Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Surely no one believes that the premier league will vote to relegate any club?  The FA can attempt to impose a solution but I believe that unless 14 clubs vote for it, it won’t be passed.  The idea that PL owners will vote to relegate another PL club is a step too far ...... owners will know that they need to deal with these clubs in the future ...... imagine trying to buy a player in a couple of years from a club that you voted to relegate.  

it’s a mess ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Lots of players now starting to comment that they think playing is too risky. Players at clubs going for titles/promotion will probably keep quiet even if they are not keen on playing.

Friend....

I think it's over for this season's pl.  The testing burden... what happens when one club has one player who contracts c19.... will the squad isolate?  The pl should negotiate with amazon bt and sky and give them a deal on next years money... the hand the trophy to  lfc... and we can rib them forever. 

Poor liverpool... they didnt win a cup... and  I believe we have seen peek liverpool ...

and klopp will not stay long after the furlough fiasco

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Friend....

I think it's over for this season's pl.  The testing burden... what happens when one club has one player who contracts c19.... will the squad isolate?  The pl should negotiate with amazon bt and sky and give them a deal on next years money... the hand the trophy to  lfc... and we can rib them forever. 

Poor liverpool... they didnt win a cup... and  I believe we have seen peek liverpool ...

and klopp will not stay long after the furlough fiasco

They will not give the season up easily because of the money involved but I think you are right.

You would expect Sky to be understanding of the PLs situation.They have been partners since the beginning and have arguably made each other what they are today.They are a business though and they must surely be expecting a bumpy ride in the coming years.They now have Amazon hovering in the background

I understand players being concerned but anyone would think they were being sent out to the frontline of the NHS.

I’d wager that they will be more protected from the virus if the season resumes than if it didn’t. They’ll be tested 3 times a week within environments with strict social distancing and hygiene protocols. They’ll be shielded more than most.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If its too risky to play in June, its too risky to play any team sport until a vaccine is found. If so, many football clubs will be absolutely ****ed. 

And what happens if a vaccine isn't found, it's not  guaranteed. If, for arguments sake, this virus had escaped from a lab, maybe that lab was trying to develop a vaccine because of the known risks of corona virus outbreaks in China and maybe that vaccine was being developed to combat the sars virus. They could well have been in operation for nearly 20 years and still not been successful.  

47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If its too risky to play in June, its too risky to play any team sport until a vaccine is found. If so, many football clubs will be absolutely ****ed. 

Absolutely. If professional football matches aren’t played until there’s a vaccine - effectively it’s the end for most clubs.

6 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

And what happens if a vaccine isn't found, it's not guaranteed. If, for arguments sake, this virus had escaped from a lab, maybe that lab was trying to develop a vaccine because of the known risks of corona virus outbreaks in China and maybe that vaccine was being developed to combat the sars virus. They could well have been in operation for nearly 20 years and still not been successful.  

Then we revert back to plan A - gradual herd immunity without overwhelming the NHS. Which will take years, but probably less than 20 years.

If we do decide to go back to that strategy, I imagine football behind closed doors will be allowed to go ahead, as 100 or so people in the same place is nothing compared to the full house allowed for Cheltenham etc.

3 hours ago, fox in the sox said:

Lots of players now starting to comment that they think playing is too risky. Players at clubs going for titles/promotion will probably keep quiet even if they are not keen on playing.

So far in the UK, 140 people under 40 years old have died of coronavirus.  (About 4 per million.)  Nearly all of then had pre-existing health conditions.  Footballers are far more likely to die in their car going to the game than they are to die of coronavirus caught while playing it.

But let's be fair to footballers.  If they don't want to play, they needn't play,  They are eligible for furlough pay instead.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

So far in the UK, 140 people under 40 years old have died of coronavirus.  (About 4 per million.)  Nearly all of then had pre-existing health conditions.  Footballers are far more likely to die in their car going to the game than they are to die of coronavirus caught while playing it.

But let's be fair to footballers.  If they don't want to play, they needn't play,  They are eligible for furlough pay instead.

No one’s going to take the chance of contracting Covid-19 because they are unlikely to die from it. You wouldn’t either (I hope).

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

A lot of footballers have a family and won't be willing to risk their loved ones' health just so we have something to watch.  Not having any footy sucks but it's by no means an essential service.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

A lot of footballers have a family and won't be willing to risk their loved ones' health just so we have something to watch.  Not having any footy sucks but it's by no means an essential service.

Will these same footballers be willing to forego 3 or 4 months wages? It would seem only right that they aren't paid - especially when they don't wish to play - otherwise it would only be the owners who have to foot the entire bill. If the TV companies don't pay in full (which would seem a likely course of action) there is no way some of the teams will survive if they have to pay footballers millions for refusing to play or simply not playing.

I think that every member of full-time footballing staff should be paid the same wage for the final fifth of the season if the players choose not to play.

I just can’t see this return to football working - hope it does but I can’t see it.

Award Liverpool the title - if there is a CL and European Cup use number of points per game average to top 4-6 teams.

Dont relegate. Bring up two teams from the auto spots and sod off the playoff competition. 

Do the same with the below leagues.

Start the season two weeks early if possible due to more games.

At the end of next season relegate 5 teams, promote 3 and go back to normal then.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

You would expect Sky to be understanding of the PLs situation.They have been partners since the beginning and have arguably made each other what they are today.They are a business though and they must surely be expecting a bumpy ride in the coming years.They now have Amazon hovering in the background

I’m not sure that sky are the biggest concern ..... i imagine many of the international broadcasters will show little loyalty ......

7 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

But let's be fair to footballers.  If they don't want to play, they needn't play,  They are eligible for furlough pay 

I have seen some articles that reference top level athletes potentially being at higher risk re lung issues due to CV?

33 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Footballers are used to going away for four weeks in June - if it’s five or six then so be it. Top level Cricketers have to put up with worse.  

19 minutes ago, FIF said:

Will these same footballers be willing to forego 3 or 4 months wages? It would seem only right that they aren't paid - especially when they don't wish to play - otherwise it would only be the owners who have to foot the entire bill. If the TV companies don't pay in full (which would seem a likely course of action) there is no way some of the teams will survive if they have to pay footballers millions for refusing to play or simply not playing.

I think that every member of full-time footballing staff should be paid the same wage for the final fifth of the season if the players choose not to play.

blimey - I find myself almost agreeing with you! 

1 hour ago, FIF said:

This is the problem, isn't it?  Too much money promised to too many people involved and nobody thinks they should be the party to lose out over an event beyond their control.

44 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Footballers are used to going away for four weeks in June - if it’s five or six then so be it. Top level Cricketers have to put up with worse.  

I'm talking more about their concerns related to potentially carrying the virus back to their families, not being homesick.

Guest ttfn
6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is the problem, isn't it?  Too much money promised to too many people involved and nobody thinks they should be the party to lose out over an event beyond their control.

I'm talking more about their concerns related to potentially carrying the virus back to their families, not being homesick.

Surely they’re less likely than anybody else to carry the virus back home to their families? They’ve probably got more chance of picking it up on the weekly shop than they do in 6 weeks of living in a bubble where they and their mates get tested every 48 hours.

2 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Surely they’re less likely than anybody else to carry the virus back home to their families? They’ve probably got more chance of picking it up on the weekly shop than they do in 6 weeks of living in a bubble where they and their mates get tested every 48 hours.

Is that the official line?  I didn't realise concrete plans had been released.

1 hour ago, Swan Lesta said:

I just can’t see this return to football working - hope it does but I can’t see it.

Award Liverpool the title - if there is a CL and European Cup use number of points per game average to top 4-6 teams.

Dont relegate. Bring up two teams from the auto spots and sod off the playoff competition. 

Do the same with the below leagues.

Start the season two weeks early if possible due to more games.

At the end of next season relegate 5 teams, promote 3 and go back to normal then.

My issue is though, why will football be any safer to play in late July (2 weeks early start for 2020/21) than it will be in June if the authorities decide it's ok to resume? I think many people are thinking/hoping it'll all be sound next season when if it is then the decision to cancel a nearly finished season and the chaos that causes teams fighting promotion/relegation/titles/Europe etc is mad. There is a obviously a risk that until there's a vaccine that the virus can and will continue to spread unless we all stay at home and let the economy completely eradicate the whole country and world and it wipes out more people in the long run indirectly. Sport isn't by any means an essential service like food and convenience but there's also thousands and thousands of people who are affiliated with sport that cannot work if it's suspended indefinitely and these are the ones who tend not to have a few million in the bank or more to tie them over. Sport is essential to many people's health and well being both physically and mentally (both playing and watching) and although I don't want to come across as careless, if professional team sport is unable to continue for 12-18 months then I think that's either a bad decision or the world really will be on it's knees and the knock on effect is going to be horrific.

26 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

I just cannot see a load of teams staying together ending well..

If that is what happens to get the season finished then fair enough but you are going to need a lot of cooperation and good will.