Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

If we plan on cashing in on someone this summer id rather it be Chilwell then anyone else. He's a good player at his best and it wouldn't be 'easy' to replace but it's certainly possible. 

Don't see him as a Chelsea player though, always seems a bit serious at Chelsea, shit banter. 

4 hours ago, Beechey said:

Their average ticket price is about twice that of ours, their stadium is about 25% larger, more room for hospitality etc.

To get anywhere near that level a significant stadium expansion is an absolute must.

Their commercial revenues dwarf ours ......they are a ‘big club’ and we are not.  Even with a larger stadium, we won’t get close to bridging the gap ........

plus they have had an owner that has stuck a billion quid into the club! 

• Like 1

If price is correct 85 million for Chilwell then I would definitely sell. That amount another record transfer is too much to turn down. We have an incredible training ground on the way. Stadium expansion in the works. Potentially champions league football to look forward too. We are on way to being a top European club.  

The Norwich lad who scored against us looks a decent option and with Norwich likely to go down, selling could be a must for them and keep the price reasonable. Or Telles from Porto if want to go further afield. 

• Like 1

I actually think Chilwell will get better and he’s underrated already. 

I never felt like that about Maguire. 

However, all these talks about him linking up with his “mates” at Chelsea are daft. Isn’t he friends with Maddison, Gray, Hamza and Grealish?!? 

• Like 3

So Chilwell to Chelsea really ramping up now! We know he’s ambitious, wants a bigger club and more cash and would not turn down a move to Chelsea to play with his mates from the England squad....

That said, we know what he brings and sometimes what he doesn’t. I for one don’t want to sell our best players but do appreciate if we can bring through our academy left back/left wing back as a realistic Prem ready prospect and get serious cash for Chilwell it’s worth considering as long as ‘serious cash’ means bending Chelsea over for circa £85 Million.

• Like 1

It’s all well and good selling a player for silly money but look what happened when we sold Maguire and were then quoted equally silly money for Tarkowski and co, we were fortunate in that we could get away without replacing Maguire, that’s not the case with Chilwell.

I’d actually be disappointed if we get champions league and still sell a first team player - especially to a potential champions league rival.

It's sad seeing young talent going, but as long as there's a net increase of quality in the squad, I accept it. 

Selling one top player per year seems not to disrupt the team too much. 

If the fee is 85m, I'd gift wrap him myself. We can replace him well and get at least one more very decent player in for that money if scouting keeps going well. 

No way anyone pays 85m for Chilwell, would doubt even 65m would be offered

This is no way suggesting a valuation of any sort, just doubt we will see Maguire type madness this Summer

7 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

It's sad seeing young talent going, but as long as there's a net increase of quality in the squad, I accept it. 

Selling one top player per year seems not to disrupt the team too much. 

If the fee is 85m, I'd gift wrap him myself. We can replace him well and get at least one more very decent player in for that money if scouting keeps going well. 

Have to agree, even though we will never get 85m. If we do have a lot less to spend because of the current situation, surely to improve the overall squad we will need to sell one player.

Going to hate it if he does go as i want us to develop our own and have them playing in our team but with likely CL commitments next year on top of a lack of pre season, we will need a bit more quality and numbers throughout the squad. A 3rd cb, a right winger, left back and maybe someone like diallo as discussed elsewhere for when wilf is out. 

22 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

What statistics are you looking at? maybe its common for left backs to kick the ball out of play or to opposition so often.

I would love your opinion on who you think we should sell instead of Chilwell.

Or are you of the opinion the club will break trend and not sell a first team player?

If BR can coach Ndidi to pass a ball better (lets face it, some of his passing was wayward at best) then there's every chance he can do it with Chilwell.

With, hopefully, champions league on the horizon, it would be disappointing to sell now regardless of the price. Though I'd fully understand and back the club if £85m came in for him.

• Like 1

He’s a good player when he’s confident, but pretty bad when not- there’s not really an in between. But 85m we would be stupid to turn that down, and that would be two summers in a row 🤣

55EEBE6F-8BD1-475F-BBCD-F11D378C8C8D.jpeg

6 minutes ago, sdb said:

Good article on The Athletic, emphasising what a good player he is. Michael Cox knows his stuff.

It is a good article, but I think Chilwell's attacking and crossing prowess is over exaggerated in it. I think that's his biggest weakness personally.

• Like 2

My big issue, as others have pointed out, is that if we get a ridiculous fee for him then prices go up elsewhere and we get shafted. It's not like the Maguire situation where we had a replacement ready to go. I just don't want us to be caught with our pants down.

Ideally, we'd put out word of what we're willing to accept, talk to the player and let him know that these are our terms for him going. If nobody meets them then he doesn't go. Be upfront about it and no messing around. It gives us a chance to get a feel for the market because I can't see Chelsea (or anyone else) coming to us with £80+ million straight away. Might buy us some time to get things moving on a replacement/ backup and, if we're lucky, we can get a deal moving before it all kicks off.

Lastly - I do think that the way we handled Mahrez and Maguire puts us in very good stead. Clubs now now that we expect big money for our players and are willing to wait for it to come. 

• Like 1

Reading these reports got me thinking: gyamfi tipped to come through if we can secure him on a contract and that Daley-Campbell is with firsts too. Will this see Justin moved to left back and we put trust in Luke Thomas to step up who is also one of the 23s training with the firsts at the minute? Pure speculation and could be because of the full back issues at right back no Ricardo and amartey available (probably right) 

• Like 1

I think his end product has improved this year and that's in a system that doesn't really reward typical crossed into the box anyway. He's rapidly improving imo and he's shown with England how effective he can be in a (slightly) different system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

I'd sell for anything above 50m if we don't get in the Champs League.

I don't think he's got the end product or technical ability to be real top drawer.

He’s the first-choice left-back for England. The team rated fourth in world football. Define ‘top drawer’?