Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

32 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It's not only in Italy, Listening to some of the young people that i know you'd think they're immune to it. Seems a bit of an I'm alright pull the ladder up attitude.

We've had two deaths in Switzerland due to coronavirus. Both were in their seventies, and both had previous medical history, were suffering from several already existing health issues.

So, that's a very small percentage of the population to start with.

Babies, younger children, the elderly and people with a weaker immune system in general (due to birth defects, even blood pressure issues, I suppose AIDS patients as well, aso) are the most affected, the vast majority of people, however, will be fine.

Young people with no other health issues are less likely to die, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will be 'fine'. Those who end up in ICU with ARDS and go on ventilators etc can get chronic lung damage / fibrosis as a result. There's already been a young chap in China who survived the virus but with terrible lung damage from it which required double lung transplants. 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Looks like all German matches are behind closed doors this weekend. Bit of a pisser as I'm meant to be going to three games there.

I'm sure the Euros will be affected. Flying all round Europe was arguably not the best idea anyway.

From BBC News

Prison authorities in Italy now say protests have broken out in 27 jails against restrictions imposed to tackle the coronavirus outbreak.

The trouble began in the northern city of Modena, after inmates were told that visits were being suspended.

Italian media reported six deaths there, some drugs-related.

About 20 prisoners broke out of prison in Foggia in the south, along with another 32 who were quickly recaptured.

At the San Vittore prison in Milan, inmates climbed onto the roof of the facility, setting ablaze one of the six wings.

•  
  •  
Edited by stripeyfox

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm sure the Euros will be affected. Flying all round Europe was arguably not the best idea anyway.

Well quite. It's a decision which has been made to look doubly stupid now.

The WHO's current guidelines on travel are worth keeping an eye on...

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak/

16 minutes ago, bovril said:

Maybe, but remember that at the time of bidding there were no really credible bids on the table.

Turkey looked most likely at one point, but withdrew. The was a half arsed Scotland/Rep Ireland/Wales joint bid and an Azerbaijan/Georgia joint bid.

So the decision to go pan European was bourne out of necessity rather then some desire by Platini to inconvenience everyone

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

So basically I’ll either be dead or not able to attend football matches. Sound lads, happy Monday.

Or possibly not dead, but needing a lung transplant. And not able to go to the football...

A bit of good news....

BBC reports a decline in the number of new infections in South Korea, as well as in China. The Korean figure has fallen for about 3 days in a row.

Suggests that effective control measures might be feasible within weeks, rather than months?

(Situation in Italy and Iran still sounds dire, though, and safe to assume a sharp increase in the UK for a while yet?)

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

A bit of good news....

BBC reports a decline in the number of new infections in South Korea, as well as in China. The Korean figure has fallen for about 3 days in a row.

Suggests that effective control measures might be feasible within weeks, rather than months?

(Situation in Italy and Iran still sounds dire, though, and safe to assume a sharp increase in the UK for a while yet?)

Encouraging given their society isn't at the levels of Chinese democracy. 

7 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

A bit of good news....

That's positive. I saw the China news this morning on BBC website. I can't find the South Korea story you mention anywhere, do you have a link?

13 hours ago, z-layrex said:

This is written by an Italian doctor in the heart of the outbreak in Italy. The next time some ****ing brain cell compares this to a flu or says the media are exaggerating the danger, show them this:

"In the end we only try to make ourselves useful for everyone. Now try to do it too, though: with our actions we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share and share the message. We need to spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy" ......   (And the rest of Europe as well presumably !)

Wow, the Italian authorities (and our own) seem to be taking it very seriously ...    :o

IMG_3651.jpg

10 minutes ago, Magictv said:

That's positive. I saw the China news this morning on BBC website. I can't find the South Korea story you mention anywhere, do you have a link?

It was mentioned on the BBC lunchtime news.

But I also found these:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-data/south-korea-reports-96-new-coronavirus-cases-total-7478-idUSKBN20W0W1

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Of course, the UK is at an earlier stage of the outbreak - and there may be factors specific to South Korea (highly concentrated outbreak, it seems - and what seems to have been a very effective response).

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

It was mentioned on the BBC lunchtime news.

But I also found these:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-data/south-korea-reports-96-new-coronavirus-cases-total-7478-idUSKBN20W0W1

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/09/asia/south-korea-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

Of course, the UK is at an earlier stage of the outbreak - and there may be factors specific to South Korea (highly concentrated outbreak, it seems - and what seems to have been a very effective response).

I certainly can't fault the response of the authorities - they've kept people well-informed and considering how easy it would be for things to spread here it's pretty amazing that it's been mostly limited to Daegu and the surroundings.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

We've had two deaths in Switzerland due to coronavirus. Both were in their seventies, and both had previous medical history, were suffering from several already existing health issues.

So, that's a very small percentage of the population to start with.

Babies, younger children, the elderly and people with a weaker immune system in general (due to birth defects, even blood pressure issues, I suppose AIDS patients as well, aso) are the most affected, the vast majority of people, however, will be fine.

That may well be true, but that's not my point. When you hear statements such as It's only the elderly with underlying health conditions, does that make it ok then?

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That may well be true, but that's not my point. When you hear statements such as It's only the elderly with underlying health conditions, does that make it ok then?

Well, it's simply a statement of fact that those people are more at risk. It doesn't mean younger people are going around pissing on door handles or coughing into packs of Werther's does it?

9 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

46 new cases today. Total 319

not seen that on BBC yet. But encouraging I guess if it's less then yesterday

EDIT: It is on the Public Health England website now

Edited by stripeyfox

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Fair enough, they're fibbing - wouldn't be the first time. The question is then...why, and why now?

They don't need such a lie to effect control over their own people, they're pretty brutally efficient at that anyway. They don't need such a lie to tell the international community right now - there's no matter of "saving face" and international reputation having to go on here when the problem is rapidly becoming international anyway.

Lies from such regimes usually come with some pragmatic reason for doing so - I don't see one here.

but it’s not just now is it? you even alluded to that yourself.

they fudged the numbers at the beginning of the coronavirus so why would they now start to be honest about it?

Just now, MPH said:

but it’s not just now is it? you even alluded to that yourself.

they fudged the numbers at the beginning of the coronavirus so why would they now start to be honest about it?

,,,is that a certainty?

I just don't get the point in lying about this matter in particular as there seems to be zero utility to it and regimes like that are nothing if not utilitarian - if someone would point out a utility to me then I'd be happy to consider it rather than just assuming they are liars for its own sake.

• Like 1