Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

Wolves 0-0 Leicester post match thread.

I agree you would always take a point away at wolves. Difficult place to go against a well organised team.

But how people can be satisfied with our performance is bizarre. We were slow, lethargic and pretty non existent going forward. The leagues top goalscorer is back to being totally isolated and marked out of the game and generally we seem happy with that.

This hasnt just happened and we have been declining for a considerable period now against a mixture of teams both home and away. Great at keeping possession in the middle and in our own half, but a complete wet blanket going forward.

No doubt we will play the same system against Man City. Another difficult team to break down with Vardy on his own. The system needs a mix up and players that have been below par need putting on the bench. Too many passengers at the minute.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

You got a problem with the truth?  Take off those blue tinted specs and look what's happening.

I guarantee you were calling for Puel's head when we were playing the same as now under him.

Haha!!!
Brendan Rodgers' 36 league games with Leicester have garnered 67 points. 71 scored, 35 conceded. GD of +36 : 3rd IN THE PL

Claude Puel's final 36 league games with Leicester garnered 42 points. 47 scored, 55 conceded. GD of -8 : 12th IN THE PL

Just for a bit of context...

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. how many points have we garnered in the last 10 games. We are set to get nothing from our next game. If we are the 7th best on our current run then it shows just how poor this league has been. 

Why you chose to include @NaijaFox in your reply is strange as his comments supported your argument, which I felt was clearly obvious. 

I included @NaijaFox in the reply because I agreed with him, which I felt was clearly obvious.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Haha!!!
Brendan Rodgers' 36 league games with Leicester have garnered 67 points. 71 scored, 35 conceded. GD of +36 : 3rd IN THE PL

Claude Puel's final 36 league games with Leicester garnered 42 points. 47 scored, 55 conceded. GD of -8 : 12th IN THE PL

I included @NaijaFox in the reply because I agreed with him, which I felt was clearly obvious.

...I wonder if @NaijaFox saw it that way.....just a thought!!!

Calm down people. We always knew that after that early/mid season on fire form, that teams would suss us out and thats exactly what's happened. Why do we think that BR has been obsessed with buying world class wingers and more DM's. Teams now have blocked the triangles and inter-linking play down the flanks. I think Praet should play instead of Tielemans because he has very good technical ability to play the ball through the middle of the park and when further up the field we can work the ball either way.

1 hour ago, Michael SNM 1 said:

think they had one bs Southampton aswell
Every team has had multiple marginal offside decisions go against them this season. Nobody has been “done over” VAR has made the right decision which is to give an offside. Not sure what the commotion about the RIGHT decision being made is.

I think the main problems are

1. The fans, players and officials in the stadium don't know what's going on. If it was played on the screens that would eliminate that problem,  a Simple and obvious solution that for some reason hasn't been implimented.

2. TV companies, who were originally in favour of offsides, thought it would be a brilliant idea as their presenters could analyse decisions in greater detail, much like how formula one has gone,  and therefore provide conclusive evidence of a decision  giving them the ultimate power over football games. It's no coincidence that ex footballers now seem against var offsides because they are fans of the game whereas most of the non ex- football presenters are all for it as the benefits they see give them the opportunity to be involved in a high profile sport without really having the credentials to do so.

3. How many referees and linesmen over the years have been cast as the villan at a football match, probably all of them as they are a necessary evil to most fans, with var, all of a sudden, the incorrect desicians made by the officials have been taken away so therefore they are now just the overseers of a football match so they are on a win win. If they carry on with var for offsides, no worries for them, if they drop var because of fan and player unrest, they automatically gain respect because everyone can remember the bad old days of var and maybe it's better how it used to be with the officials actually officiating at the game. It seems as though referees are pushing this exact technology with some sort of undelying hidden agenda, espeicially with the "expert in the studio" explaining a decision in minute detail that we can all see on the tv and that doesn't really need explaining.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

... isn't it the mantra that VAR needs to be clear and obvious!! 

What is clear and obvious about someone's boot being a couple of centimetres ahead of the play. 

I would just like to know, is it that it needs to be clear and obvious for some situations and not for others? 

The concept of *clear and obvious* errors does not apply to offsides.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Calm down people. We always knew that after that early/mid season on fire form, that teams would suss us out and thats exactly what's happened. Why do we think that BR has been obsessed with buying world class wingers and more DM's. Teams now have blocked the triangles and inter-linking play down the flanks. I think Praet should play instead of Tielemans because he has very good technical ability to play the ball through the middle of the park and when further up the field we can work the ball either way.

He hasn't seemed all that obsessed with buying wingers lately.

If anyone doubts the difference wingers can make with a struggling attack - or Adama Traore as a player - the last half-hour should dispel those doubts.  He totally changed the game from the moment he was inserted.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

The result was fine.  The problem was that the performance was dreadful - and most of them have been since Christmas.  And not only that, there are too many players who frankly don't look all that interested.  It's perfectly legitimate to be worried about those things, even if we're still in good shape in the table.

I've been worried since December tbh.  I just don't think Brendan knows what to do and we don't have the depth of squad yet to change it up sufficiently.

We really need a flair player on the pitch and when playing against teams like wolves a player like iheanacho who can hold up play further up the pitch. 

Also more muscle needed in the middle of the pitch. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If anyone doubts the difference wingers can make with a struggling attack - or Adama Traore as a player - the last half-hour should dispel those doubts.  He totally changed the game from the moment he was inserted.

Exactly. I assumed that he's put buying wingers into the club off until summer, maybe on the basis that we should get over the line with CL football. 

2 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

It's not what people are getting at though is it. Of course when people take a step back and look at it, they'll be over the moon. But what people are also saying is with recent results and performances, they're worried teams can catch us, it's fair reasoning.

Losing champions league positioning from this point, with the high stock on most of our players, could be devastating. Europe will be our best hand to play in keeping the likes of Maddison, Ricardo, Chilwell, perhaps even Soyuncu and Ndidi.

Ofcourse there's quite a few with squeaky bum syndrome, I get that!

Let's  look at the nature of the EPL though, Liverpool aside, and there have and continues to be lots of freak results due to how competitive the League is.

I personally do not see the fire, yes some indifferent results and performances, however, I'm sure there's not a club below us wouldn't swap places nor do I  doubt we will see out another magnificent achievement.

The beautiful game is about opinions, I love where we are and the direction the club is going in and for those citing Puel ball bs  please look at the stats @UpTheLeagueFox provided and calm your tits. LTID

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mozartfox said:

If being 3rd in February means we are not moving forward (from last season?)

- then I have serious doubts about the expectations of some of us.

League position can belie the trajectory of a side. At the end of last season we were moving forward. After March in 2015 we were moving forward. In fact, before that in 2015, when results were still poor, there was clear progress. And at other points in time we've been right to show serious caution, despite our position. Early 2001 and early 2011 spring to mind. Even 2013, when as  a squad we were still developing over a long-term time scale, but  problems were emerging that eventually needed addressing and would lead to a disappointing finish before they were.

Right now - and it might turn out not to be the case - I'd say we're at a stage where we either explore new ideas or choose to remain on the same trajectory. If we go for the latter I wonder whether we'll be so convinced that Rodgers is still moving us forward come the end of the season.

Of course it could just be a blip. Sides can have them and still finish 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th. And a squad can still be learning, growing, even when it doesn't look like it.

But do we look likely to score goals right now? Are performances good over a sustained period? Do the players look pleased with themselves? Are fans happy? Have there been any indications of slips in self-discipline? Is our build-up play, so crucial to the manager's approach, effective at the moment? Have results been top 6 level over what amounts to over a quarter of a season? Is there evidence that sides have come up with solutions against us - a problem in the past for this manager - which require a change of tack, and possibly to embrace the sort of physicality and directness that isn't this manager's trademark?

There's at very least cause for concern.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

Ofcourse there's quite a few with squeaky bum syndrome, I get that!

Let's  look at the nature of the EPL though, Liverpool aside, and there have and continues to be lots of freak results due to how competitive the League is.

I personally do not see the fire, yes some indifferent results and performances, however, I'm sure there's not a club below us wouldn't swap places nor do I  doubt we will see out another magnificent achievement.

The beautiful game is about opinions, I love where we are and the direction the club is going in and for those citing Puel ball bs  please look at the stats @UpTheLeagueFox provided and calm your tits. LTID

...lets face it, in respect of the first half of the season,we are not that team anymore!!!

We may have the same players, but we are not feared be any team we come up against. We put 9 past Southampton and yet the took us apart in the return game at home. We are where Puel ended up, can't breakdown a team sitting deep and can not beat the press as not able to move the ball quick enough, little or no intensity and passive in our movements.

I get the fact that we have the points on the board already but I have little faith we can turn our performances around.

• Like 2

Poor performance save for some heroic defending at the end but a great result. Our lack of experience against a top side showed yet again. Qualification for the Champions League will enable the club to bring in more quality players with experience and this will afford Rodgers the opportunity to take us to the next level. We are in pole position and the current squad should have enough to get us over the line but substantial reinforcements will be needed in order to mix it with the big boys at home and in Europe on a regular basis.

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...lets face it, in respect of the first half of the season,we are not that team anymore!!!

We may have the same players, but we are not feared be any team we come up against. We put 9 past Southampton and yet the took us apart in the return game at home. We are where Puel ended up, can't breakdown a team sitting deep and can not beat the press as not able to move the ball quick enough, little or no intensity and passive in our movements.

I get the fact that we have the points on the board already but I have little faith we can turn our performances around.

Obviously you are entitled to your negative and glass half empty opinion, I disagree and think we will be fine,it will be interesting to see how this pans out in the remaining 12 games.

There are some things which are pretty clearly lacking in our attack, which is why we struggle so badly against teams who sit back.

It's easy to pick out at the absence of wide threats, because it's a very real deficiency and was even when we were performing much better overall.  But generally speaking we lack anyone apart from Ricardo and very occasionally Barnes who will run at defenders and put them on their back foot.  We lack players who can create goals from nothing with a bit of magic - Maddison and Tielemans have shown flashes of it, but not lately.  It so happens that Ihenacho will run at defenders occasionally and Praet has directly or indirectly created several goals with incredible passes from a deep-lying position.  But neither of them can do those things from the bench.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Soton is the only game that really concerned me as we were outplayed convincingly.....yet we could have nicked a draw. 

think back to the league winning season .....before Xmas and after Xmas. the style of football we played .......and once we lost at arsenal we struggled to impose any style as teams had sussed us out and we had to keep clean sheets to get wins.  Hopefully wilf is back and 100% beyond Man City and we can see if our game improves markedly as a consequence - given how tight the league is, top to bottom, there won’t be many ‘non competitive games’ to come .....

wolves are a very capable side  - they came back against 10 man Man City to win and should have had a draw with Liverpool. a draw is ok 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Haha!!!

Basic question here is. Have we been found out and has Rodgers changed anything to adjust?  In my opinion, no he hasn't. Pass out from the back, pass to either Ricky or Barnes. They push forward, lay off to either Tilly or Madders. One of them either shoot or pass off to Vard's to score.  Since Norwich teams press our fullbacks, we rash pass to either Ricky or Barnes and they have 2 to 3 players on them. If they do get a pass to Vard's upfront there is generally no one in the box for him to pass to. It has become the way to play us. Sorry but if I can see that and Rodgers can't then something is wrong. Also why does he keep playing guys who are not performing. Sorry but Tilly, Barnes, Madders and Vard's are just not at the races lately. We here well Vard's top goal scorer in the league. Well if he isn't scoring and neither are our midfielders then we need a change. Don't know if Rodgers has the bottle to drop some of these players. Now go have your head explosions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I agree you would always take a point away at wolves. Difficult place to go against a well organised team.

But how people can be satisfied with our performance is bizarre. We were slow, lethargic and pretty non existent going forward. The leagues top goalscorer is back to being totally isolated and marked out of the game and generally we seem happy with that.

This hasnt just happened and we have been declining for a considerable period now against a mixture of teams both home and away. Great at keeping possession in the middle and in our own half, but a complete wet blanket going forward.

No doubt we will play the same system against Man City. Another difficult team to break down with Vardy on his own. The system needs a mix up and players that have been below par need putting on the bench. Too many passengers at the minute.

Such a wise man. I am glad it's not just me who can see this. Thank you

3 hours ago, wardyfox86 said:

Oh I'm firmly in your camp, I believe there's enough winnable games to see us over the line, but I'm far from confident of it.

But to claim fans are unhappy at being 3rd in the league is wide of the mark.

I was indicating with the hounds,the joy of outsiders,who enjoy building you up,just to knock one down..With the chickens..mmmm yes aimed at the forum's,struggling to quit cackling over unnecessary normal challenges,We are aiming high,but we should even see our struggles,like the fox,who also cant always  quite turn over that coup every day..ruffling feathers is also fun,even if you have to take a few pecks...

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

That's not because he's a winger though, that's because he's a 6 foot 6 brick sh*t house against a 5 foot tall ben chillwell. We could get 10 wingers, and they'd still be no-one to get on the end of a ball.

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That's not because he's a winger though, that's because he's a 6 foot 6 brick sh*t house against a 5 foot tall ben chillwell. We could get 10 wingers, and they'd still be no-one to get on the end of a ball.

But we didn’t double up on him effectively because we were down to ten men ....so he was often left one on one with Ben ..... I’m sure that Harvey would like to be left 1 v 1, attack after attack .......

and he isn’t 6’6” ?