correlation rather than causation.

Appreciate this is very simplistic and I'm sure lockdown does have a positive impact. But I just wonder whether there's anything in the idea that a massive number of people have had this thing and the majority of the most vulnerable people have already fallen to this thing. Of course people can grow more vulnerable over time so I'm not saying this will just fizzle out if my theory is correct.

I do get the feeling though that while this will grumble along and be a thorn in our sides for a couple of years, what we're experiencing right now and in the coming couple of weeks is by far and away the hardest yards, save for the economic disaster that comes out the back of it.

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

It’s highly probable that you can’t. Those who test positive twice either got a false positive on one occasion or the infection never left them. Of course there’ll always be the odd outlier. 

Coronavirus: Apple and Google team up to contact trace Covid-19

By Leo KelionTechnology desk editor

1 hour ago

Coronavirus pandemic

Apple and Google are jointly developing technology to alert people if they have recently come into contact with others found to be infected with coronavirus.

They hope to initially help third-party contact-tracing apps run efficiently.

But ultimately, they aim to do away with the need to download dedicated apps, to encourage the practice.

The two companies believe their approach - designed to keep users, whose participation would be voluntary, anonymous - addresses privacy concerns.

Their contact-tracing method would work by using a smartphone's Bluetooth signals to determine to whom the owner had recently been in proximity for long enough to have established contagion a risk.

If one of those people later tested positive for the Covid-19 virus, a warning would be sent to the original handset owner.

No GPS location data or personal information would be recorded.

"Privacy, transparency and consent are of utmost importance in this effort and we look forward to building this functionality in consultation with interested stakeholders," Apple and Google said in a joint statement.

"We will openly publish information about our work for others to analyse."

Apple is the developer of iOS. Google is the company behind Android. The two operating systems power the vast majority of smartphones in use.

Some countries - including Singapore, Israel, South Korea and Poland - are already using people's handsets to issue coronavirus contagion alerts.

Other health authorities - including the UK, France and Germany - are working on initiatives of their own. And some municipal governments in the US are reportedly about to adopt a third-party app.

The two technology giants aim to bring coherence to all this by allowing existing third-party apps to be retrofitted to include their solution.

This would make the apps interoperable, so contact tracing would continue to work as people travelled overseas and came into contact with people using a different tool.

Apple and Google have been working on the effort for about two weeks but have not externally revealed their plans until Friday.

If successful, the scheme could help countries relax lockdowns and border restrictions.

Phone-based matches
The companies aim to release a software building-block - known as an API (application programming interface) - by mid-May.

This would allow others' apps to run on the same basis.

_111752146_bbc-apple2-nc.png

Records of the digital IDs involved would be stored on remote computer servers but the companies say these could not be used to unmask a specific individual's true identity.

Furthermore, the contact-matching process would take place on the phones rather than centrally.

This would make it possible for someone to be told they should go into quarantine, without anyone else being notified.

• Like 1

Watched a crazy doc on this on YouTube yesterday. Basically just highlighting how it didn’t start from that wet market and was made in a lab. Patient zero had not contact in their life with the market for example. China are going to have hell to pay when this blows over (as much as it ever will).

34 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

£59.99 on the PS store, how much on activision? I paid £39.99 from Amazon 

Last week the PS store had it on offer from Activision for just what you paid from Amazon. So you've lost nothing. Enjoy. It takes up at least 3 hours of each of my days off work. :thumbup:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Matt Hancock just said the same PPE can be used for multiple patients. 

:blink:

WTF????

What was he referring to? What's the context?

Those staff in ICU maybe, because the staff and patients are isolated and highly unlikely to be further contaminated. 

In the community and at the first point of contact, there can be no logical reason for advising that PPE is multiple use. If he's suggested that, the man's a complete imbecile.

There's reports of general nursing staff in various community hospitals having to use bin bags as protection. If that get's proven, it should be a national disgrace.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Only 13 minutes left in the B&Q website queue. This is the most exciting thing to happen to me in weeks

What are you buying? I was going to paint the downstairs toilet but it was going to take so long to get the paint, I gave up.

55 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

So US cumulative deaths are tailing off without a lockdown? Early days but it's tailing off.

I wonder whether there's a possibility that this virus plucks off the most vulnerable in society early doors, and moving forwards whether we're in lockdown or not the numbers will plateau.

It'll be interesting to see if US numbers continue to drop off if they remain out of lockdown.

Makes you wonder whether the lockdowns coinciding with drop offs in deaths is in some part due to correlation rather than causation.

Appreciate this is very simplistic and I'm sure lockdown does have a positive impact. But I just wonder whether there's anything in the idea that a massive number of people have had this thing and the majority of the most vulnerable people have already fallen to this thing. Of course people can grow more vulnerable over time so I'm not saying this will just fizzle out if my theory is correct.

I do get the feeling though that while this will grumble along and be a thorn in our sides for a couple of years, what we're experiencing right now and in the coming couple of weeks is by far and away the hardest yards, save for the economic disaster that comes out the back of it.

That graph's a bit misleading because most US states have gone into lockdown but since it's a decision being made at a state level it doesn't count as a nationwide lock down.

21 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Watched a crazy doc on this on YouTube yesterday. Basically just highlighting how it didn’t start from that wet market and was made in a lab. Patient zero had not contact in their life with the market for example. China are going to have hell to pay when this blows over (as much as it ever will).

With so many people being asymptomatic carriers it's highly possible that any identified 'patient zero' isn't actually patient zero. Then just because that one individual wasn't directly linked to the market doesn't necessarily mean it didn't come from there. Its an even bigger leap again to claim that because of those two things that it must be manmade.

It may well be and China has a lot to answer for either way, but I'm not sure a random doc on YouTube is the best source of info to be basing that off of...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

What are you buying? I was going to paint the downstairs toilet but it was going to take so long to get the paint, I gave up.

Some sort of decking treatment. But having now got on the website the reviews say that they're all crap, and they're not cheap either.

They're doing click and collect rather than letting you in the shop, but I'd still feel a bit self conscious because it's hardly essential, is it?

Wilkos, as I understand it, is open pretty much as normal which seems a bit mad

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

With so many people being asymptomatic carriers it's highly possible that any identified 'patient zero' isn't actually patient zero. Then just because that one individual wasn't directly linked to the market doesn't necessarily mean it didn't come from there. Its an even bigger leap again to claim that because of those two things that it must be manmade.

It may well be and China has a lot to answer for either way, but I'm not sure a random doc on YouTube is the best source of info to be basing that off of...

Seemed pretty convincing to me.

Edited by Unabomber

8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Some sort of decking treatment. But having now got on the website the reviews say that they're all crap, and they're not cheap either.

They're doing click and collect rather than letting you in the shop, but I'd still feel a bit self conscious because it's hardly essential, is it?

Wilkos, as I understand it, is open pretty much as normal which seems a bit mad

All B&Q stores are doing click and collect. I'd say it was essential as it's giving you something productive that occupies your time if you can't go jogging/walking/cycling, you get to be in the fresh air in your own garden so you're not putting yourself or others at risk and you're obeying the rules. 

Wilko must be selling something classed as essential in order for them to stay open, maybe?

6 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I understand the rationale of eating meat. Even what we might think if as odd animals. 

It's boiling them, or skinning them, alive and prepping the meat on blood soaked cutting boards I'm uncomfortable with. 

Agree...thats what I mentioned, its the how.

21 minutes ago, l444ry said:

A lot of good points in here. Just listened to some of the press conference and get a feeling of frustration as questions are ignored or evaded.

One question was to the Nursing spokesperson asking how many health workers had died and if there was any follow up to determine how they contracted the disease and whether anything could be learned to help prevent future deaths. The spokesperson just blabbered on about not being able to give out personal information. Total evasion as the question was not asking for any personal information, just stats. Either give the figures, or acknowledge that you don’t know. No attempt at all to address the second part of the question.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Parafox said:

WTF????

What was he referring to? What's the context?

Those staff in ICU maybe, because the staff and patients are isolated and highly unlikely to be further contaminated. 

In the community and at the first point of contact, there can be no logical reason for advising that PPE is multiple use. If he's suggested that, the man's a complete imbecile.

There's reports of general nursing staff in various community hospitals having to use bin bags as protection. If that get's proven, it should be a national disgrace.

My fiance's sister had to go in to hospital this week to work and see patients.

Goggles and mask for the face.

A flimsy apron for the whole day. Luckily the amount of patients she saw was very few but who knows, another person any other week may see loads. All it needs is for one of those patients to have the virus and that's gonna spread :(