Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

21 minutes ago, Bert said:

Will be interesting to see how teams would’ve fared if it was settled on PPG to how they will when playing 38 games. 

Besides the neutral grounds issue, The Athletic reported that yesterday’s PL meeting included

a preliminary conversation about what Masters described as “curtailment” — the scenario if Project Restart never gets off the drawing board.

It is understood the least unpopular adaption is expected to be a choice between points per game (PPG) and weighted PPG, which recognises the fact teams are more likely to win points at home than away. This is done by working out each side’s PPG for fixtures at home and those away, then multiplying those two numbers by 19 and adding them together for a 38-game total.

They included a table showing how the PL would end up.  The only change to the CL, EL or relegation spots is that West Ham would be sent down.  :thumbup:

469017289_WeightedPPG.thumb.JPG.d95bdefa2f5232bf3d5c1d7fec1c98a4.JPG

So console yourselves … even if the worst happens (God forbid and all), there could be a silver lining.

10 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Like I have mentioned...The individual National FAs & clubs,should tell UEFA,where they can Stick it...Fans and the clubs,help to pay for 'their' exsistance,Not the otherway around..!!   Ditto for FiFA,if they put our scurulous demands..!!!

Completely agree.I don’t think they see it that way though.UEFA are actually more important than God,the Queen and President Trump after all.In fact the only thing more important on earth is FIFA and the only thing more important than them is the IOC.

Seriously though I can see some major collisions ahead and very bruised egos in the process.Any talk of shifting the world and European football calendar to suit the situation will be met with bitter resistance.

54 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Besides the neutral grounds issue, The Athletic reported that yesterday’s PL meeting included

a preliminary conversation about what Masters described as “curtailment” — the scenario if Project Restart never gets off the drawing board.

It is understood the least unpopular adaption is expected to be a choice between points per game (PPG) and weighted PPG, which recognises the fact teams are more likely to win points at home than away. This is done by working out each side’s PPG for fixtures at home and those away, then multiplying those two numbers by 19 and adding them together for a 38-game total.

They included a table showing how the PL would end up.  The only change to the CL, EL or relegation spots is that West Ham would be sent down.  :thumbup:

469017289_WeightedPPG.thumb.JPG.d95bdefa2f5232bf3d5c1d7fec1c98a4.JPG

So console yourselves … even if the worst happens (God forbid and all), there could be a silver lining.

I would happily take this tbh. 

Only reason I want us to finish the season is just incase a cancellation meant no CL place so I want us to get over the line.

That table would give us that and see Villa and West Ham down lol

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

What about the avoidable deaths of many millions, yes millions due to the poverty, mental health and suicides caused by the lockdown?

The destruction of the economy, peoples ways of life, life styles, quality of life will be damaging long beyond this virus.

Although any death is bad, I am willing to bet there will be a lot more than 1% of confirmed cases ending in death as a result of lock down policies and the effects will last for decades. We can not underestimate the economic damage this is doing and the long term impact that will have.

We need to face reality, this lockdown is more damaging to the young and healthy than the virus in most cases. Absolutely we must protect the vulnerable, but we must get back to some form of normal life for the majority as soon as possible.

Bringing back football in a controlled way is part of that.

All problems that would be resolved if football restarts ASAP? :blink:

While at it, why don't we reopen the schools and ship these kids off? Please quit making churlish strawman arguments. Restarting football when it is safe and sensible to do so does not exclude re-opening different segments of society or the economy when each is deemed sensible to do so. Football is not the anchor of the global or national economy.

• Like 1

Having given little thought to my idea. Could they use the isle of wight as the location. Ensure the whole island is tested to ensure no new cases. Then they could train and complete the league within 30 days. I'm sure there are multiple grounds on the island. Neutral venue you could even have some fans attend. 

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, los dedos said:

There are a few here who still see Football supporters as a lower based lifeform.

btw Amiens have started legal proceedings in France against their relegation. I think they were 4 points off safety with 10 games to play. IMO French govt. and the French football league have messed this one up.

3 hours ago, NaijaFox said:

All problems that would be resolved if football restarts ASAP? :blink:

While at it, why don't we reopen the schools and ship these kids off? Please quit making churlish strawman arguments. Restarting football when it is safe and sensible to do so does not exclude re-opening different segments of society or the economy when each is deemed sensible to do so. Football is not the anchor of the global or national economy.

When have I ever said that?:blink: Football is however part of a bigger return to normality. 

You seem to be the only one strawmaning here!lol

This is a thread about football too.

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
What would  happen if they started the season but then had to stop again for some reason?

Positions may have changed .. would teams have to just accept that or will we see more disputes and threats ?

I imagine they'll be hoping to do the next 2 or 3 games as a bare minimum and hope Liverpool have gotten over the line in that time, which would take some of the pressure off. Even though promotion and relegation might be a more likely source of litigation and that certainly wont be completely sorted with just a couple more games.

7 minutes ago, Super_horns said:
What would  happen if they started the season but then had to stop again for some reason?

Positions may have changed .. would teams have to just accept that or will we see more disputes and threats ?

Keep up - we had this the other day ?   But that was with neutral venues ... If clubs can play at home grounds then there is no reason why whenever the season has to end, it’s declared over and valid .....

• Like 1

If the league starts up again, it has to be finished, whenever that may be. Or it is cancelled with no promotion or relegation. You can't say we can't relegate teams as it is now but then in two weeks time say we can relegate the current standings. I saw Lee Bowyer made a point about Charlton currently in the championship, currently in the bottom 3 having dropped in for the first time this season just before the lockdown. I don't see how it's fair to relegate them when they would have had plenty of time to get back out. 

• Like 4

I still dont really understand, and no one really seems to answer.

Those that want to end the season, when do you foresee football restarting again? If ever?

2021, 2022?

It delusional to think we scrap this season, then successfully start and complete next season with the winter and a probable second peak it the middle.

If you are saying wait until 'safe' whatever that is, it probably means waiting until after a vaccine which is at least 12 to 18 months off. In that case you have accept most clubs will be gone.

This whole theory of restarting when it is 'safe' is a  it of a hyperbolic smokescreen. We are ignoring the simple basic facts that less than 1% testing positive under 45s are dying, how many are killed on the roads each day? What is the chance of a footballer falling a breaking his neck? Nothing is ever 100% 'safe' unless you lock and cocoon yourself for your entire life - and what quality of life is that? Ok so we are 'safe' now but how screwed up the world is going to be when we are allowed out, and our lives will be so dramatically changed will life be enjoyable?

We have to gain some perspective here. Hiding away fit healthy people and curtailing enjoyable activities is doing no good for the long term health and wellbeing of the nation. It's an absolute travesty and a future disaster.

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 2

Fit healthy people shouldn't be hiding and curtailing exercise ..

They have been able to do  run or cycle all the time.

Maybe not the same as going to a gym or swimming pool but certainly as you say those with limited risk shouldn't feel that they had to stay indoors unable to step outside.

It's the vulnerable family members or friends they shouldn't meet.

As for the season - no we  cannot  wait for something that might never happen.

Edited by Super_horns
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Fit healthy people shouldn't be hiding and curtailing exercise ..

They have been able to do  run or cycle all the time.

Maybe not the same as going to a gym or swimming pool but certainly as you say those with limited risk shouldn't feel that they had to stay indoors unable to step outside.

It's the vulnerable family members or friends they shouldn't meet.

As for the season - no we  cannot  wait for something that might never happen.

Agree...that's the key thing here at what all the evidence suggests.

The vulnerable should be protected, sadly that means we can not sensibly see elderly and long term ill members of our family as we may wish to, for the foreseeable future.

Allowing the mixing of younger healthy people, stopping work and ways of life in my view is rather counter productive and much more damaging to that group, possibly losing some aspects and quality of life forever as a result.

We are in a situation now due to misinformation that young healthy people are running scared when there is little evidence to suggest that age group should be.

The shield around the vulnerable must continue for quite some time to protect them. We should do whatever is necessary to protect and provide for that group. We can not all live like that indefinitely, it's too costly both socially and economically.

Bringing football back as soon as possible is the right thing to do. It's as safe now for these young men as it has ever been or will ever be with all the tests and precautions in place.

I wonder globally how many professional athletes have caught the virus and died? Obviously any players with preexisting concerns need to be shielded. 

At the end of the day if players dont go back, they really should all be on the furlough scheme or equivalent until the 2021/22 season possibly starts - that's the earliest potential post vaccine. Nothing else with no football results in the financial viability of clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Certainly they would have to ensure all teams have played the same number of games.

No situation is ideal hence the need to end the season which all teams seem to agree on.

It is why points per game, is the fairest method if season can’t be completed 

2 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

I'd prefer the season to be scrapped, I understand points per game but it still doesn't seem fair especially when no team has either won a league, got promoted or been relegated.

Liverpool have 99.999% won the PL.. you wouldn't be suggesting a cancellation if this had happened in March 2016?

• Like 1

If some one can come up with a formula that somehow relegates - Spurs, Arsenal and Aston Villa,  I would be happy with that.    

• Like 2