Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Look there is undoubtedly lots that everyone can learn by looking at how each other is handling the situation. As WHO have said, nobody has got it 100% right. South Korea's testing regime is great, making it easy for people to drive to a drive-thru test centre is a superb initiative that the government should look to here. But there is not a one size fits all policy, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea have all done well using different means. The government is relying more heavily on behavioural insights and whilst I could be slightly biased due to knowing a few people at the Behavioural Insights Unit quite well, it's pretty well accepted that the UK, Netherlands and US (more so under Obama) are miles ahead of anyone else on utilising Behavioural Science in policy. The government has been following its pre-prepared plan (anyone can read a snapshot of it online) as guided by advice from medical and behavioural experts. These people have access to information and data and know what to do with it that the lay man doesnt. 

It might turn out to be the wrong way to do it or it might turn out to be quite effective and others will be pointing at the UK to declare that a good practice model. 

That's all fair enough but behavioural science has limits which are being tested when dealing with something which the scientific community are struggling to understand. It, from my experience with behavioural economics and through friends in the area, relies on us having good data such as knowing how many people are infected in the uk (in this case). There are things which can be done which would have huge economic consequences but would reduce the spread without doubt.

9 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Since the time I posted "Everyone panic!" two hours ago, I have gone into full panic mode :frantics:

Been doing some reading online(never a good thing) and I'm thinking maybe I(and the people I'm close to) should be taking it serious now.

I tend to go to pubs and get a lot of takeout food. Might be cutting that out.

Might start stalking up on things in case there's a total lockdown here.

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

Anything else I should be stocking up on? 

Lol from not caring to making the problem worse in two hours.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Since the time I posted "Everyone panic!" two hours ago, I have gone into full panic mode :frantics:

Been doing some reading online(never a good thing) and I'm thinking maybe I(and the people I'm close to) should be taking it serious now.

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

Pizza? 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

• Thanks 1

I just came out of the largest Tesco in Scotland.

No toilet paper.

No hand san.

No wipes.

Very little dry pasta.

Limits on numbers of other items people can buy.

The girl on ths till told us that people today have been panic buying bottled water.

If buying a 15 pack of beer and a bit of extra white chocolate is panic buying, then I was panic buying...

• Haha 3

i’m not dismissing the catastrophic effect Covind-19 can have on some countries, their people and  their collective or individual economies, but i do believe that some good can come of this. I think flu levels will drop due to people isolating and having received extra education  on hand hygiene and infection control methods in general. Also, cancelled sporting events and gatherings could stop the spread of flu. 

In the long term, we could  see a reduction in flu cases and respiratory tract infections.

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MPH said:

i’m not dismissing the catastrophic effect Covind-19 can have on some countries, their people and  their collective or individual economies, but i do believe that some good can come of this. I think flu levels will drop due to people isolating and having received extra education  on hand hygiene and infection control methods in general. Also, cancelled sporting events and gatherings could stop the spread of flu. 

In the long term, we could  see a reduction in flu cases and respiratory tract infections.

I think one important lesson that can be learned for the future and that is to keep supplies of medical equipment, drugs and other supplies local to each country, whatever the cost. Relying on China to supply the world is a bad idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, yorkie1999 said:

I think one important lesson that can be learned for the future and that is to keep supplies of medical equipment, drugs and other supplies local to each country, whatever the cost. Relying on China to supply the world is a bad idea.

Marco Rubio, an american politician took this proposal to Trump just yesterday  who agreed and said he’d be proactive about. let’s hope he meant it.

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

"Follow the science" is starting to sound like one of the governments' beloved three word slogans. 

It's getting irritating. Yes, lets follow the advice of Government advisor scientist and end up like Italy.

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

so 6 cases in liverpool. wonder what that will look like after 3000 people from madrid who've been banned from going anywhere else apart from liverpool turn up. 

Several people in my office are going and one of my best mates works there. I'm doomed I reckon.

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Can you also give me the lottery numbers for this Friday ??   Assuming I manage to stay alive long enough to claim ....

Lottery winnings will be worthless. Unless they pay out in hand sanitiser and bog roll

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

Not sure I follow

Corona the beer brand.

because the names in the front of peoples minds and all the attention they are getting the beers actually selling quite well apparently.

And the supermarket in question is taking advantage.

i also quoted the wrong post 😂

Edited by Manwell Pablo

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Corona the beer brand.

because the names in the front of peoples minds and all the attention they are getting the beers actually selling quite well apparently.

And the supermarket in question is taking advantage.

Oh haha. You quoted the wrong post then :nigel:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

Condoms

Ky jelly

Machete

Rope

Bleach

Black garbage bags

Oh wait, sorry wrong thread....

Ummm

Advil/Tylenol

Paper towel

Tinned tuna

Tinned food in general