Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, stix said:

No ours are at WA. The app name has recently changed, but it used to be called Show My Homework. It’s pretty good actually. I’m surprised SW don’t have something similar. 

My eldest is at WA, but he was GCSE year this summer. SWHS have show my homework, there's just not much on it for her! 

The story doesn’t ring true with the childcare. It’s either

a) Drive up to Durham, enter a second home and stay as a family unit. Food shopping dropped off by family member. 

or 

b) Drive up to Durham with a child very likely to catch the virus. Then place the child in a family members home. Therefore causing a spread 

or even c) I suppose you go to a second home, invite someone in who then has to undertake 14 days isolation. 

Either way there’s a rule broken every time 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I’d have looked after the child if I wasn’t at death’s door. Just like I am imagining hundreds of people all over the country would do.

If I was in bed, my wife would have looked after him. If we were both incapacitated we would have got a relative to help.

Were both Cummings and his wife incapacitated? Obviously not given that Cummings managed to drive 250 miles to Durham. If he was so ill he couldn’t look after his son he was in no condition to be driving 250 miles to Durham.

If Cummings’ son has a condition that we don’t know about that’s different. But in that situation I don’t see how driving 4 hours in the car with at least one Ill person is the smart thing to do. 

My response wasn’t about Cummings, I’ve already said I disagree with how he did it. You said good to know we could have broken lockdown, if you needed childcare 9 weeks in but in getting a relative to look after the child, you already knew you could’ve. Or would have done so regardless.

I think @The Horse's Mouth was right, so much faux outrage. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Stays with you, obviously. We’re just about to send millions of children back to school, it’s clear that the government doesn’t think this is going to be a big issue for kids. What has everybody else in the country been doing when they get ill, popping round their folks’?

I cannot understand this. He broke the guidelines. Call it a sacking offence, don’t call it a sacking offence, I don’t care. But pretending this is all fine because of a series of hypotheticals which never came to pass is preposterous.

Do not disagree, if he without cause broke the recommendations, then as an advisor to the PM, he should go, of his own volition ideally. What I do not know though, and perhaps it has been confirmed as true, if there were extenuating circumstances.

If I recognised I was likely to be incapacitated along with my wife, then the army could not stop seeking valid childcare no matter the distance required.

7 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Get the relative to pick the kid up rather than take it yourself if if is a real possibility that the child cannot be cared for at home 

This is where it all falls apart for me ..... Cummings would know that his wife would be soon on the mend and once he became symptomatic (he may not have) then she could take care of the child (as she clearly did in Durham ) whilst he was suffering. the chances of them both being really ill at the same time was slim .......  

3 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The story doesn’t ring true with the childcare. It’s either

a) Drive up to Durham, enter a second home and stay as a family unit. Food shopping dropped off by family member. 

or 

b) Drive up to Durham with a child very likely to catch the virus. Then place the child in a family members home. Therefore causing a spread 

or even c) I suppose you go to a second home, invite someone in who then has to undertake 14 days isolation. 

Either way there’s a rule broken every time 

I'm going with A. No rules broken 

9 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Get the relative to pick the kid up rather than take it yourself if if is a real possibility that the child cannot be cared for at home 

Agree wholeheartedly and we spoke to our parents who said they would come down if looked bad, but they would take our son home with them, I just do not know the situation with DC’s family, such as can they drive? Are the banned? 
He seems like an ass, but I will try to condemn no-one without the full facts. Perhaps they are there, and I am just to lazy to read them.

Just now, FoxesDeb said:

Apart from the one which says you should NOT go to stay in a second home under any circumstances once lockdown had commenced. And the one which says that if anyone in your house is symptomatic then you must isolate. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

My response wasn’t about Cummings, I’ve already said I disagree with how he did it. You said good to know we could have broken lockdown, if you needed childcare 9 weeks in but in getting a relative to look after the child, you already knew you could’ve. Or would have done so regardless.

I think the latter allegation is evidentially weak but I don’t think there is faux outrage generally.

If Cummings is in the wrong as you seem to believe then there should be recognition and accountability. Both are absent hence the response. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Well it is because he could have done that in London. Stay at your primary address. Food can be delivered online (or as reported delivered by his wife family who live in London). 

Are Mrs. Cumming’s family in London all drug—induced criminal miscreants? Is there any reason at all they couldn’t childmind to save a 250 mile trip?

23 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Is sticking a kid in a small metal box for 6 hours with one, if not too symptomatic adults consistent with best scientific advice ? 

no, we’ve just been told to ignore scientific advice and government advice and act on instinct if necessary. which i reckon is how i’ll roll from now on. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

This is where it all falls apart for me ..... Cummings would know that his wife would be soon on the mend and once he became symptomatic (he may not have) then she could take care of the child (as she clearly did in Durham ) whilst he was suffering. the chances of them both being really ill at the same time was slim .......  

I agree. Moving the child would need to be a measure of last resort 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apart from the one which says you should NOT go to stay in a second home under any circumstances once lockdown had commenced. And the one which says that if anyone in your house is symptomatic then you must isolate. 

So, I'm probably wrong, but I thought the rules were strongly recommended to be followed, but we were allowed to use our common sense allowing for personal circumstances? 

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Are Mrs. Cumming’s family in London all drug—induced criminal miscreants? Is there any reason at all they couldn’t childmind to save a 250 mile trip?

Maybe. Or vulnerable? Or not close? :dunno:

Who knows, guess the truth is out there somewhere.

Guest ttfn
5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

We’re not talking about the same thing.

You don’t “need” childcare if you’re well enough to drive 250 miles, you want childcare. If you think you’re likely to take a turn for the worse at any minute, the last place you want to be is doing 70+ on the A1/M1. As others have said, why didn’t Cummings’ parents or other relatives pick the son up? If this is really the life or death matter some seem to be painting it as, wouldn’t that make more sense than having 2 Covid-positive people driving half the length of the country?

The outrage is not faux. I couldn’t care less about Cummings personally or Boris for that matter, the last thing we need is more upheaval at the moment. I want our leadership to show some integrity, to be people who back up their words with actions and not hide behind ludicrously weak scripted defences when it’s clear they’ve breached the guidance they’ve set for everybody else. Anybody could concoct a set of circumstances to justify that sort of

trip, the point is that most of us haven’t and wouldn’t.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

You’re right, staying with Dom’s (high-risk) parents was a much better idea. Don’t want the fuss of travelling across London either. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well it is because he could have done that in London. Stay at your primary address. Food can be delivered online (or as reported delivered by his wife family who live in London). 

Were her family in a position to do that? I have family who live near me, but they wouldn't help me out! And I haven't been able to get an online food slot since February... 

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

You’re right, staying with Dom’s (high-risk) parents was a much better idea. Don’t want the fuss of travelling across London either. 

Are they high risk? Dom’s parent I mean?

Guest ttfn
2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I think this is a fair point, we don’t know the full circumstances. But the circumstances as presented don’t merit the defence Cummings’ actions have been afforded.