Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

10 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

He’s the first-choice left-back for England. The team rated fourth in world football. Define ‘top drawer’? 

Concluding that England has a dearth of quality left back does not really prove a great deal. lol

I like him though and would like him to stay, but it has its limits.

45 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Concluding that England has a dearth of quality left back does not really prove a great deal. lol

I like him though and would like him to stay, but it has its limits.

I would say he's sitting pretty in the top 10/15 or so left backs in the world tbf.

I think his departure would be far more detrimental than the Maguire one [regardless of the fact we had Soynucu here already]. Our system didn't rely on Maguire, he helped but wasn't integral to our style of play; a pair of marauding full-backs are crucial to how we play, losing Chilwell will be a huge blow and a really difficult one to replace. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fleckneymike said:

I think his departure would be far more detrimental than the Maguire one [regardless of the fact we had Soynucu here already]. Our system didn't rely on Maguire, he helped but wasn't integral to our style of play; a pair of marauding full-backs are crucial to how we play, losing Chilwell will be a huge blow and a really difficult one to replace. 

And we all under estimate the loss of maguire because of how brilliant cags has been. 
no guarantee that a chilwell replacement would be as good as cags !  
but every player does have their price ....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

And we all under estimate the loss of maguire because of how brilliant cags has been. 
no guarantee that a chilwell replacement would be as good as cags !  
but every player does have their price ....

I don't think we needed a Cags to replace Maguire. It's a bonus that we had him here already but his style of play isn't integral. We could have two Johnny Evans' and be just as fine. At CB our system just needs a good defender. At full back we need a good attacker who can do some defending

Edited by fleckneymike
  • Like 1

The guy's usually either mustard or terrible with little middle ground, usually depending on how tough a game we're having. I'd like to think we could get more cash than that to be honest, he's much younger than HM was and that should be reflected in the price imo. 

Do worry that we consistently sell our best assets, we won't be so lucky with all the replacements and that will cost us if we're looking to break into the top four for good. 

• Like 1

RE: his end product in the final third, I've never felt there was any control over it and that's why he seems so inconsistent at crossing and shooting. There have been a couple of games (Southampton away for example) where everything he did was unbelievable and when you watch that it's hard to believe he isn't a phenomenon but then there's game after game where he will fail to hit the space any of our players are in, run it out of play when not under much pressure and waste possession. There's a definite confidence issue, which happens to lots of players but there's also technique problems which hopefully he could iron out given time.

Defensively I think he has improved no end and although he still has mistakes in him, I don't think this is from a lack of ability or application but more the nature of the type of attack minded player he is. He reads the game much better now and his ability to take the ball up pitch is his strongest asset and there are very few at full back in the game that can do it so effortlessly. If he could just get some breakthrough at how to deliver that ball when he gets there then he is the £85m player the media talk about but he's nowhere near that yet for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TrentFox said:

He’s the first-choice left-back for England. The team rated fourth in world football. Define ‘top drawer’? 

lol I wouldn't say having an England starting spot is the measure

Is Pickford top drawer also? England's number 1

13 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

lol I wouldn't say having an England starting spot is the measure

Is Pickford top drawer also? England's number 1

I think England’s last match was in the late autumn and Pope started in goal ? 🤣🤣🤣. But I get your point. Mine wasn’t that Chilwell  is the world’s best ..... but being first-choice for the 4th ranked international side has to be ‘top drawer’ in anyone’s books. Despite some disappointing games, I don’t see LCFC having anyone better, anytime soon. 

team 

2 minutes ago, TrentFox said:

I think England’s last match was in the late autumn and Pope started in goal ? 🤣🤣🤣. But I get your point. Mine wasn’t that Chilwell  is the world’s best ..... but being first-choice for the 4th ranked international side has to be ‘top drawer’ in anyone’s books. Despite some disappointing games, I don’t see LCFC having anyone better, anytime soon. 

team 

My point about being Top Drawer is that many believe he will be, hence the interest and fees spoken about. I would sell because personally I don't think he will develop in to that, as you see with a lot of young players, so I think it would be a good time to sell for that amount of money.

Not because I think Leicester deserve a top drawer LB lol just my opinion of course.

Chilwell is easily replaceable, particularly is overinflated ego and persona. He's been spouting off behind closed doors about wanting a move to any London club as he spends most his weekends down there anyway on the piss after our games. I won't miss him. 

3 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Chilwell is easily replaceable, particularly is overinflated ego and persona. He's been spouting off behind closed doors about wanting a move to any London club as he spends most his weekends down there anyway on the piss after our games. I won't miss him. 

What's the source for this? 

10 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Take my word for it, directly from a first team players mouth. 

Even if true, a young man with a load of money wanting to live in London is hardly a surprise. Spouting off maybe I’ll-advised but if someone wants to live somewhere and work for a different company (football club in this case), so be it. 

He’ll get his move if:

A. We get the fee we want.

B. He actually cuts out his faults and becomes a top player.

C. A+B as they go hand in hand. 

Don’t the club have the players in the day after a game anyway? 

Who realistically is going to pay us the money we want for him? Chelsea might, Arsenal and Spurs won’t. West Ham and the ones who might make it up from the Championship couldn’t dream of it. 

Chelsea will only spend on Chilwell if they can get in the champions league, they are cash poor and rely on their benefactor.  At this moment the prediction is that football transfers will go down by 20% and the wages will go down with it.  Most footballers might kiss the badge but they also care about how much cash there are getting in their pay packet!  If there is a second lockdown, then expect clubs to not spend and players will stay at their current clubs on big wages. Think Pogba and Man Utd, he would probably rather stay than accept a pay reduction at another club.

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

My point about being Top Drawer is that many believe he will be, hence the interest and fees spoken about. I would sell because personally I don't think he will develop in to that, as you see with a lot of young players, so I think it would be a good time to sell for that amount of money.

Not because I think Leicester deserve a top drawer LB lol just my opinion of course.

Well explained. It’s all about opinions. I think I change my mind on him every week, for what’s it’s worth! 🤣🤣. But right now, I do think he’s in the best ‘drawer’ for us to command an outrageous fee if he goes. 

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

Really? Do you actually know him personally or just listen to gossip????

• Like 2

Take my word for it, directly from a first team players mouth. 

Couple of things Ted ...   do you 100% believe what this player is saying to you ...  do you get the impression he means right now or in the future ..    is he just saying I’d rather move south than north, IF I moved ...   and does he really mean it ..  in your opinion.

33 minutes ago, hackenbacker said:

"on the piss after our games"

sure you haven't been on the piss after our games?

I may be wrong but they all get on the coach and travel back together and have a recovery session the next day? Im sure he wouldnt be allowed to just miss those for a night out! Not sure Brendan would go for that at all. I dont think its helpful to speculate and spread gossip about people unless you know them personally? I still can't get my head round selling a regular first team player to a close rival and potential CL rival too. Thats bad business. I think given the market we need to get rid of fringe players and try and keep the first team squad together if possible. If the player wants to go thats a different matter but he doesnt seem like someone that would cause issues. I think given Ricardo's injury and maybe him needing a gentler introduction back next season, JJ will be needed for that cover.  I just think we should keep for another season at least?

• Like 1

Chilwell will have a very good career in the game as an attacking wing back. 

He still has areas of his game to work on in a defensive sense, like awareness as he can switch off from time to time to name one.

As from a sure defensive stand point, he needs to improve and there are replacements about.

Like when we had Mahrez and Simpson was purely defensive to cater for him just attacking, the same could be said for Barnes being left to attack and have a purely defensive LB?

85m quotes is a fantastic sum of money if it was all upfront like Maguire. it could all depend on how Brendan wants to shape the defence going forward. 

5 minutes ago, steflcfc said:

Chilwell will have a very good career in the game as an attacking wing back. 

He still has areas of his game to work on in a defensive sense, like awareness as he can switch off from time to time to name one.

As from a sure defensive stand point, he needs to improve and there are replacements about.

Like when we had Mahrez and Simpson was purely defensive to cater for him just attacking, the same could be said for Barnes being left to attack and have a purely defensive LB?

85m quotes is a fantastic sum of money if it was all upfront like Maguire. it could all depend on how Brendan wants to shape the defence going forward. 

From interviews i have seen he very much wants his full backs attacking and getting goals and assists.