Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

14 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...strange, the way you have written this, with your stipulated location!!!!

Haha, strange things happen in Foxile 😉 thanks I'll change that.

Also forgot to note, London to Perth has direct flights. So logistics are easy. Plus it takes away the problem of policing neutral venues in UK. We do have a few scousers here though, and they were already starting to become unbearable

• Haha 1

I can’t be the only one thinking the objection to neutral grounds is a tad embarrassing. It’s no coincidence that it’s the he clubs that wouldn’t want the season to go on that are making noise. 

There is is absolutely no advantage to anyone at a neutral ground, it’s just the best football played. They train without fans every day, it’s purely just an excuse. 

If a club was saying it doesn’t agree with it because of safety, you’d understand but  blaming a neutral venue is just ridiculous. In fact this is twice as bad, as it’s actually the clubs saying that there minor advantage they might have playing at home is more important then the health of the citizens of this country! 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I can’t be the only one thinking the objection to neutral grounds is a tad embarrassing. It’s no coincidence that it’s the he clubs that wouldn’t want the season to go on that are making noise. 

There is is absolutely no advantage to anyone at a neutral ground, it’s just the best football played. They train without fans every day, it’s purely just an excuse. 

If a club was saying it doesn’t agree with it because of safety, you’d understand but  blaming a neutral venue is just ridiculous. In fact this is twice as bad, as it’s actually the clubs saying that there minor advantage they might have playing at home is more important then the health of the citizens of this country! 

Obviously what Brighton are not saying is that they don't want to go down so they will make any objection, however fatuous.

What Brighton are saying is that when they play Liverpool at an empty Amex, they have a much better chance of getting points than if they play on a neutral ground; and when they play Norwich at a netral ground, the increased chance they have in points from that game is less than the increased chance of beating Liverpool.  Which, as I said, is fatuous.  But if only 7 teams need to vote against to make play impossible, the 6 threatened with relegation need only find 1 supporter and they can abandon the season.

I suspect that next season, their objections will somehow disappear.  Or at least, if they play at neutral grounds for half a season, then they would refuse to play at the Amex for the second half with full crowds for the same reason - no sporting integrity of the competition.  Or perhaps not!

Edited by dsr-burnley

18 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Obviously what Brighton are not saying is that they don't want to go down so they will make any objection, however fatuous.

What Brighton are saying is that when they play Liverpool at an empty Amex, they have a much better chance of getting points than if they play on a neutral ground; and when they play Norwich at a netral ground, the increased chance they have in points from that game is less than the increased chance of beating Liverpool.  Which, as I said, is fatuous.  But if only 7 teams need to vote against to make play impossible, the 6 threatened with relegation need only find 1 supporter and they can abandon the season.

I suspect that next season, their objections will somehow disappear.  Or at least, if they play at neutral grounds for half a season, then they would refuse to play at the Amex for the second half with full crowds for the same reason - no sporting integrity of the competition.  Or perhaps not!

for me, I’d rather play out the season and do it right, than just be given the positions as they stand. 

Voiding the whole thing just seems immoral, you can’t undo the hard work people have put in. imagine accidentally deleting a fm save this far in, I don’t think many would be motivated to start again with the same team. 

But it I also feel the same about when a game is postponed due to weather or anything else. Never really got why they start the game back on level terms 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Agreed why should it matter where the games are played if there are no fans. Home advantage is out the window. it was Brighton moaning in the article I read. They have 5 home, 4 away games left hardly a huge disadvantage anyway.

13 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Agreed why should it matter where the games are played if there are no fans. Home advantage is out the window. it was Brighton moaning in the article I read. They have 5 home, 4 away games left hardly a huge disadvantage anyway.

The only trouble is ... teams are relegated on the finest of margins.

After 38 games, equal points, but one goal worse would do it.

So 5 home v 4 away games is not necessarily nothing.  It's potentially everything.

We all know that this is an imperfect situation. No solution is going to mimic what we had.  the first question we must answer is, irrelevant of whether we finish the season or not, are we going to have relegation? If the answer is no, then there is no point in carrying on the pretence and finishing the campaign is simply about securing the tv money in an environment which will be like pre season friendly comps .....

I suspect there won’t be any relegation and quite honestly, that makes a mockery of completing the season. Other countries have titles at stake and that’s what will keep interest going in their completion. We dot have that. 

If it can't be agreed or not possible to finish then leagues should be classed as incomplete, therefore no promotion or relegation throughout the league's. Prize money given for current standings and we go again next season with same teams in every league. Leeds and West Brom and other teams in promotion places will kick off but surely they don't have a leg to stand on legally because they haven't achieved promotion? It will just go down as an unfortunate set of circumstances. 

League can vote to award Liverpool title if you want. Leaves us open to be screwed out of Europe, if there even is a competition next season, but I'd hope they award qualification on current standings. 

10 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Well according to Sky all games next season might be behind closed doors so might have to get use to it!

Exactly so playing the games now at their proper venues will give the clubs the chance to set up secure and safe procedures.

As for fans turning up they'll have to sort it for next season so organise it now. Pay for some security, I'm sure those companies will love the chance to work and ban, publicly shame and fine any twats who wont take no for an answer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Burnley could well be one of the interesting votes, along with Palace- you aren't going to go down, probably won't get into Europe so the main factor will be the broadcast revenues and whether you can afford to not play and pay them back, or have to play to keep it.

The sporting integrity argument is nonsense- as has been said, we may well be behind closed doors all season or we could be allowed back in during the campaign, distorting the games where fans can and cannot attend.

There is no ideal solution to all this but I think dismissing the idea of neutral venues because it might affect you is ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Article of sky sports saying the entirety of next campaign could well be behind closed doors.

I think it could well be, as the last things to open after lockdown to the public should be cinemas, nightclubs and sporting events, to limit the spread of the virus. 

Whilst things will hopefully go back to normal, this will and probably should be the last things to reopen to the public. 

4 minutes ago, Corky said:

But if players aren't keen to play at the moment, why would September/ October be any better?

If we're waiting on a vaccine, we won't be playing for a long time.

So, basically we've got to wait for a little pr1ck?

Anyone know Dennis Wise's phone number?

Edited by weller54
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

The only trouble is ... teams are relegated on the finest of margins.

After 38 games, equal points, but one goal worse would do it.

So 5 home v 4 away games is not necessarily nothing.  It's potentially everything.

Agreed but it seems like what ever they do now will upset a club/s. For instance if we call it now or add up points per games. The bottom 3 can rightly say we had every chance of staying up in those 9 games. If we void the season wba and Leeds can rightly say we were going up and are now missing out on the premier league riches.

If we promote championship clubs without relegating how can Leicester and Liverpool etc expect to compete with German/italian/Spanish sides in europe when we are playing in some cases 10 league games more than them. Same with England in the euros the Germans and Italians etc will be a lot fresher.

Brighton having a home game in an empty stadium turn into a neutral game in an empty stadium when they have 9 games left seems like the easiest option in my opinion.

Clubs below the Championship won’t survive the whole of next season without fans. They will be planning for it of course, just in case, but I’d be surprised if clubs don’t find some way to have paying fans through the door.

The Deputy Chief Medical Officer said yesterday that the spread of the virus is significantly lower outdoors and the main issue with outdoor events is the public transport and pubs that people may visit before or after. Public transport and pubs will have to have their own restrictions and measures in place to deal with crowds, not just football fans.

They will find a way, rightly or wrongly, just like they are finding a way to finish the season.

Edited by Ricey

We've got an FA Cup quarter-final to play plus our final two home games were against sides close to us. I know our atmosphere is crap at times but I think our players would rather have 85k of our fans in the ground than not.

We're all disadvantaged by it.

3 hours ago, Corky said:

Burnley could well be one of the interesting votes, along with Palace- you aren't going to go down, probably won't get into Europe so the main factor will be the broadcast revenues and whether you can afford to not play and pay them back, or have to play to keep it.

The sporting integrity argument is nonsense- as has been said, we may well be behind closed doors all season or we could be allowed back in during the campaign, distorting the games where fans can and cannot attend.

There is no ideal solution to all this but I think dismissing the idea of neutral venues because it might affect you is ridiculous.

Burnley will vote in favour of continuing.  We can afford to pay back £30m for this back end, because the club had £41m in the bank at June 2019 and would have made another profit this season up to March, at any rate.  But as the Chairman pointed out, no play until August with the uncertainty carrying on then would cost the club £50m and then we would potentially be in trouble.  

In the past, I know the advantage of having an owner with £6 billion has been played down on here and that money doesn't make all that much difference - cue the standing joke about "many pound notes" which Sean Dyche does occasionally mention.  But when your owner has "only" £80m, it doesn't leave a very deep pocket to support the club in a crisis.  Fortunately they have spent years building up a reserve just in case, but it's still only a few months' reserve - it won't last forever.

Edited by dsr-burnley