Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

35 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Did they really need a 4 hour meeting to come out with that statement? What were they talking about lol I presume they also watched Lord of the Rings together in that time.

You expect them to announce what they discussed ?

they discussed lots ....... but they don’t want us to know because it will be analysed to death and it’s all prone to change over the next two weeks

38 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

This is the Dutch league - it looks as though most European countries are ending their seasons. Although I think current season should be finished, it's looking unlikely now. The Dutch conclusion seems the the best of the options if our's is abandoned.

The Dutch and french leagues have ended BECAUSE their govts have banned team sports until end August. 

That means the tv companies can’t refuse to pay the clubs (I think) because it’s a govt decision not to play the games. 

other countries will decide based on govt calls - Portugal is restarting end may 

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

The Dutch and french leagues have ended BECAUSE their govts have banned team sports until end August. 

That means the tv companies can’t refuse to pay the clubs (I think) because it’s a govt decision not to play the games. 

other countries will decide based on govt calls - Portugal is restarting end may 

I don't know about French or Dutch law.  But in English law, if a contract becomes frustrated (ie. it literally cannot be completed) because of events outside the control of both parties, then all monies paid up front are refunded.  Neither party is allowed to unfairly profit.  Which is why you are entitled to a refund for your cancelled holiday; if money paid up front was not refundable, whether to Sky by the Premier League or whether to me by my holiday company, it would be unfair.

• Like 1

Clearly money is the driving factor behind the Prem and legalities. As much as it pains me as we were going so well, I think just call it off and plan for next season starting in September/October. No Europe and no internationals until 21/22. 

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

I don't know about French or Dutch law.  But in English law, if a contract becomes frustrated (ie. it literally cannot be completed) because of events outside the control of both parties, then all monies paid up front are refunded.  Neither party is allowed to unfairly profit.  Which is why you are entitled to a refund for your cancelled holiday; if money paid up front was not refundable, whether to Sky by the Premier League or whether to me by my holiday company, it would be unfair.

Well I qualified my comment (in parenthesis) ....... I definitely heard a radio interview weeks ago re the french league and tv money to this end. 

Unless a vaccine is found and distributed before the end of the year , being a football fan , or any sports fan is going to be pretty soul destroying watching it all behind closed doors. The players will find it a horrible experience, imagine scoring a winner in the cup final and not hearing half the stadium erupt in untold joy. Even if this season does get played out and we finish top 4, our champions league journey next season will be hollow if it’s all behind closed doors. And if the 20/21 season kicks off in September, the absolute earliest we’ll see a game in the ground may not be March 2021. How can we social distance at packed football grounds?

Anyway , have a good day all! 

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

You expect them to announce what they discussed ?

they discussed lots ....... but they don’t want us to know because it will be analysed to death and it’s all prone to change over the next two weeks

I presume if the lockdown is extended they will have to delay starting the season or mass training ?

I cannot it going down well if the Government let football and other sports go ahead with their organising but telling everyone else to keep to the current norm.

Even if footballers are seen differently and less at risk.

It’s true the major weakness of Project Restart is whether the schedule falls apart if/when a player contracts the virus.

But that’s not just true of trying to restart the season now, it would also be true of any attempt to start next season in the autumn, early next year, etc.

It seems to me that if professional sport wants to resume at any point before mass immunity has been achieved, it will have to just find a way to deal with this eventuality.

29 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

I presume if the lockdown is extended they will have to delay starting the season or mass training ?

I cannot it going down well if the Government let football and other sports go ahead with their organising but telling everyone else to keep to the current norm.

Well not really ..... you are allowed to go to work if you can’t do your job at home.  I imagine footballers can argue that they they need to be in groups of 4/5, as long as they are socially distancing  - no tacking for the time being!   And not all players have full gyms/training facilities at home!   Some clubs have already re opened their training centres 

33 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yes I can’t see how either training or matches could be resumed if the current restrictions stay exactly the same for months.

However I think the assumption is that measures will begin to be relaxed later this month, then further again in June.

By the time you get to the proposed restart date, life will not be normal per se but the ‘lockdown’ phase may be over.

In circumstances where construction workers, shop assistants, and even some office workers have gone back to work, why should professional footballers refuse to do their jobs too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

Clearly money is the driving factor behind the Prem and legalities. As much as it pains me as we were going so well, I think just call it off and plan for next season starting in September/October. No Europe and no internationals until 21/22. 

Why will playing in September be any different to playing in June or July?

The virus will still be with us and there will still need to be strict measures in place. If you think it’s going to be unsafe to play in 6 weeks then it’s also going to be unsafe to play until a vaccine is ready in 12 months or so.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Why will playing in September be any different to playing in June or July?

The virus will still be with us and there will still need to be strict measures in place. If you think it’s going to be unsafe to play in 6 weeks then it’s also going to be unsafe to play until a vaccine is ready in 12 months or so.

I assume that as time passes, testing (availability and speed) will improve, case rates will drop and our understanding of how people are infected will be more informed.  player safety will theoretically be better in sept than June/July but then again, if they are kept in a bubble to finish the season, they can’t live in that bubble for next season ???

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

That’s a very poor comparison, if your holiday got cancelled, you got nothing for your money. So a full refund would be due.

If the season is not complete how can the TV companies claim they had nothing? If they do then surely they need to refund all sport channel subscribers.

Based on the proposal that only around 10 neutral venues will be used it is hard to see the season being completed with any form of true fairness. For eg will Newcaste have to travel away for every match? Same with Brighton.

The TV money is basically the issue behind most of this desire to finish the season. If the Tv money was less I have no doubts the season would already be over.

Will players have to play in masks for eg?

Starting to feel like the season won't finish or next season even begin in September.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

That’s a very poor comparison, if your holiday got cancelled, you got nothing for your money. So a full refund would be due.

If the season is not complete how can the TV companies claim they had nothing? If they do then surely they need to refund all sport channel subscribers.

If you order 3 loaves of bread from Asda  and they only deliver 1 you wouldn't expect to pay for the other 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Well not really ..... you are allowed to go to work if you can’t do your job at home.  I imagine footballers can argue that they they need to be in groups of 4/5, as long as they are socially distancing  - no tacking for the time being!   And not all players have full gyms/training facilities at home!   Some clubs have already re opened their training centres 

There are 22 players plus officials, coaches and medical staff all on or near a pitch. I'm sure nobody is doing jobs at the moment where this many people are grouping together and I can't see it being allowed in the near future - so why should it be allowed in football?

18 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

There are 22 players plus officials, coaches and medical staff all on or near a pitch. I'm sure nobody is doing jobs at the moment where this many people are grouping together and I can't see it being allowed in the near future - so why should it be allowed in football?

If everyone in the country was being tested every few days then we would be close to normal life ........but we can’t process 3 million tests per day ....... that’s the difference 

If it is canceled, which seems more likely by the day, would it be possible for the seasons positions to be honoured (for European qualification and relegation) except for Liverpool being crowned champions? 

My most favoured outcome is for the season to be cancelled, we quality for the Champions League... but Liverpool don’t get crowned Champions.

2 minutes ago, bmouth_fox said:

If it is canceled, which seems more likely by the day, would it be possible for the seasons positions to be honoured (for European qualification and relegation) except for Liverpool being crowned champions? 

My most favoured outcome is for the season to be cancelled, we quality for the Champions League... but Liverpool don’t get crowned Champions.

It is possible yes, if UEFA like they have already suggested, take the qualifiers based on 19/20 season performance. 

I'm not sure I can see the season being completed, tbh.

Surely if a player shows symptoms once the league has restarted, then the whole team will have to isolate for 14 days and won't be able to compete?

Open to massive abuse, imo, as if, say, a West Ham drops into the relegation zone then they can just say players are ill and they won't be able to complete the season...?

Is this really finishing the season or some totally different competition?

If training is resumed before social distancing rules are relaxed, BBC Sport understands players will be tested for coronavirus twice a week and would be screened for symptoms every day. All tests would be carried out by health professionals at a drive-through NHS testing facility that each club would have access to.

Training grounds will be optimised for social distancing and high hygiene levels.

In addition:

Players must arrive at training grounds in kit and wear masks at all times.
They must not shower or eat on the premises. If clubs want to provide players with food, it must be delivered as a takeaway to players' cars.
Only essential medical treatment would be allowed, with all medical staff in full PPE.
All meetings and reviews must take place virtually and off-site.

This will adversely affect clubs that rely on 'team spirit', clubs that have more home games left will lose out  - EG  Take a club like Brighton for example. Rather than playing Liverpool, Man City and Man Utd at home in the run-in, as scheduled, it would now have to face these top teams somewhere else. What if they then ended up being relegated by a point?

I'm leaning more towards some other solution like points per game rather than this which is more like a Dr Jekyll to Mr Hyde set up.

Sky and BT have seen subscriptions cancelled because of the lack of football/sport, I should imagine it's the same with rights holders across the world. Paying in full without finishing the season could see some of these broadcasters going bust. You might get paid this year, but what about next?