Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

We also don't indulge in the italian cheek kissing greeting, which i would have thought would be the most likely way of spreading a virus.

One way of it spreading, I'm sure. But I read that it can spread from general proximity - just breathing or talking within about 2 metres of someone, never mind giving them a hug - or just touching stuff they've touched.

The infection stats suggest we're following a similar trajectory to Italy, just a fortnight behind. Hopefully there are factors - or things we can do - that will ensure the impact is less severe here (and the contagion in Italy doesn't seem to be slowing yet, despite the measures they've taken, though that's bound to take time).

55 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

ITV report on situation in Italy, including interviews with 2 Italian doctors: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/?fbclid=IwAR0wr8PxdepQ8XLt1fMi5k483ru3yG15JEbxDJUaDUpBir2VUU2BjT1NO4I

As the trajectory of the stats suggests that we might be a fortnight behind where Italy is now, this bit gives pause for thought....

"The World Health Organisation ranks Italy second in the world for health care provision, with only France rated higher. The UK is 18th. That is across the whole country, but Lombardy is the richest region in Italy and likely to be way ahead of some regions in the south. And yet even a system as good as this is teetering on the brink. How would the NHS cope if - or perhaps we should say when - our infection rate is as high as Italy's? Let’s hope the Italian experience is giving us time to prepare".

And for anyone thinking the young are unaffected by this, comments from the doctors.....

- "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems). A lot of patients need help with breathing but there are not enough ventilators. They've told us that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities. At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young."

- "We've had no critical cases among children but [...] the very young are crazy carriers. A child with no symptoms will go to visit its grandparents, and basically kill them. So it’s essential to avoid contact between them".

- "You have no idea how many young people are here, I mean even 20-year-olds with no underlying conditions, in need of assisted breathing because of horrible pneumonia".

This is scary. However I read this morning that they've been giving an anti-inflammatory drug used for arthritis, which has had some beneficial results and once a pandemic is announced, apparently it allows us too speed up drug production?

The main issue i have with this corona virus pandemic is people stock piling toilet roll soap hand sanitiser ect what were they doing before all of this not washing hands ect. At the end of the day its common sense if you sneeze/snot wash your hands if you go to the toilet wash your hands if you come into contact

with people who have a cold/flu wash your hands/sanitise them. Its common sense

I think most of the world adopted this fella approach, looking at the hysteria around panic buying stuff! 

Also, you can understand why this originated in the China wet markets:

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I hear that schools are looking at using GCSE mock results as actual results. If the same happens for A-levels, you may have a more relaxed May than you were anticipating. Assuming you don't get coronavirus.  

I have read that but it all seems pretty ridiculous in truth. When I did my GCSE’s I fared much better in the actual thing than mocks.

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

This logically makes sense, and hopefully is backed up by strong evidence.

On a broader note, it seems we will need to as a society move more and more towards remote working, which raises concerns of another kind of terms of greater and greater isolation in society. I am sure there's a good proportion of people who wouldn't really have any social interaction if it weren't through work. 

3 hours ago, bmt said:

That was the containment phase, you mean delay. From my experience of a levels you’ll be fine and can study more whilst you’re stuck at home

Oh yeah you’re right. I’m good at independent study so wouldn’t be too bothered tbh

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

Fair enough. Can understand the logic of that. 

Think delay won't have started off well with Liverpool Atletico last night and the fact they'll have 500000 people on the streets next week when they have won the prem, however.

17 minutes ago, rachhere said:

This logically makes sense, and hopefully is backed up by strong evidence.

On a broader note, it seems we will need to as a society move more and more towards remote working, which raises concerns of another kind of terms of greater and greater isolation in society. I am sure there's a good proportion of people who wouldn't really have any social interaction if it weren't through work. 

It does, in a way. 

However, based on the actual WHO statistics on those requiring hospital care (20%) and not throwaway ones we get from govt spokespeople (99% will recover) do we really think society is going to accept that when news starts getting out about carnage and chaos in UK hospitals, in the short term. 

The govt have been very clever with their messaging to avoid panic. Always adding "elderly with underlying conditions" when announcing deaths, radio news bulletins always ending segments with "but for most, symptoms are mild" and now parroting "science based" decision making to add gravitas. 

Its all well and good, but when shit actually hits the fan in the short term, and its visible, will a panicking society at large accept this. 

Edited by martyn

1 minute ago, martyn said:

It does, in a way. 

However, based on the actual statistics on those requiring hospital care (20%) and not throwaway ones we get from govt spokespeople (99% will recover) do we really think society is going to accept that when news starts getting out about carnage and chaos in UK hospitals, in the short term. 

They seem to have accepted it up until now - it was Labours key focus in the election that the NHS was in crisis, and despite supporting evidence from the media it got them no where! 

1 minute ago, Blackboots only said:

I’m currently in Leicester city centre. 
It’s like a Sunday morning, very few people about compared to a usual week day. 

I went to Westfield last Saturday. Peak time. Never seen it so quiet.

12 minutes ago, Blackboots only said:

I’m currently in Leicester city centre. 
It’s like a Sunday morning, very few people about compared to a usual week day. 

This is not a bad thing. It shows that people are socially distancing WITHOUT government measures.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My boss has all the symptoms and is someone with quite bad respiratory issues which have hospitalised him in the past. Anyway, 111 have told him it can't be coronavirus as he hasn't been abroad. This is deeply perturbing.

Madness 111 are saying that. As if time hasn't passed where people could have come back from holiday and passed it on. 

Just now, hejammy said:

Why have the previous posts about the chap going to the stadium after going to Italy been deleted? 

Maybe to avoid unnecessary panic, especially considering there was no actual confirmation that he even went. 

I work in media buying. Predominantly online media buying.

You know the banners you see on this forum? Their average click through rate (by actual people, taking bots out of the equation) is 0.06%.

Currently , 0.0007% of people in the UK have it. So you're 8,832 times more likely to click one of the banners in this thread than you are to currently have coronavirus.

Now yes, it is going to get worse. But even Italy has 0.0206% of its population infected.

So, stop and think for a second how likely it is that you'll click one of the banners in this thread. Then think again about getting coronavirus being thousands of times less likely than that happening.

And then, finally, stop panicking.

• Like 1

Just now, stripeyfox said:

Maybe to avoid unnecessary panic, especially considering there was no actual confirmation that he even went. 

That's fair enough, but if he did then he should let the club know 

3 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I work in media buying. Predominantly online media buying.

You know the banners you see on this forum? Their average click through rate (by actual people, taking bots out of the equation) is 0.06%.

Currently , 0.0007% of people in the UK have it. So you're 8,832 times more likely to click one of the banners in this thread than you are to currently have coronavirus.

Now yes, it is going to get worse. But even Italy has 0.0206% of its population infected.

So, stop and think for a second how likely it is that you'll click one of the banners in this thread. Then think again about getting coronavirus being thousands of times less likely than that happening.

And then, finally, stop panicking.

I think a lot of people think that a coronavirus diagnosis is a death sentence.