Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

2 minutes ago, Hales said:

He mainly plays as a right back. I think we need him plus chilly and Ricardo as we need the cover for injuries, squad rotation etc. As it currently stands we have someone to slot in but if chilwell goes we wont have that. Chilwell needs to stay plus JJ! I can't understand the mentality of wanting to sell a regular first team player to a close rival! He hasn't had the greatest season but we all know he can play better. He is always written off too quickly. JJ is also new to the prem and yes he has been good in the appearances he has played but he also needs time to adjust.

If he really wants to leave then it’s best to allow it if you can get the fee you want ...... ref maguire ....

I think we want to keep him for at least one more season to make sure we have experienced players in place. I am sure Fuchs won't be hanging around after everything that's going on - he won't want to risk not being able to see his family for extended periods of time. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hales said:

He mainly plays as a right back. I think we need him plus chilly and Ricardo as we need the cover for injuries, squad rotation etc. As it currently stands we have someone to slot in but if chilwell goes we wont have that. Chilwell needs to stay plus JJ! I can't understand the mentality of wanting to sell a regular first team player to a close rival! He hasn't had the greatest season but we all know he can play better. He is always written off too quickly. JJ is also new to the prem and yes he has been good in the appearances he has played but he also needs time to adjust.

I don't want him to go, but if he wants to leave, we all know it'll happen.

• Sad 1

As much as it pains me to say it Chelsea and Leicester are in touch regarding Chilwell. No firm bids but I hear they want to be informed of any other interested clubs via his agent.

Financially its unclear where all clubs will stand in the market because of the situation  but id still hate to loose him. 

I dint think we will realise just how good he is till he's gone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

As much as it pains me to say it Chelsea and Leicester are in touch regarding Chilwell. No firm bids but I hear they want to be informed of any other interested clubs via his agent.

Financially its unclear where all clubs will stand in the market because of the situation  but id still hate to loose him. 

For me it’s a no don’t sell him, he is near on impossible to replace like for like. He has so much potential. It would be a mistake to sell him in my opinion 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

7 minutes ago, tetly said:

For me it’s a no don’t sell him, he is near on impossible to replace like for like. He has so much potential. It would be a mistake to sell him in my opinion 

Isn’t that the point re the market. That’s not our responsibility so if we don’t need the money this summer then unless Chelsea pay the fee we would want in a normal market then we shouldn’t sell him.  if we were clever we would be looking at european clubs with great young left backs who may not be in a position to refuse a decent bid (but well below where it would be in a non CV situation)

we certainly need to avoid the maguire scenario where we went looking for a replacement once everyone  knew we had 80m burning a hole in our pockets ....... we are presumably already looking now under the premis that we what someone to understudy/compete with chilly for at least a season ....

• Like 2

On 15/05/2020 at 20:10, st albans fox said:

Isn’t that the point re the market. That’s not our responsibility so if we don’t need the money this summer then unless Chelsea pay the fee we would want in a normal market then we shouldn’t sell him.  if we were clever we would be looking at european clubs with great young left backs who may not be in a position to refuse a decent bid (but well below where it would be in a non CV situation)

we certainly need to avoid the maguire scenario where we went looking for a replacement once everyone  knew we had 80m burning a hole in our pockets ....... we are presumably already looking now under the premis that we what someone to understudy/compete with chilly for at least a season ....

Another young whippersnapper like Justin would be shrewd business. A quality CB too, plus more cover for that area.

On 15/05/2020 at 19:52, themightyfin said:

I think there will be a big hit to the transfer market which would put us in a strong position as we don't need to sell, particularly with £85m in the bank. The problem with that is Chelsea had a transfer ban last summer with a huge sale of Hazard.

34 minutes ago, Walkers said:

We're 3rd in the PL, i'd be disappointed if we sell our England LB and plan to replace him with our backup RB who once did alright at LB with Luton in League One

They’ve all got to start from somewhere buddy....

3 hours ago, Walkers said:

This isn't 15 years ago.. would you not be a little underwhelmed if Justin was our first choice LB next season?

Soyuncu was our 4th choice back up and that turned out alright.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Soyuncu was our 4th choice back up and that turned out alright.

Soyuncu was planned to be the LCB replacement for Maguire and was bought specifically to fulfil that purpose. Justin is a right back, bought to fulfil the gap Ricardo will eventually leave. The fact that he can cover decently at left back is incredibly useful but I absolutely would not want him to be our first choice there for an extended period of time. 

• Like 2

I don't buy Chilwell is irreplaceable. It's a shame to lose an academy graduate but there's a definite hint of Maguire out there. I saw Guerreiro play a better game for Dortmund earlier than I've seen Chilwell play in god knows how long and these are the kinds of players he's being compared to.

6 hours ago, Walkers said:

I thought somebody might bring that comparison up, however Soyuncu is a CB and was virtually untried at the club. 

As is Justin, never had a consecutive run of games 

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Soyuncu was planned to be the LCB replacement for Maguire and was bought specifically to fulfil that purpose. Justin is a right back, bought to fulfil the gap Ricardo will eventually leave. The fact that he can cover decently at left back is incredibly useful but I absolutely would not want him to be our first choice there for an extended period of time. 

There's no way we wouldn't replace Chilwell but that doesn't mean Justin won't go on to establish himself at left back rather than right back. It's far too early to suggest he will do but the bits I've seen he has a very rare ability to play full back on his weaker foot and that does give some advantages.

I think given Ricardo's injury and that JJ will be needed as cover for him we need to keep Chilly for at least another transfer window. This gives JJ chance to gain some experience too. I think with Chilly he needs to up his game and work on his confidence or whatever is the cause of his poor form. As fans we need to get behind him and hopefully he can start a fresh.  As I said before selling him to Chelsea, close rivals, seems crazy too! We need depth to the squad and I know we have sold a player each season I think this transfer window will be massively different plus we need to keep the big names not sell if we are going to progress.  It's so positive to see cags and wilf and maddison say they want to stay and are happy.  They can see the journey the club is on.  Hopefully we can keep the team together, the future looks bright!

Edited by Hales

14 minutes ago, sdb said:

Surely it needs to be a bid that's too good to refuse, something that's increasingly unlikely at present. 

We were told that maguire wouldn’t agitate for the move if yanited didn’t stump up the cash. The player clearly wanted to leave.

That left us exposed as the season started and we got lucky that cags stepped up 

chilly has been here since a kid and I would be shocked if he made any trouble if we knocked back Chelsea’s interest. However, players are ambitious and want to earn big money. We cannot have a system where we stand in the way of a player if his valuation is met. It will stop others from signing new deals and coming here in the first place. 

so Chelsea either pay the money or chilly stays until we decide we want to sell him

4 hours ago, Bert said:

As is Justin, never had a consecutive run of games 

Yes but he's a right back!! Very handy to have someone capable of playing on both sides but we're not cash strapped are we, especially if we end up getting 50m+ for Chilwell. We're not in a position where we have to be scraping the barrel and replacing from within

Not aimed at you but how many times has be played at LB for us? Villa? We don't play against shite like that every week

1 hour ago, lcfc sheff said:

Quite simply it comes down to is he actually worth £50m to the team? In my opinion, no. So if we get an offer for that amount or for some reason higher; I’d sell him in a heart beat.

No way should we be selling England’s left back for 50m.  Walker went for that years ago. Min 70m and try to get more than one club interested to drive it further ......

Take personal opinion and even a fair chunk of logic out of the equation, and England's 22 year old first choice left back should be commanding a fee of over £50 million. 

And yes our recruitment is generally good (at least before Congerton), but can we be sure the £15-25 mill we would spend on a replacement be a suitable replacement? The grass isn't always greener. 

• Like 2