Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Philippe Coutinho to Leicester whispers

Not that we were ever likely to sign him anyway, but Setién is making noises about wanting to bring Coutinho back to Barca and use him as a #10-type.  Could just be a gambit to drive the transfer price up, of course.

9 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I can agree with that, but am just saying that there are a lot of difficulties associated with fitting him in without detriment to the rest of the team. I would like to point out that the previous team Rodgers managed with Coutinho in it had a lot of defensive issues (which was papered over by the best ever season of one of the strikers of this decade). Even if obviously they weren't all down to Coutinho, it is somewhat telling that they disappeared with his departure (again, this can be attributed to van Dijk instead of Coutinho's absence, but I think it's disingenuous not to take into account how the team's defensive shape changed with Coutinho's departure).

Yeah very good points. Fitting an extra player who plays right up the pitch is always going to leave gaps further back. 

I suppose it’s a question of, could Rodgers fit him in and keep us solid? 

Wasn’t disagreeing originally btw, just looking at what the options were. If we could somehow get him to the club, I’d definitely take him. For me it’s the one area we need to improve on. 

I can’t see us upgrading any of the defensive roles (Chilwell at a push). Central midfield is sound. Vardy and Iheanacho are looking good. Barnes I wouldn’t drop. Then do you gamble Perez work-rate for a luxury winger/10? 

I know we’ll need rotation but surely Coutinho isn’t going to be coming here to be rotated. 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 17:11, st albans fox said:

Do you seriously expect us to challenge for the title ?  We are a fair way off that (especially with a CL campaign).  By the way, his wages add considerably to that 12m per season .......

I meant challenging in January as in we still had a chance in January (rather than falling away in December, we last a bit longer).

As unlikely as this one was why does it always seem Brendan’s playing down our buying power quite a lot? Saw him say the other day we’d always struggle to keep hold of our players, might just be me but seems an odd way to talk about the club considering we’re in such a good position.

31 minutes ago, Yes said:

As unlikely as this one was why does it always seem Brendan’s playing down our buying power quite a lot? Saw him say the other day we’d always struggle to keep hold of our players, might just be me but seems an odd way to talk about the club considering we’re in such a good position.

He’s Just saying it as it is.We can’t compete with the big spenders.He’s always tried to explain that to the fan base.

1 minute ago, Heathrow fox said:

He’s Just saying it as it is.We can’t compete with the big spenders.He’s always tried to explain that to the fan base.

To an extent of course but we dropped £30m on Ayoze Perez it’s not like we’re broke.

44 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Was Rodgers behind the Perez transfer? Or was it already in the pipeline?

...I can't imagine that we would have had him on our radar,as he did not fit the criteria of what we were developing.

We have paid way over the odds for a player so uncomfortable in the position we have asked him to play.

Centrally upfront seems to be where he is most effective but due to the quality we have in this position and potential CL we need a squad and the reason for keeping him.

For me where we fall down is in centre midfield with a general in place. We have experience in defence in attack but lacking that experienced player who can command the team and who leads by example.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I can't imagine that we would have had him on our radar,as he did not fit the criteria of what we were developing.

We have paid way over the odds for a player so uncomfortable in the position we have asked him to play.

Centrally upfront seems to be where he is most effective but due to the quality we have in this position and potential CL we need a squad and the reason for keeping him.

For me where we fall down is in centre midfield with a general in place. We have experience in defence in attack but lacking that experienced player who can command the team and who leads by example.

Agreed. We need a Milner, Barry, Parker type. Not necessarily fast but does the hard work and can watch the game. 

My jaw dropped when we signed Perez for the amount we did. Newcastle rinsed us

• Like 2