Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Saw a tweet suggesting the trip to Durham coincided with his old girls birthday and the walk at Barnard castle coincided with his wife's birthday.

No idea if true but possible interesting take, certainly on the Barnard castle trip.

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't think teachers are lazy, nor special. But safety cannot be guaranteed (if it does mean it literally) for any of us. All we can do is put measures in place to try and reduce the risk.

That's what the unions are trying to do.

My lad is year 10 so he's expected to go back soon. My wife is high risk but neither the school, council or government have said whether our lad is expected back. They haven't mentioned having a plan in place for what they will do should a child go down with Covid. They seem as clueless as they did when it all started and they didn't even introduce extra sanitisers in the school. Let a bunch of kids who'd been to Spain on an exchange back into the school on the Monday even though two kids and a teacher had symptoms over the weekend. We took him out of school the following day.

Teachers and parents have a right to know what the options/plans are when the next case hits.

Teachers aren't special, every employee has a right to be safe at work (H&S I believe, probably some EU rubbish ;))

I'm not emergency services/armed forces, my contract doesn't say that there's a chance I may get ill at work, take it home and pass it on to someone who may very well not survive.

Thinking back on that briefing earlier today, it was exactly that, all too brief.  A good 20 minutes or so under what it usually is.

Partly down to cutting off the journalists not being able to ask follow up questions.  Peston's reaction said it all when the camera feed came back to him for a split second before returning again to the next guy in line.

A total shambles of a show.

Top level of government in this country and it's come to this.  Almost felt like a Trump conference, minus the hostility towards the media.  Bojo just continues oblivious to it all.  This isn't going away.  All it needs is photo evidence to back up what's been said by the papers today and he's well and truly deep in trouble.

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The story doesn’t ring true with the childcare. It’s either

a) Drive up to Durham, enter a second home and stay as a family unit. Food shopping dropped off by family member. 

or 

b) Drive up to Durham with a child very likely to catch the virus. Then place the child in a family members home. Therefore causing a spread 

or even c) I suppose you go to a second home, invite someone in who then has to undertake 14 days isolation. 

Either way there’s a rule broken every time 

So the defence for anyone fined for going to their second home on the coast is that they did it for their mental health.

If his child is autistic, then that’s a perfectly legitimate reason for doing what he did, sort of.

It’s the dishonesty, the lack of clarity and flagrant disregard for their own rules is what’s annoying most people.

The child has a right to privacy, 100%, which is probably the motivation behind not saying anything. 

But what would have prevented this mess is if the government had actually bothered to give clear guidance for guardians of children with learning difficulties and special needs.

That would have helped a hell of a lot of families, saved a lot of distress especially for autistic people, and served as a decent excuse for when this inevitably came up. 

I probably also might not have lost my job and been on UC, but never mind. 

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s not just family, there’s work colleagues etc. There’s numerous people to call upon for a food delivery. I understand it as well London was infinitely better online because it’s how the majority of it’s resident do the ‘big shop’.

His wife would have been requiring of 7 days isolation. So at maximum it was seven days food which needed purchasing. 

This is the actual task many of the general public faced and managed to get by. 

In Hackney there were posters all over the place and fliers through the letterrbox telling you weren't on your own and a contact number and web address. 

It's worked a lot better than the NHS one which seemed to take weeks. Various payment methods available, a neighbour was involved with deliveries within two days.

'He doesn't care about you'

Does anyone actually believe any MP or Government official actually cares about them personally? I can guarantee you not many do.

50 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

What Cummings did was wrong - but I think the MSM have forgotten what happened to Caroline Flack (yes completely different circumstances) but if we wake up tomorrow and hes hung himslf or something then what? Media and news coverage is there to scrutinise and report, but camping outside his house today and hounding him is wrong whatever the offence hes committed. Thats my take anyway.

I also think Journos and reporters are sick of reporting on COVID that this is the first real story now that could sell papers again in the coming days so trying to get the best scoop possible. Its all got too carried away

The billboard went over the line, and the press should be keeping their distance, but the rest of it is justified IMO, especially when you're in the limelight. I don't know what lengths they've gone too outside his house.

2 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

would like to once again ask why you are defending him? no other tory has yet to come up with a reason other than because he's a tory. you don't actually have to defend him, you know? you can take a step back and look at the developments of the last 48 hours and like 99% of the rest of the country, you can think what an absolute bellend. 

what would it take him and the rest of his pals to do for you to not defend him? like fair play, boris johnson is going to defend him because he owes him this chapter of his career. you owe him absolutely fu ck all? he is actively taking the piss out of you and you are defending him? 

TORY TORY TORY!!!

You wanna be careful mate, you'll end up getting banned.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Seriously debs, it’s a mild flu for 80% of people. the likelihood that both parents would be incapacitated and unable to care for their child is v v low and in that unlikely situation, there are still options, especially for the prime minister’s senior aide.   Driving 260 miles against the guidelines is straight wrong  and to use the child as an excuse merely makes it worse imo. 

In the same position the rest of us wouldn't have had a high range car laid on by the government, probably with police support vehicle.

3 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Why not just make the autism

public when admitting your reasons and judgement. People wouldn’t think any less of it and it would appear more honest.

Well many parents may want to use or even admit to the world that their child is on the spectrum.  'The A Word' series on at the moment has covered this in the past.

3 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

He's the chief advisor to the Prime Minister during the biggest national crisis since the Second World War.  There's absolutely no chance he'd have been permitted to flee to Durham to escape any potential infection.

Could you imagine what the press would have been like if he'd done that! lol

He was seen fleeing number 10 at speed. 

Irrespective of what he did and whether is was wrong or justifiable, what it does highlight is:

-His attitude isn’t great 

- He has helped boris to be more savvy, and what would this mean for boris if he has to sack

him

- The media I have detested since this all started. They break rules too, but I’m sure they will not be sacked. (plus the type of questioning, at the daily briefings drive me mad) 

Finally it highlights to me, if they the media take a disliking to anyone, they will hunt you down until they get what they want. 

If he was wrong to go up north, then yes he needs to be punished. But is being sacked always the only answer? 

Edited by turkish14

So now Dan Hodges is BBC Breakfast defending the trip to Barnard Castle, saying as he understood it you could drive somewhere for daily exercise. The rules always were you couldn't drive anywhere for exercise. If you couldn't get there on foot or bike, you shouldn't be going there. Hodges has been a a staunch defender of him, and again the rules are being rewritten to fit his behaviour.

5 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Just seems to be involved in a huge party.... unless it’s old footage it just seems a bit off. Maybe I’m jumping the gun here

Well that’s not good news, the way this threads gone in the past couple of days...

Assume he’ll be subjected to same hysteria 

Got admire these politicians that can completely stonewall during an interview. Just watching the Education Secretary repeating over and over that Cummings has assured the PM that he didn’t break the law.

Seemed like an absolute car crash to me.