Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

9 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

My big issue, as others have pointed out, is that if we get a ridiculous fee for him then prices go up elsewhere and we get shafted. It's not like the Maguire situation where we had a replacement ready to go. I just don't want us to be caught with our pants down.

Ideally, we'd put out word of what we're willing to accept, talk to the player and let him know that these are our terms for him going. If nobody meets them then he doesn't go. Be upfront about it and no messing around. It gives us a chance to get a feel for the market because I can't see Chelsea (or anyone else) coming to us with £80+ million straight away. Might buy us some time to get things moving on a replacement/ backup and, if we're lucky, we can get a deal moving before it all kicks off.

Lastly - I do think that the way we handled Mahrez and Maguire puts us in very good stead. Clubs now now that we expect big money for our players and are willing to wait for it to come. 

Normally we have JJ ready to go but he will be covering Ricardo instead, thats the issue.  But even then we have Fuchs until JJ can move back there.

I would rather we keep all of our first team, but I do think like the recent summers we will sell one, especially as how hard KP has been impacted by the virus.

1 hour ago, Hales said:

I may be wrong but they all get on the coach and travel back together and have a recovery session the next day? Im sure he wouldnt be allowed to just miss those for a night out! Not sure Brendan would go for that at all. I dont think its helpful to speculate and spread gossip about people unless you know them personally? I still can't get my head round selling a regular first team player to a close rival and potential CL rival too. Thats bad business. I think given the market we need to get rid of fringe players and try and keep the first team squad together if possible. If the player wants to go thats a different matter but he doesnt seem like someone that would cause issues. I think given Ricardo's injury and maybe him needing a gentler introduction back next season, JJ will be needed for that cover.  I just think we should keep for another season at least?

Gossip has been spread on here about other players, to be fair.

In regards to Chilwell wanting to leave, my opinion is he wants to go.

I have no facts to back it up, but here is the basis of the opinion.

1 - He is a first choice england player, the england squad is where lots of tapping up occurs, name me the last lcfc player that was a england player that didnt move away "and" wasnt linked with a move away, whilst playing for england.  Maguire left, Vardy almost went to Arsenal, Drinkwater left,

Linekar was with us for 6 seasons, then broke into England, within a year he left.

Shilton also left us whilst playing for England, although only to stoke.

Heskey broke into england in 1999, left us for Liverpool in 2000

There may be the odd one, but it seems the majority of our england capped players in recent times have gone on to leave not long after playing for england.  So I think this point is quite valid based on history. There is a reason I dont like our players playing for England :)

2 - The link to man city, this was apparently a done deal cancelled very late on.  Entirely possible just rumours only, the press do make stuff up, but there is posters on here who claim it was a thing, so I dont know.  Apparently he was also upset for a while it didnt happen and it was used as a reason to explain dropped performances.

3 - fuchs been dropped for chilwell whilst fuchs was performing very well, around the time this happened chilwell was been linked to liverpool, my speculation is we persuaded chilwell to stay by guaranteeing first team football.

Edited by Chrysalis

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Gossip has been spread on here about other players, to be fair.

In regards to Chilwell wanting to leave, my opinion is he wants to go.

I have no facts to back it up, but here is the basis of the opinion.

Everything wrong with the modern world in one sentence

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, moseeds said:

Everything wrong with the modern world in one sentence

No usually the world pretends opinion is fact, I am an unusual person been honest.

Shame you didnt want to address any of the points though, just seems you wanted to get a quick sound bite in as I am suggesting chillwell wants out.

There is even a point 4, which I am realising if there is links to a player leaving a club, then it often means there has been some kind of discussions that have already happened somewhere, which wouldnt have happened if the player wasnt interested.

how often was andy king linked to leaving us?

Surely at least acknowledge my point 1 is a strong one :), maddison will probably want out as well I reckon once he has a decent amount of england games under his belt.

Edited by Chrysalis

Maybe he wants to go maybe he doesnt? I guess we will soon find out! It would be a shame as personally if i was him i would want to play in the CL as part of the team that had done all the hard work and got us there. I also can't see the lure of chelsea other than money? Being a professional they don't have much of a social life during the season. He doesnt seem unhappy and seems very popular in the dressing room. Time will tell i guess!

I have heard both your points about Man City and Liverpool and to be honest they are the only two at present it would be worth moving too in my opinion but then would he be guaranteed game time? Probably not? I dont see any of the "top 6" offering anything other that more pay. But then thats a whole other talking point 😊

Edited by Hales

Kante left us under similar circumstances, even better one's as we had won the title and Chelsea were not even in the CL then either.  I remember Ranieri was genuinely surprised at it as well, before Kante left to play for france he verbally told the manager he is staying, but must have got his head turned whilst on international duty.

I agree he should stick with us as we got him there, but sadly players seem to think in their own ways.  Chelsea would to a player be a clear step up from Leicester.

Edited by Chrysalis

30 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Kante left us under similar circumstances, even better one's as we had won the title and Chelsea were not even in the CL then either.  I remember Ranieri was genuinely surprised at it as well, before Kante left to play for france he verbally told the manager he is staying, but must have got his head turned whilst on international duty.

I agree he should stick with us as we got him there, but sadly players seem to think in their own ways.  Chelsea would to a player be a clear step up from Leicester.

🤞 he does stay, the grass isnt always greener! I think he will develop better under Brendan too. 

Edited by Hales

I'm a fan of Chilwell. I would prefer to have him than not but let's be honest, for the rumoured £85m..... He has to go, for the betterment of the starting 11, the squad and the club. 

• Like 1

what is and is not an acceptable offer, if any where to be made, will be decided by the club and not what we lot think. There are so many factors that come into play,financial, footballing, personal etc. some of which we can only guess at. In every business, employees have appraisals with their line managers where such things as targets and ambitions are discussed. I am sure that players are no different and those discussions may also reflect in contract offers and/or what the club deems to be a proper market value. If a player makes it clear that they do not see their longer term future at the club, then the the powers that be are more likely to accept a lower offer, especially if that player makes their desire to move on at some point public knowledge.

No doubt, if chelsea decide to make a derisive offer, the media will start spouting the usual twaddle about how nasty greedy little Leicester have gone back on some mythical "gentleman's agreement" and are holding back one of the country's bright young stars, who no doubt will turn out to be a closet Chelsea fan who he has always dreamed of playing for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

We'd be absolutely mental to turn down that money. We could definitely improve again.

100%. Sell Chilwell who is reportedly on 65k a week at £85m, and see how close we can get to the 100k wage demand of Kurzawa. 85k with a hefty signing on fee?

Arguably an improvement on Chilwell, not too much of a jump up in wages whilst banking some serious cash. 

I feel the same way about this potential move as I did about Maguire and Drinkwater - I don't think we will be much weaker and if we get a good sum of money to reinvest, we could even turn out stronger (i.e. 35m on a replacement for Chilwell and 50m to spend on a winger / striker would make us stronger).

However, i hesitate because of the perception that it gives to the 'top 6'. It looks like we're ripe for the taking and are happy to sell one big player each year which is just so frustrating. The reality is that we're always going to susceptible to these sorts of bids and so will always be seen as a stepping stone. I also don't believe we can keep on pulling it out of the bag with signings that can perform at the level we need, whilst also increasing in value (Maddison, Soyuncu, Ricardo) so this worries me about replacing these big players each year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, adam95581 said:

I feel the same way about this potential move as I did about Maguire and Drinkwater - I don't think we will be much weaker and if we get a good sum of money to reinvest, we could even turn out stronger (i.e. 35m on a replacement for Chilwell and 50m to spend on a winger / striker would make us stronger).

However, i hesitate because of the perception that it gives to the 'top 6'. It looks like we're ripe for the taking and are happy to sell one big player each year which is just so frustrating. The reality is that we're always going to susceptible to these sorts of bids and so will always be seen as a stepping stone. I also don't believe we can keep on pulling it out of the bag with signings that can perform at the level we need, whilst also increasing in value (Maddison, Soyuncu, Ricardo) so this worries me about replacing these big players each year. 

I understand your point ripe for the taking. However if we are going to sell we will get world record fees for any of our players. Other clubs will know they can not get our best players on the cheap. Contracts are not running down like Arsenal have had with Alexis, Ozil, Aubamayeng for example. It does show we will sell our players but not held to ransom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unique FC said:

I understand your point ripe for the taking. However if we are going to sell we will get world record fees for any of our players. Other clubs will know they can not get our best players on the cheap. Contracts are not running down like Arsenal have had with Alexis, Ozil, Aubamayeng for example. It does show we will sell our players but not held to ransom. 

Yeah, we're well managed in that regard. I guess it's the reliance on only getting 2 or 3 good years out of these players before the inevitable happens and we need to replace them. But then again, if we did dig our heels in, would we then be in the position that you mentioned above with players running their contracts down as us being left with nothing? I guess this is why we're not the ones making the decisions...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm a fan of Chilwell. I would prefer to have him than not but let's be honest, for the rumoured £85m..... He has to go, for the betterment of the starting 11, the squad and the club. 

He's had a very inconsistent season for us..

85m!!..

Bye Ben, thanks for everything.

• Like 1

The biggest conundrum for us is if we lose Chilwell we will find it difficult to fill our homegrown quota for CL if we qualify. It's a big ask to expect any of the current U18/U23 to be ready for CL football next season.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, adam95581 said:

Yeah, we're well managed in that regard. I guess it's the reliance on only getting 2 or 3 good years out of these players before the inevitable happens and we need to replace them. But then again, if we did dig our heels in, would we then be in the position that you mentioned above with players running their contracts down as us being left with nothing? I guess this is why we're not the ones making the decisions...

Thankfully we don't have to make these calls.. 

I think we learnt from Kante contract clause / Mahrez wanting to leave situation how best to sell our players. I think you are correct we will have players for 3 years roughly. Get them to a level and then sell for very high fees. However, when we did that with Maguire we were not in contention for Champions league. Now with the training ground almost completed / Stadium expansion maybe in 2 years time and if we manage to stay challenging for top 4, maybe these players will want to stay and then we can even build on the quality we have. 

Still it is so surreal from Peter Taylor days, Sven blowing vast amounts on any player with half a reasonable reputation in England, Martin Allen signing anyone who did well in Football Manager. Still can't believe it when I see us now. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The biggest conundrum for us is if we lose Chilwell we will find it difficult to fill our homegrown quota for CL if we qualify. It's a big ask to expect any of the current U18/U23 to be ready for CL football next season.

I imagine atleast one Englishman will sign for us this window....

3 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I imagine atleast one Englishman will sign for us this window....

It's the club trained quota that we might have issues with, not the association trained quota (we've got loads) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brucey said:

It's the club trained quota that we might have issues with, not the association trained quota (we've got loads) 

We currently have a 24 man registered squad, with 3 club trained (Chilwell, Barnes, and Choudhury)

I believe if Jakupovic leaves in the summer we could register Daniel Iversen as the 3rd choice keeper as I think he is actually classed as club trained due to joining when he was still 18, then maybe Dewsbury-Hall as well if Chilwell does leave to give us the 4 needed?

Next season we are going to have to do a 1 in 1 out transfer strategy to make sure we comply

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

We currently have a 24 man registered squad, with 3 club trained (Chilwell, Barnes, and Choudhury)

I believe if Jakupovic leaves in the summer we could register Daniel Iversen as the 3rd choice keeper as I think he is actually classed as club trained due to joining when he was still 18, then maybe Dewsbury-Hall as well if Chilwell does leave to give us the 4 needed?

Next season we are going to have to do a 1 in 1 out transfer strategy to make sure we comply

Dewsbury-Hall and Iversen need to be out playing, we cannot keep them here just to fill a UEFA quota

• Like 1