Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Filip Benkovic to Bristol City (loan)

Guest An Sionnach
7 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Apparently Wes isn't interested in management, someone on here told me last time I brought that possibility forward.

Of course he may have other plans , but if there is a position within the business that suits him it would be great to keep him around and he is an East Midlander of course.

28 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Another start in a back 3 for him today. Cant believe bristol city were starting williams over him of all players, now with the old manager gone hopefully he can get a decent run of games in.

Lee Johnson is an absolute liberty. Benkovic getting good reviews in the past couple of games where he’s played. There’s a player in there for sure, just needs a run of games and to stay fit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TJB-fox said:

Lee Johnson is an absolute liberty. Benkovic getting good reviews in the past couple of games where he’s played. There’s a player in there for sure, just needs a run of games and to stay fit.

His distribution is already a massive improvement on Evans. If he can find his way back to his pre injury defensive form he could be pushing for a starting place next year. As good as evans is defensively if we're going to keep playing the ball out the back we need two centrebacks that are good with their feet.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

His distribution is already a massive improvement on Evans. If he can find his way back to his pre injury defensive form he could be pushing for a starting place next year. As good as evans is defensively if we're going to keep playing the ball out the back we need two centrebacks that are good with their feet.

Evans is more then good enough with his feet, and currently Benkovic is no were near his class as a defender, nut he would be an interesting option if we continue to play with a 3.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

13 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Evans is more then good enough with his feet, and currently Benkovic is no were near his class as a defender, nut he would be an interesting option if we continue to play with a 3.

Evans is pretty good with his feet (rarely gives it away), but often slow to move the ball.

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

I disagree, evans's ball playing ability is a weak point in our squad. I dont think ive seen him hit a long ball all season and it's not for lack of him trying. He's good enough when there's no pressure on him but when a team presses high when we're playing it out of the back he doesnt have the composure and just hits it up the field. Benkovic might never be as good defensively as him but that option for a ball over the top or to beat a press will make us a much more solid team against the pressing teams who like to get the ball back from forcing turnovers.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lesta Legend said:

So? They're still technically within reach of playoffs, it says a lot about how his ability is viewed by Bristol hierarchy that he's put straight in.

It’s a huge step from those teams to PL teams we aren’t learning anything we don’t know if he’s playing well against Hull and M’boro.

He wasn’t in the team on the return from lockdown. Thankfully he is now but he wasn’t ‘put straight in’ 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

2 hours ago, honeybradger said:

I disagree, evans's ball playing ability is a weak point in our squad. I dont think ive seen him hit a long ball all season and it's not for lack of him trying. He's good enough when there's no pressure on him but when a team presses high when we're playing it out of the back he doesnt have the composure and just hits it up the field. Benkovic might never be as good defensively as him but that option for a ball over the top or to beat a press will make us a much more solid team against the pressing teams who like to get the ball back from forcing turnovers.

EF1129B7-398C-48C3-AD6B-E966320B2551.thumb.jpeg.4c5dbb0622a53a4fa39dd1acbd6b37a6.jpeg

Clearly better than average on the ball

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Filip Benkovic - 8

Outstanding in the air as he constantly won aerial duels through Boro's best spell in the first half. Good distribution from the back too and given his good form it must be asked why he hasn't played more.

I think it was because he was pants before lockdown, hopefully this will breed confidence in the lad and he can get back to putting in some of those Celtic performances from a season back.

Guest An Sionnach

Few Centre Backs reach their prime before their mid twenties. Adams ,Terry and Moore have been exceptions , Jonny is at the top of his game now but he is 32. If we are sensible and injury allows it  Soyuncu and Benkovic  could be a formidable pairing in three years time.

37 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Few Centre Backs reach their prime before their mid twenties. Adams ,Terry and Moore have been exceptions , Jonny is at the top of his game now but he is 32. If we are sensible and injury allows it  Soyuncu and Benkovic  could be a formidable pairing in three years time.

I’d be very surprised if either player was still at the club in three years time. 

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I’d be very surprised if either player was still at the club in three years time. 

No guarantees in football but we need to aspire to retain and build.

17 hours ago, honeybradger said:

Evans is our best distribute of the ball for a centre back in years, I even said he was better on the ball than Maguire last season.

Also Soyuncu wouldn't be as good as he is alongside Benkovic. Don't underestimate Evans' influence on him, and the team, a bit like Huth had a good influence on Morgan.

Bristol City played two teams threatened with relegation. Before that Benkovic wasn't getting in the side, he's played in 6 games since signing in Jan.

Edited by Fox92