Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

You’re right, staying with Dom’s (high-risk) parents was a much better idea. Don’t want the fuss of travelling across London either. 

Glad you agree on the travelling across London aspect. Can't imagine the stress of crossing the city with everyone isolating; much easier to travel up to Durham 

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Were her family in a position to do that? I have family who live near me, but they wouldn't help me out! And I haven't been able to get an online food slot since February... 

True, it would be very hard for a high ranking government adviser in the middle of London to. Find someone to drop shopping off 

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Are they high risk? Dom’s parent I mean?

Bloke is 48, unless they were teenage parents, I assume they’d be in the high risk category on age.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

I think this is a fair point, we don’t know the full circumstances. But the circumstances as presented don’t merit the defence Cummings’ actions have been afforded. 

Come on, damning without evidence is far more indigsetible than entertaining the idea that there could be “more to it”. Maybe there isn’t and he is just an a-hole, but I do not know and no amount of assumptions fills that hole satisfactorily for me.

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Were her family in a position to do that? I have family who live near me, but they wouldn't help me out! And I haven't been able to get an online food slot since February... 

There’s not just family, there’s work colleagues etc. There’s numerous people to call upon for a food delivery. I understand it as well London was infinitely better online because it’s how the majority of it’s resident do the ‘big shop’.

His wife would have been requiring of 7 days isolation. So at maximum it was seven days food which needed purchasing. 

This is the actual task many of the general public faced and managed to get by. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Glad you agree on the travelling across London aspect. Can't imagine the stress of crossing the city with everyone isolating; much easier to travel up to Durham 

Cummings is well known by media hacks for how he uses a car everywhere because he’s anxious of using public transport 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 minute ago, Finnaldo said:

True, it would be very hard for a high ranking government adviser in the middle of London to. Find someone to drop shopping off 

Bloke is 48, unless they were teenage parents, I assume they’d be in the high risk category on age.

So it’s an assumption. My parents are both 75 but in fine health and told by their doctor they are not considered at risk.

So many assumptions in this thread so people can act superior about someone they know nothing about :rolleyes:

Anyway. Carry on! (Suspect he is being a fibber mind lol)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ttfn said:

We’re not talking about the same thing.

You don’t “need” childcare if you’re well enough to drive 250 miles, you want childcare. If you think you’re likely to take a turn for the worse at any minute, the last place you want to be is doing 70+ on the A1/M1. As others have said, why didn’t Cummings’ parents or other relatives pick the son up? If this is really the life or death matter some seem to be painting it as, wouldn’t that make more sense than having 2 Covid-positive people driving half the length of the country?

The outrage is not faux. I couldn’t care less about Cummings personally or Boris for that matter, the last thing we need is more upheaval at the moment. I want our leadership to show some integrity, to be people who back up their words with actions and not hide behind ludicrously weak scripted defences when it’s clear they’ve breached the guidance they’ve set for everybody else. Anybody could concoct a set of circumstances to justify that sort of

trip, the point is that most of us haven’t and wouldn’t.

I’m not getting into the Dominic Cummings thing, it’s been done to death now. I’ve said I don’t agree with his actions and at no point would I do it unless there was no other option.

Just so we are clear though, you did know you could get a relative to look after your child, if you were very unwell or even if it wasn’t allowed (it was) you would have done it anyway. Which is the right answer obviously.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

So it’s an assumption. My parents are both 75 but in fine health and told by their doctor they are not considered at risk.

Over 70s have been told to be extra precautions regardless, that’s been fact all of lockdown. Covid Dom driving up is in complete contrast of that advice.

• Like 2

Just now, Finnaldo said:

Over 70s have been told to be extra precautions regardless, that’s been fact all of lockdown. Covid Dom driving up is in complete contrast of that advice.

I do not know the situation for all parties, but will assume the best of people where possible. If he is an a-hole, then he should willing step down, not that he seems the sort.

24 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So, I'm probably wrong, but I thought the rules were strongly recommended to be followed, but we were allowed to use our common sense allowing for personal circumstances? 

During the first week of lockdown when the epidemic was almost at its height and the most people were likely infectious , there wasn’t room for common sense - the rules were the rules and the actions they took in visiting a second home were specifically forbidden, especially when symptomatic 

Was it a family home in Durham? If you live in Durham but work in London, which is classed as your 'second' home? I guess it's a loophole they will use. Either way, I think he'd have been better off admitting the mistake, if there are other examples then of course he should be fired. Talk on twitter of police investigation is a bit ott though. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Talk on twitter of police investigation is a bit ott though. 

It’s bit of a non story that. Equally OTT is the video I’ve seen of his neighbours going a bit OTT with the stick. Particularly at his family address. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Let's not forget that as a spin doctor, DC is skilled in the art of putting a gloss on virtually anything. So maybe he's spun a yarn to convince No.10 to keep him on, despite having broken the spirit (if not the letter) of the law. Maybe he knows too much of the inner workings of the place to risk being fired. Meanwhile, over 100 more have died today, some very possibly as a result of other folk having taken the same rather liberal interpretation of the lock-down laws as he clearly did.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zorro en españa said:

The choreography occurring here could be interesting.

Yesterday - give out the initial message and then come in last night with new revelations after Practically all of the Cabinet support the message.

Now - despite the claim there are two further “sightings” BJ has felt necessary to represent his govt in the presser and has defended the message.

Can you imagine tonight - video evidence supporting the Barnard Castle visit and/ or the 19 April excursion back to Durham comes to light.  Surely the Press have something more than hearsay - if so, both of them are toast.

Let’s see.

At this moment in time the answer is no.  It couldn't have been clearer during the press briefing that the media didn't really have anything.  

However, of course that might change.  In that regard the Prime Minister is taking a huge risk.  But then again so are the MSM.

As it stands right now though, the PM made the right decision IMO.  It doesn't matter how much some may hate Cummings and/or his politics, the evidence just wasn't there to support his dismissal.

55 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

So, I'm probably wrong, but I thought the rules were strongly recommended to be followed, but we were allowed to use our common sense allowing for personal circumstances? 

Surely the most important measure in controlling an epidemic is that those infected need to be isolated. In particular they should not be travelling from one area to another and risk spreading the virus further.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Surely the most important measure in controlling an epidemic is that those infected need to be isolated. In particular they should not be travelling from one area to another and risk spreading the virus further.

Even if you have a young child who cannot possibly be expected to survive without the help of an adult? 

2 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Strong rumours circulating online that Cummings' 4 year old has Autism.  If true this is very ugly.

If there are extenuating circumstances then the family should have relocated before lockdown and not waited for one to become infected ...it’s not like cummings wouldn’t have known lockdown was coming and if he felt he needed to be in London then his wife and child could have gone to Durham ahead of him and he would have been in jenrick’s situation. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

If there are extenuating circumstances then the family should have relocated before lockdown and not waited for one to become infected ...it’s not like cummings wouldn’t have known lockdown was coming and if he felt he needed to be in London then his wife and child could have gone to Durham ahead of him and he would have been in jenrick’s situation. 

Why not just make the autism

public when admitting your reasons and judgement. People wouldn’t think any less of it and it would appear more honest.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Even if you have a young child who cannot possibly be expected to survive without the help of an adult? 

Well this has been done to death earlier, so I don’t really have anything to add. Stopping the spread of the virus is imperative and cannot be stressed too highly. Ordinary folk have had to cope as best they can, and without the benefit of Cummings position of privilege and power. In his position he could easily have made any number of alternative arrangements without leaving home.

Those who drew up the lock down regulations (including Cummings himself) should have provided for such circumstances so that people in a genuinely difficult position could get help to safely make alternative arrangements for child care without putting others at risk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

He's the chief advisor to the Prime Minister during the biggest national crisis since the Second World War.  There's absolutely no chance he'd have been permitted to flee to Durham to escape any potential infection.

Could you imagine what the press would have been like if he'd done that! lol