Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

League Suspended.

Only very personally speaking I know, I can't say that I'm actually that bothered in football at the moment, there's more important things for me to bother about. Cancelling this season and confirming people as Champions or more controversially perhaps, relegating teams, which would have huge financial consequences, is at best problematic and has been discussed to death with no real satisfactory conclusion either by the footballing authorities or even on here.

For me, I'd take the opposite approach, I'd cancel next season in advance. As it's likely to take until September/October, if at all, to let crowds back into stadiums, I'd therefore keep this current season in suspension until we are able to continue it. If for example it does then progress come the autumn and the 'season' finishes a few weeks early in 2021, so be it. Players and fans first and foremost will have been protected, there could be no dispute about final league positions and as for financial consequences,  well whatever is done, that's going to occur in any case whatever you do.

In real life our government is not going to be able to continue paying people to stay at home whether we like it or not and therefore people will have to go back to work. Wherever possible, that will be with whatever safety provisions can be provided. If they can't be provided then very sadly, those business will potentially go bust and thousands will be made unemployed. 

Footballers are no exception, if they can't do their job, then effectively they should not have anymore protection than the rest of us and most clubs can't afford to keep paying multimillion pound wages with no revenue coming in. Yet, footballers are hardly in the same situation as an individual with a family who makes a living from working in the hospitality sector for example. For the sake of the common good, I think some of our footballers are going to have to bite the bullet and accept huge pay reductions if this goes on much longer or legally, perhaps they could refuse and actually bankrupt clubs. I don't pretend to know the answer to those problems. What's fair or not may soon cease to exist, things might just happen and you just have to lump it, get on with it and survive. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Only very personally speaking I know, I can't say that I'm actually that bothered in football at the moment, there's more important things for me to bother about. Cancelling this season and confirming people as Champions or more controversially perhaps, relegating teams, which would have huge financial consequences, is at best problematic and has been discussed to death with no real satisfactory conclusion either by the footballing authorities or even on here.

For me, I'd take the opposite approach, I'd cancel next season in advance. As it's likely to take until September/October, if at all, to let crowds back into stadiums, I'd therefore keep this current season in suspension until we are able to continue it. If for example it does then progress come the autumn and the 'season' finishes a few weeks early in 2021, so be it. Players and fans first and foremost will have been protected, there could be no dispute about final league positions and as for financial consequences,  well whatever is done, that's going to occur in any case whatever you do.

In real life our government is not going to be able to continue paying people to stay at home whether we like it or not and therefore people will have to go back to work. Wherever possible, that will be with whatever safety provisions can be provided. If they can't be provided then very sadly, those business will potentially go bust and thousands will be made unemployed. 

Footballers are no exception, if they can't do their job, then effectively they should not have anymore protection than the rest of us and most clubs can't afford to keep paying multimillion pound wages with no revenue coming in. Yet, footballers are hardly in the same situation as an individual with a family who makes a living from working in the hospitality sector for example. For the sake of the common good, I think some of our footballers are going to have to bite the bullet and accept huge pay reductions if this goes on much longer or legally, perhaps they could refuse and actually bankrupt clubs. I don't pretend to know the answer to those problems. What's fair or not may soon cease to exist, things might just happen and you just have to lump it, get on with it and survive. 

But why will it be any safer to resume in 4-5 months time than it will be in the next month or so? Other countries have shown that the balancing act of trying to resume some form of normality to protect the long term future of humanity can be done without a devastating impact to infection rates again. I know as a country we seem to be complete prats right now but surely we can do it too? 

Also, UEFA are still intending to go ahead with European football next season so how would we sort that if the current season is still not resumed?

• Like 1

If/when this PL season does restart, I would hope that the fixtures for the four teams with a game in hand are the first two matches played to bring all teams level on games played.

Thereafter all the remaining rounds of fixtures would be spread equally and played as close to each other as possible (two day windows). This would hopefully even things out just in case there was the need for a curtailment of the season before full completion and existing/current table placings can be used to conclude the season.

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

But why will it be any safer to resume in 4-5 months time than it will be in the next month or so? Other countries have shown that the balancing act of trying to resume some form of normality to protect the long term future of humanity can be done without a devastating impact to infection rates again. I know as a country we seem to be complete prats right now but surely we can do it too? 

Also, UEFA are still intending to go ahead with European football next season so how would we sort that if the current season is still not resumed?

We just don't know do we in fairness as you say but,h what we do know is that it isn't safe at the moment. I therefore think that if a decision has to be made now, then it's better to defer it and that way nobody, after the completion and hard work of the better part of a season, won't effectively get punished. In comparison, next season, even if cancelled, won't have the same financial implications on teams that otherwise perhaps would get relegated, not win a title or get into Europe even. Your right in saying that things could be right in two months or 4 months. Therefore there would need to be a deadline, a rough example being that if we can't start the remainder of the season by X date, then we'll cancel the forthcoming season in favour of the current one which will start when practicable. 

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Exactly. If we wait for the perfect moment, it could be a very long wait.

• Like 1

At some point a meeting will also need to clarify  & agree that as soon as the government gives the go ahead for sports stadiums to reopen at capacity that fans will be allowed back on the next sensible weekend thereafter. Although I’ve written off attending any games for 2020/21(if you assume no vaccine and another spike in  the winter of a mixture of COVID and normal flu), there might  be a chance of attending in the spring of 2021. Some clubs might protest that the whole season should be behind close doors as not to give any advantage, may sound peculiar to complain but let’s cover all angles.

Seeing some keyworks on social media questing how its possible footballers are catching this yet they have been on the frontline for the last 2/3 months and not caught it, and presuming they must be breaking lockdown rules. **** me I need a break from the internet

Same people also failing to understand that footballers also go food shopping, recommending instead that they send their "PA" to do it for them

Edited by Walkers
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Deeney returning to training after being reassured by the Government about the safety of players.

( Some might be more cynical!!)

I've always admired Troy. Love his style of play, his character and his loyalty was gutted we didn't sign him on the couple of occasions we were in for him. But he's really let himself down in the last couple of weeks.

To stand down after all that is borderline disgraceful.   

10 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I've always admired Troy. Love his style of play, his character and his loyalty was gutted we didn't sign him on the couple of occasions we were in for him. But he's really let himself down in the last couple of weeks.

You think he should have just stuck with his orginal decision to stay away or not made a fuss in the first place ?

I suspect he was hoping others would follow but they never did so he was kind of on his own.

Even some of our other players said they felt safe etc.

Edited by Super_horns

14 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

You think he should have just stuck with his orginal decision to stay away or not made a fuss in the first place ?

I suspect he was hoping others would follow but they never did so he was kind of on his own.

I think he’s just earnt a legendary Pearson headbutt. Fair play, he didn’t even have to do his daughter 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

A little bit of both. It annoyed me when him, rose, Pearson etc kicked off in the first place claiming they were being treated like "lab rats" or "what if there is a fatality?" (Like there hasn't already been 10s of thousands of deaths!) I found it particularly disrespectful to people in other professions nurses etc where people have lost their lives due to exposure at work without the testing and medical support and safe monitored environments footballers will obviously get. 

But then I started to see their point of view particularly Deeny with his child and Kante with his heart. And I did think we'll if he's prepared to sacrifice playing in relegation dog fight it must really matter to him. So for him to go back on it now makes the whole thing seem opurtunistic. But hey there's worse things in the world to be getting upset about I still hope you stay up due to sir Nigel Pearson! 

• Like 1

If players start getting covid thats harsh on their respective teams if they have to play without them. Sure,  it could be an "injury" but it's not is it?

To me if a player is out due to covid, the game doesnt go on until the player is back healthy. Physical injuries is a different story as is the common flu.

Imagine 3 or 4 of your starters contracted covid, is it fair for the team to play without them for 2 to 3 games as they isolate for 2 plus weeks?

8 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

I don’t think the full story has been reported by the media. Deeney asked the SAGE scientists on a conference call for assurances regards BAME persons and CV19, they admit they were not in a position to do that. 

Two weeks on with more data and research, the SAGE scientists were able to prove patterns and give assurances. 

All Deeney wanted was that. It wasn’t an all out action against a return

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

If players start getting covid thats harsh on their respective teams if they have to play without them. Sure,  it could be an "injury" but it's not is it?

To me if a player is out due to covid, the game doesnt go on until the player is back healthy. Physical injuries is a different story as is the common flu.

Imagine 3 or 4 of your starters contracted covid, is it fair for the team to play without them for 2 to 3 games as they isolate for 2 plus weeks?

If a few players get a stomach bug then a game still goes ahead ......I would think that if squad has more than a certain number unavailable due to CV  then there is a bigger problem for the completion of the season ....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I don’t think the full story has been reported by the media. Deeney asked the SAGE scientists on a conference call for assurances regards BAME persons and CV19, they admit they were not in a position to do that. 

Two weeks on with more data and research, the SAGE scientists were able to prove patterns and give assurances. 

All Deeney wanted was that. It wasn’t an all out action against a return

Fair enough, obviously the reporting on this and in general has been on the hysterical side lately!

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 1