Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

If he so desperately wants to go then I’d happily drive him there myself.

In a season where we’ve done superbly well, Ben Chilwell hasn’t. He has had a shocking season, been at fault for numerous goals, been extremely frustrating to watch and on many occasions he’s deservingly been berated for his poor form and his mistakes.

I’d easily take £60 million for him, but if we can hold out for £80 million then like a few have said already, we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank again.

Supposedly Lampard is after a left-back who can defend and attack, Ben Chilwell is bang average at both.

Losing him wouldn’t be a big deal, there’s a good few left-backs out there who we could get at a decent price, and who are better.

27 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

One big player sold for last 3 summers in a row.

Kante

Mahrez

Maguire

Even with all the sales we make only 1 million profit on last accounts, massive wages to turnover ratio, KP revenue destroyed by covid, I be surprised if we dont sell a first teamer.

Arguably Maguire was sold to league rival as we was expected to be going for a CL spot this season.

if you want to be a big club you have to act like one, selling a key player every summer isn't what big clubs do, unless its to a foreign club

17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Dortmund regularly do it and still at times piss all over Bayern.

I've no problem with it if the player is expendable and/or the fee is obscene. With Maguire and likely Chilwell it's going to be both and that's is just too good to turn down.

no they don't Bayern are about to win their 8th title in a row...

15 minutes ago, kingfox said:

If he so desperately wants to go then I’d happily drive him there myself.

In a season where we’ve done superbly well, Ben Chilwell hasn’t. He has had a shocking season, been at fault for numerous goals, been extremely frustrating to watch and on many occasions he’s deservingly been berated for his poor form and his mistakes.

I’d easily take £60 million for him, but if we can hold out for £80 million then like a few have said already, we’ll be laughing all the way to the bank again.

Supposedly Lampard is after a left-back who can defend and attack, Ben Chilwell is bang average at both.

Losing him wouldn’t be a big deal, there’s a good few left-backs out there who we could get at a decent price, and who are better.

I despair!

List the numerous goals he's been at fault for

Who are these good left backs we could get at a decent price?

• Like 1

It's a Maguire situation all over again. He'll go and be half decent at Chelsea i suspect, but for the money, we could make another leap forward. I'd accept £60m, but knowing how we operate, i suspect if he goes it'll be £70m or above.

It'd be nice to keep him, but like Maguire was, he is the most expendable of the 5 players who we know are coveted, and would command a large fee (Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu and Maddison).

We have to be realistic as well and understand that this model of selling 1 prize asset each summer is likely to continue.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 1

Of all our 'big' players, Chilwell is probably the one we can afford to lose the most. Last Summer I'd probably have said he was the most likely to leave after Maguire.

We'd do well to get a ready made replacement better than him, nevermind one of his potential, but the club have shown that they're more than capable of doing so in the past.

Happy if he stays, happy if we manage to rinse Chelsea for a massive fee and find a good replacement.

3 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

I despair!

Layvin Kurzawa (free)

Alex Grimaldo

Alex Telles

Kieran Tierney (if he can stay fit)

Not to mention who knows how James Justin + our own youth lads will develop 

13 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Why does he want to go there so much? Thought he was a Leicester fan?

Its paper talk i suspect? There are actually reports coming out where supposedly friends have said he has not asked to leave at all? Who knows 🤷‍♀️ I guess all the media will be about Chilly now after they have signed Werner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

I despair!

Grimaldo
Theo Hernandez
Olivera
Kieran Tierney
Renan Lodi
Alex Tellas

All very good I'd imagine some of them would be impossible to get 

Edited by Fox85

7 minutes ago, Foxesmints said:

I despair!

You despair? lol 

He’s had a shit season, I think most Leicester fans can agree on that.

Kurzawa(Free transfer)

Tierney

Telles

Tagliafico

Stevens

I’d take any of those five as Chilwell’s replacement.

I'm a big fan of his but:

A) He's probably one of the more easily replaceable players in the starting eleven

B) His progress has stalled noticeably over the past year or so

C) I would back our scouting/transfers team to get us a replacement of at least equivalent quality with the £60m-£80m being rumoured

As with every player, if we're confident we can use the money to improve the squad then I'm fine with selling him.

How does the transfer window work with the season resuming in the summer? Would Chilwell leave before the end of the season and be eligible to play for Chelsea in the 2019-2020 premier league season? 

Edited by Detroit Blues

Just now, Detroit Blues said:

How does the transfer window work, with the season resuming in the summer? Would Chilwell leave before the end of the season and be eligible to play for Chelsea in the 2019-2020 premier league season? 

No as they wouldn't be able to register him, most likely we probably won't see anything about this transfer being completed until the season finishes

Just now, moore_94 said:

No as they wouldn't be able to register him, most likely we probably won't see anything about this transfer being completed until the season finishes

Thank you for the clarification. What about Chelsea's other transfers - Ziyech and Werner. Would they, for the same reason, not be involved in the rest of Chelsea's season / our FA cup quarterfinal match?

22 minutes ago, kingfox said:

You despair? lol 

He’s had a shit season, I think most Leicester fans can agree on that.

Kurzawa(Free transfer)

Tierney

Telles

Tagliafico

Stevens

I’d take any of those five as Chilwell’s replacement.

Stevens is very underrated

7 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Thank you for the clarification. What about Chelsea's other transfers - Ziyech and Werner. Would they, for the same reason, not be involved in the rest of Chelsea's season / our FA cup quarterfinal match?

Yeah same reason as they wouldn't be able to register them to play

24 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Would love any of these as his replacement, Wijndal at just 20 looks really good

image.png.16f1139196a31becf55dbd371f742723.png

Skov is a left winger, I think he's been categorised as an LB as sometimes Hoffenheim go 352 wingbacks and he plays as LWB. But he is not the same type of player that Chilwell is at all, even though he's quite a good winger. So he's not a replacement option for Chilwell as he's more like Harvey Barnes than Chilwell!

From that list, Gosens stands out to me as a great option. Would get on well with the other Belgian lads and would be really steady and consistent. Basically the LB version of Praet, who is very well regarded for good reason by most on here. He's also been playing regularly for Atalanta in the Champions League, who have been doing their very own Leicester City impression in Serie A by taking on and beating many of the big boys. That's a top league, his team plays high pressing football and he's the right age to come in and settle right away, but also with enough years left in him to be a mainstay for several years.

The outstanding LBs in Europe are Tagalifico and Telles, but Gosens would be a very "Leicester" type of signing. Under the radar, not that well known but would probably end up fitting like a glove. Could probably get him for a fee that would be cheap for us and interesting to Atalanta too.

56 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

if you want to be a big club you have to act like one, selling a key player every summer isn't what big clubs do, unless its to a foreign club

no they don't Bayern are about to win their 8th title in a row...

Its not what I want but rather what I think we will do, our owners have consistently showed in recent seasons they wont bankroll us, they want the club to be self sustaining, do you have a reason to think that will change whilst at the same time their core business is in tatters?

Or is it just a "keep the faith" thing?

The only thing this summer is we will have CL revenue to look forward to, but there is a chance the CL wont even happen next season and the revenue is lower than when we were last in it due to the new payment system they setup to give more money on coefficient.

To act like a big club without spending beyond our means, we need to do something about our revenue levels.  Sort out the KP sponsorship which is really low, and get the stadium work done to get matchday revenues up.

Edited by Chrysalis

5 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Its how the football world works.

We have a history of selling the players, which means they will continue to be linked away.

More likely with the media's love of linking any non-big 6 player in a well performing team with the big 6. 

Our 'history' of selling players; 

- A world record fee for Harry Maguire 

- Man City's record fee for Mahrez 

- Kante due to a release clause which was learnt from.

You make it sound like we sell for cheap or on mass like Southampton did. 

Here we are again with the "big clubs don't sell"/"we can't be a selling club" argument. What we need to be is a smart club. Selling Chilwell for £70m/£80m when we can sign a replacement for £30m is the smart choice. We can't act like a Big 6 team on less than half the revenue (see tweet).

I'd say the one big sale a year is working pretty well: 

19/20 - Maguire covers the cost of Tielemans, Perez and Praet

18/19 - Mahez covers the cost of Maddison, Ricardo, Soy

17/18 - Drinkwater covers the cost of Maguire and Iheanacho

Yes, they don't all work out but show me a club where they do.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/leicester-city/alletransfers/verein/1003

• Like 2