Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

yeah we got given laptops and monitors etc. on monday to take home to prepare for when we get the bunker in and save yourselves message from higher up. 

not looking forward to that. i like going to work. 

Just now, ScouseFox said:

yeah we got given laptops and monitors etc. on monday to take home to prepare for when we get the bunker in and save yourselves message from higher up. 

not looking forward to that. i like going to work. 

I work from home once a week and must admit, I do like going into the office and having the routine.

I have a 45 minute commute so it’s nice to listen to the radio and transition from work to home life.

Shame it has taken so long for people to finally take it seriously. Although I’m sure there are still loads of the “just putting it into perspective” people who are still waiting until the deaths exceed that of flu, or until someone they know needs ICU admission. Hope the UK gov announces that everything get shuts down tomorrow, it’s already way overdue and far worse than it could have been, thanks to Liverpool and Cheltenham.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theessexfox said:

Not sure why the UK is exempt, but it’s absolutely crazy that this is happening. I bet London to NY flights are nice and cheap over the next few days 

This is just a guess... as i have no clue...

is it easier to ‘ police’ all incomings from Europe if they are only coming from one country? easier to test and vet people if there’s only one source of entry?

Guest MattP
5 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Not sure why the UK is exempt, but it’s absolutely crazy that this is happening. I bet London to NY flights are nice and cheap over the next few days 

Its because we aren't in Schengen and on the mainline.

Every by the standards of the EU to continue to allow open borders during this outbreak is a massive fcuk up.

We had someone turn up to the office yesterday with a fever, and he told us his girlfriend was off work with flu like symptoms as well. 

He was told by one of our directors that "you're either ill or your not" and he couldn't work from home, despite work previously saying we could do so.

So now I'm really annoyed because 1) rather than working from home and getting paid full, it looks like we're only getting the measly £98 a week statutory sick pay if we have any symptoms, and 2) if work have this approach to the virus going forward then I'd say my chances of getting the virus are dramatically increased. 

All this despite being told on Monday we can work from home if we are self isolating.

All we keep being told is to 'not be worried as it only affects the elderly so none of us are going to die'. But what about the risk of passing it on to elderly relatives? That's what concerns me, and my co-workers the most. 

Edited by Fosse93

5 hours ago, Tuna said:

Just read Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for coronavirus in Australia. 

Haha someone giving you a sad smiley like they're on their death bed. If you read in to it they have felt a bit under the weather like a bit of a cold! 

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I already work from home 3 days a week, so it won't be much change for me. Will save a few hundred quid a month in train fares to and from London though which I'll blow on pizzas.

You should get a London Pizza in tribute. 

Actually maybe the London pizza is something you only get up north as I don't think I've seen in Leicestershire 

Edited by Collymore
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

We had someone turn up to the office yesterday with a fever, and he told us his girlfriend was off work with flu like symptoms as well. 

He was told by one of our directors that "you're either ill or your not" and he couldn't work from home, despite work previously saying we could do so.

So now I'm really annoyed because 1) rather than working from home and getting paid full, it looks like we're only getting the measly £98 a week statutory sick pay if we have any symptoms, and 2) if work have this approach to the virus going forward then I'd say my chances of getting the virus are dramatically increased. 

All this despite being told on Monday we can work from home if we are self isolating.

All we keep being told is to 'not be worried as it only affects the elderly so none of us are going to die'. But what about the risk of passing it on to elderly relatives? That's what concerns me, and my co-workers the most. 

Surely you can kick off to your employer, not your manager.

13 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

It looks increasingly likely that Johnson will put us in the containment phase which is a nightmare when I’m meant to be doing my a levels in May / June :frusty:

That was the containment phase, you mean delay. From my experience of a levels you’ll be fine and can study more whilst you’re stuck at home

43 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

Sorry mate, but the people running your company are willy pullers and you’d be better off finding another job IMO. 

“you’re either ill or your not” at a time like this Is probably the most ridiculous thing that could have been said. 

• Like 1

Our approach:

* If you can work at home, work at home - still paid in full.

* If you’re ill with this, stay at home - still paid in full.

* If schools close down - stay at home and try and work if possible. Children are important - still paid in full. 

Now, I work for a large company, so it’s easy for us to say that. However, to not pay people, or expect them to work for pittance is bonkers.

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Travel to the United States from Europe, but not including the UK, halted.

Bit daft if the UK is still open for business, all you need to to is catch a flight to Heathrow and then to the US, Or maybe the plan is to use us for checking if people from mainland Europe have the virus before setting them on their way to America

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

Haha someone giving you a sad smiley like they're on their death bed. If you read in to it they have felt a bit under the weather like a bit of a cold! 

Tom Hanks and his wife have essentially a cold, Rugani the footballer completely symptom free and Nadine Dorries recovered within 2-3 days. These celebrity cases are showing for the majority of us that we’ll be fine. It’s just keeping it away from those vulnerable adults which is key.