Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, Ric Flair said:

What's happening to dogs in countries like Italy on full lockdown? 

You try telling a dog it ain't having a walk for the next month, there'll be uproar.

You’re allowed to walk your dog and allowed to go jogging on your own. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sly said:

Our approach:

* If you can work at home, work at home - still paid in full.

* If you’re ill with this, stay at home - still paid in full.

* If schools close down - stay at home and try and work if possible. Children are important - still paid in full. 

Now, I work for a large company, so it’s easy for us to say that. However, to not pay people, or expect them to work for pittance is bonkers.

I've had I think 1 day off ill in almost 6 years working at my current place, carried over as much "sick pay" days as the policy allows (I think 6 but not sure). If I get it and they immediately shift me onto statutory I'll be livid. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Bit daft if the UK is still open for business, all you need to to is catch a flight to Heathrow and then to the US, Or maybe the plan is to use us for checking if people from mainland Europe have the virus before setting them on their way to America

7:59

Can passengers transit through the UK to the USA?

Question from Claire Tuck

Tom Burridge

Transport correspondent

US border officials will be able to ask people for their original point of travel and if you’re connecting via the UK from a Schengen country then your airline ticket will show that.

However, if someone has travelled on the Eurostar from France or with an airline from any Schengen country and then days later catches a flight to the US from Britain, then it’s possible that might not be picked up by US officials as passports are not stamped.

But I certainly wouldn't do it. Anyone who has travelled past US border officials will know that would be a risk and US officials could ask to see your bank records for details of your previous travel.

Always makes me laugh “if you’re working from home you’ll still be paid in full” well, yes? Because I’m STILL WORKING I’m just not doing it at my desk. I think we’ve made massive strides in this country to embrace remote and flexible working but it’s still mad how many companies are completely petrified by the thought of their employees being anywhere they can’t keep an eye on them. 

• Like 4

Have to say very impressed with my company so far on this. Full statement on working practices put out first week of March, updated following questions raised by employees within 3 days and now we have a structured closed office day next week where all will be asked to work from home on a trial basis to see how things would work and to identify any problems which may arise.

Though it  doesn't affect me as I'm not head office based I have to say this is pretty good forward thinking.

I'm still confused as to the government approach to those on zero hours contrats and especially those in the care sector. My wife works a few hours a week part time doing care work on zero hours contract. 95% of people who work with her are in a similar position and will not be covered by any initiative so far. Also as they are caring for the most vulnerable in society none can understand why they are not being routinely checked for the illness.

There seems to be  no policy on this yet if the most vunerable in out society being cared for in their homes can no longer receive this care then they will have to go into hospitals which presumably is the last place we want them to be.

Maybe I've missed the government's policy on this but I fear there isn't one.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Its because we aren't in Schengen and on the mainline.

Every by the standards of the EU to continue to allow open borders during this outbreak is a massive fcuk up.

Well the Chancellor has just been on Radio 4 where he stated that he didn't think restricting travel and closing borders would make much difference to the spread of the virus so i guess you think he's wrong.

37 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I've had I think 1 day off ill in almost 6 years working at my current place, carried over as much "sick pay" days as the policy allows (I think 6 but not sure). If I get it and they immediately shift me onto statutory I'll be livid. 

This is where the financial companies, banks, power supply companies etc are not playing ball. The government are expecting people to self isolate but not taking into account that people will still need to pay bills. What happens if the worst comes to the worst and 90% of the population has to stay indoors? There doesn't seem to be a plan in place to protect the little people.

So what are the chances my flights to Marbella are cancelled on 18th April? 

Didn't think it was possible but it seems the media panic has gone up a notch, starting to worry about flights.

Also have a New York flight on 3rd of May. If they know I've been in Spain (will they know?), will they let me in?

28 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Under the delay tactic will public transport be suspended ?

Very unlikely. Public transport is still running in Italy remember.

I don't think the guidelines today will be anywhere near as strict as people are anticipating.

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Very unlikely. Public transport is still running in Italy remember.

I don't think the guidelines today will be anywhere near as strict as people are anticipating.

So as a bus driver I will be expected to be on the frontline still even though the advice will be to stay at home or maintain 1mtr of separation. 

ITV report on situation in Italy, including interviews with 2 Italian doctors: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/?fbclid=IwAR0wr8PxdepQ8XLt1fMi5k483ru3yG15JEbxDJUaDUpBir2VUU2BjT1NO4I

As the trajectory of the stats suggests that we might be a fortnight behind where Italy is now, this bit gives pause for thought....

"The World Health Organisation ranks Italy second in the world for health care provision, with only France rated higher. The UK is 18th. That is across the whole country, but Lombardy is the richest region in Italy and likely to be way ahead of some regions in the south. And yet even a system as good as this is teetering on the brink. How would the NHS cope if - or perhaps we should say when - our infection rate is as high as Italy's? Let’s hope the Italian experience is giving us time to prepare".

And for anyone thinking the young are unaffected by this, comments from the doctors.....

- "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems). A lot of patients need help with breathing but there are not enough ventilators. They've told us that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities. At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young."

- "We've had no critical cases among children but [...] the very young are crazy carriers. A child with no symptoms will go to visit its grandparents, and basically kill them. So it’s essential to avoid contact between them".

- "You have no idea how many young people are here, I mean even 20-year-olds with no underlying conditions, in need of assisted breathing because of horrible pneumonia".

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spacemunky said:

10:33 here in a pub. Owner has put us on lockdown. Tequila looks like the cure!

Whats makes the NBA shutting down for at least 2 weeks is the fact of all people it  was rudy gobert who caused it, the crying baby who mocked  covid19 by touching microphones etc What a moron. Cant bode well for our beloved Raptors.  OG and the squad need to get tested. Hope everyone is okay including the cry baby.

Edited by Jattdogg

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Might be a dumb question but what's stopping someone flying to the UK then getting a flight to the US? 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

7:59

Can passengers transit through the UK to the USA?

Question from Claire Tuck

Tom Burridge

Transport correspondent

US border officials will be able to ask people for their original point of travel and if you’re connecting via the UK from a Schengen country then your airline ticket will show that.

However, if someone has travelled on the Eurostar from France or with an airline from any Schengen country and then days later catches a flight to the US from Britain, then it’s possible that might not be picked up by US officials as passports are not stamped.

But I certainly wouldn't do it. Anyone who has travelled past US border officials will know that would be a risk and US officials could ask to see your bank records for details of your previous travel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

ITV report on situation in Italy, including interviews with 2 Italian doctors: https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/?fbclid=IwAR0wr8PxdepQ8XLt1fMi5k483ru3yG15JEbxDJUaDUpBir2VUU2BjT1NO4I

As the trajectory of the stats suggests that we might be a fortnight behind where Italy is now, this bit gives pause for thought....

"The World Health Organisation ranks Italy second in the world for health care provision, with only France rated higher. The UK is 18th. That is across the whole country, but Lombardy is the richest region in Italy and likely to be way ahead of some regions in the south. And yet even a system as good as this is teetering on the brink. How would the NHS cope if - or perhaps we should say when - our infection rate is as high as Italy's? Let’s hope the Italian experience is giving us time to prepare".

And for anyone thinking the young are unaffected by this, comments from the doctors.....

- "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems). A lot of patients need help with breathing but there are not enough ventilators. They've told us that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities. At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young."

- "We've had no critical cases among children but [...] the very young are crazy carriers. A child with no symptoms will go to visit its grandparents, and basically kill them. So it’s essential to avoid contact between them".

- "You have no idea how many young people are here, I mean even 20-year-olds with no underlying conditions, in need of assisted breathing because of horrible pneumonia".

Well that's not terrifying or anything. 

1 minute ago, Carl the Llama said:

Well that's not terrifying or anything. 

Maybe things won't develop the same way or to the same extent in the UK, as there are differences (e.g. localised outbreak spreading undetected in Lombardy for many days).

But the stats for the UK have been following a similar trajectory so far, just a fortnight behind - and I think we've been testing fewer people than some other countries, so there might be a lot more people than we realise who are infected but who have few, if any symptoms (esp. children & young adults).

I suppose the good news is that we can learn from experiences in places like Italy, China & Korea - and we have some time to act now (nationally and individually) to minimise the seriousness of all this.....but we might not have long.

Even spreading the same amount of infections over a longer time span could be massively beneficial, given limited health resources. There are clearly people dying in Italy who might have been saved if there hadn't been such a spike in infections, overwhelming resources & effectively leaving doctors to choose which patients to save and which to leave to die.... 

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

It looks increasingly likely that Johnson will put us in the containment phase which is a nightmare when I’m meant to be doing my a levels in May / June :frusty:

I hear that schools are looking at using GCSE mock results as actual results. If the same happens for A-levels, you may have a more relaxed May than you were anticipating. Assuming you don't get coronavirus.  

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Maybe things won't develop the same way or to the same extent in the UK, as there are differences (e.g. localised outbreak spreading undetected in Lombardy for many days).

But the stats for the UK have been following a similar trajectory so far, just a fortnight behind - and I think we've been testing fewer people than some other countries, so there might be a lot more people than we realise who are infected but who have few, if any symptoms (esp. children & young adults).

I suppose the good news is that we can learn from experiences in places like Italy, China & Korea - and we have some time to act now (nationally and individually) to minimise the seriousness of all this.....but we might not have long.

Even spreading the same amount of infections over a longer time span could be massively beneficial, given limited health resources. There are clearly people dying in Italy who might have been saved if there hadn't been such a spike in infections, overwhelming resources & effectively leaving doctors to choose which patients to save and which to leave to die.... 

We also don't indulge in the italian cheek kissing greeting, which i would have thought would be the most likely way of spreading a virus.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

I hear that schools are looking at using GCSE mock results as actual results. If the same happens for A-levels, you may have a more relaxed May than you were anticipating. Assuming you don't get coronavirus.  

But most pupils hardly even try in their mock exams and almost certainly do far shitter than usual.

18 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

One slight positive is that only 8% of Italian confirmed cases (remember that's the tip of the iceberg) are classed as severe or critical as opposed to WHO's Wuhan estimate of 15%. The sheer number of people in hospital would indicate that the number of cases undiagnosed is probably in the hundreds of thousands which is terrifying, but the likelihood is that if you get these bug, there's at least a 90% case that you'll have nothing worse than the flu. The issue is keeping it away from those in that 10% bracket who are most vulnerable. If 10 million get infected then 10% of that is still 1 million who'll need hospital support.

56 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

So as a bus driver I will be expected to be on the frontline still even though the advice will be to stay at home or maintain 1mtr of separation. 

It's unlikely at this stage that this will be the advice.