Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

17 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

46 new cases today. Total 319

6 of which are throughout the whole of the Midlands.

Not sure if any are Leicester based.

But yet again I wonder how many of these new cases are from hotspots, especially Italy :dunno:

8 minutes ago, kingfox said:

6 of which are throughout the whole of the Midlands.

Not sure if any are Leicester based.

But yet again I wonder how many of these new cases are from hotspots, especially Italy :dunno:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england/coronavirus-covid-19-number-of-cases-in-england

0 in Leicester 

1 in Leicestershire 

Clean lot we are! 

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Those were the numbers on Saturday.

In terms of clean have you seen the West End of Narborough Road lol 

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

The detailed breakdown hasn't been updated today yet, hopefully get it within the next few hours

Just now, kingfox said:

Those were the numbers on Saturday.

In terms of clean have you seen the West End of Narborough Road lol 

Ah I see. Didn't notice that. Just clicked through the link from the overall cases page

4 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Was listening to an italian doctor on 5L this morning and he was on about the biggest issue in Italy was the misinformation on how it only effects old people. He was saying ICU wards were containing patients in their 30s, 40s and 50s. 

I wish there were more stats on the amount of hospitalised younger people, because I think that will be the biggest problem once our health service is at capacity. Where do the fit and healthy people go when they get complications? 

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1 this research does not agree. Mild means mild. 

• Thanks 1

I know there's a lot of pressure building to introduce stricter measures but I think the reduce in numbers today is a sign that what we're doing is to an extent working and that this country may get lucky (or it may not). Making rash political decisions is not going to solve this. Referring to Public Health England and Chris Whitty to manage the situation both publicly and privately is the correct thing to do. I have zero faith in PM Johnson but 100% faith in PHE and our scientific researchers. There's a lack of NHS bedspace and yes that is going to be an issue a little further down the line but it's looking unlikely that we'll end up 'like Italy in two weeks' as some are suggesting. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1 this research does not agree. Mild means mild. 

Interesting, thank you. There's so many things out there it can be quite hard to navigate and as we're still in the early stages of understanding the virus it's quite hard to find verifiable information. 

Just now, TheUltimateWinner said:

Interesting, thank you. There's so many things out there it can be quite hard to navigate and as we're still in the early stages of understanding the virus it's quite hard to find verifiable information. 

Was just about the reply that the journalist who you quoted looks a bit sketchy to me. There's probably a reason why he's self described as 'An independent citizen journalist that aggregates and reports on news and political issues with a focus on government corruption and environmental activism'. Sounds like a conspiracy theorist to me and his tweet is not what was said in the article. Misinformation = scaremongering = increases anxiety. WHO and PHE official guidance as well as the research that @Bobby Hundreds posted will be more reliable. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, stripeyfox said:

I'll take your word for it. I daren't even click the Mercury link for fear of inducing a seizure from all the pop ups

It is a student who’s recently been to Italy he was last in Loughborough 3 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

,,,is that a certainty?

I just don't get the point in lying about this matter in particular as there seems to be zero utility to it and regimes like that are nothing if not utilitarian - if someone would point out a utility to me then I'd be happy to consider it rather than just assuming they are liars for its own sake.

yes.

They beat, torture their own people just for their faith- the Urghers ( sp!?) have often  talked about the torture and attempted brain washing by the chinese, who have denied this ( lied) and claim they are just  voluntarily attended education centers ( another lie)

the question from me is what have China ever done to earn your trust?

Edited by MPH

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

,,,is that a certainty?

I just don't get the point in lying about this matter in particular as there seems to be zero utility to it and regimes like that are nothing if not utilitarian - if someone would point out a utility to me then I'd be happy to consider it rather than just assuming they are liars for its own sake.

I imagine they must have staged this just to look good then lol

Albeit the data I've seen is a few years old but the UK has slightly more than half the number of critical care beds that Italy has which is even more discouraging. 

I wonder why Germany has 0 deaths out of 1100 cases. Are they not accurately reporting deaths or is something else happening there? They have by far the most critical care beds in Europe but that factor wouldn't be in play yet. 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It worries me it sounds like he's considering this theory as an approach to dealing with the outbreak... 

Stiff upper lip chaps, we're British, don't you know. Cup of tea?

Guest Fktf

As with most things, the public seem to have become largely polarised in their response to this. 

Those panic buying need to chill the hell out. Hoarding hand sanitiser isn't really any use if you're stopping other people being able to buy and use it. Cleanliness measures only really work if enough people follow them. 

Those that think it isn't a dangerous bug need to understand their role on helping society. If you catch it from not washing your hands before you eat, you could  spread it to someone who is going to die from it, or say to a pregnant woman where we have little idea of the outcome to her or the baby. Cleanliness measures only really work with enough people.. 

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Albeit the data I've seen is a few years old but the UK has slightly more than half the number of critical care beds that Italy has which is even more discouraging. 

I wonder why Germany has 0 deaths out of 1100 cases. Are they not accurately reporting deaths or is something else happening there? They have by far the most critical care beds in Europe but that factor wouldn't be in play yet. 

Two reasons 1) Higher levels of testing 2) What you said in bold. People are dying elsewhere and not in Germany, their healthcare system is prepared for this.

17 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It worries me it sounds like he's considering this theory as an approach to dealing with the outbreak... 

Doesn't matter what he does at this point. You've seen people in Italy with no ****s given, riots throughout prisons etc etc. If he said tomorrow shut every public event down, you'd have people complain that it's overreacting, if he does nothing and let's the virus run it's course you'll have people complain it's underreacting. 

Lose/lose situation, as most pandemics are I'd imagine. 

Edit: dunno how I ended up with two quotes. Stupid phone. 

Edited by Innovindil