Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

He is England's first choice left back, the grass certainly isnt greener! Yes his form has been poor but we all know he is better than that. Maybe closed doors and no fans will help him if confidence was an issue?

Edited by Hales

I’m not a fan of Chilwell at all and never have been. Defensively his positioning is very poor, he never closes the winger down quick enough to prevent crosses coming in. Going forward his final ball is poor and far too many times he just seems to have no idea what to do with the ball when he gets in good positions and either passes back to the centre half or just runs the ball out of play.  BUT I  am prepared to admit I could be wrong. If a team like Chelsea want him and he’s England’s first choice full back then there must be something to his game that I’m not seeing and he has to be worth more that what Man Utd paid last year for Wan-Bissaka who hadn’t earned an international cap at the time, is very limited going forwards and no other team seemed to be interested in him.

• Like 2

Dont forget man city also nearly signed him but it fell through last minute as they were unable to sell their player. He is a diamond in the rough. He is athletic and has an engine on him. He has shown what he can do and with the right support and coaching he will be top! He needs coaching on reading the game definitely. Gareth clearly sees it and he has been brilliant for England. I really dont think we should be righting him off so quickly.  I'm not sure Fuchs will stay either after all this as he has spent valuable time with his family.  I think closed doors will help him as the fan pressure isnt there. Let's not sell to the team just behind us either!!

Edited by Hales
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

There's no way we wouldn't replace Chilwell but that doesn't mean Justin won't go on to establish himself at left back rather than right back. It's far too early to suggest he will do but the bits I've seen he has a very rare ability to play full back on his weaker foot and that does give some advantages.

It does give lots of advantages. That kind of versatility is a huge strength for him and his team. But there's a reason there's basically no weakfooted fullbacks. I personally can't see a full career for him there, he would be a complete anomaly.

17 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

It does give lots of advantages. That kind of versatility is a huge strength for him and his team. But there's a reason there's basically no weakfooted fullbacks. I personally can't see a full career for him there, he would be a complete anomaly.

He's unfortunate that the pandemic has potentially scuppered a run of 9-10 games in the side with Ricardo's ACL injury. Who knows what's going to happen in the next few months. Any team that competes in Europe regularly utilize 4 full backs to cover all the games so I've no real concern he won't make it here. Maybe the pandemic will see us need to sell an asset and losing someone like Chilwell and only re-investing part of that in a less established full back in order to use the funds elsewhere will benefit Justin.

You're right there aren't many weak footed full backs but the ones that do do it, are often a massive asset. Justin's crossing from the left in the couple of appearances this season have at times looked way more dangerous than Chilwell's, that's quite incredible. We could well have a very unusual player on our hands.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He's unfortunate that the pandemic has potentially scuppered a run of 9-10 games in the side with Ricardo's ACL injury. Who knows what's going to happen in the next few months. Any team that competes in Europe regularly utilize 4 full backs to cover all the games so I've no real concern he won't make it here. Maybe the pandemic will see us need to sell an asset and losing someone like Chilwell and only re-investing part of that in a less established full back in order to use the funds elsewhere will benefit Justin.

You're right there aren't many weak footed full backs but the ones that do do it, are often a massive asset. Justin's crossing from the left in the couple of appearances this season have at times looked way more dangerous than Chilwell's, that's quite incredible. We could well have a very unusual player on our hands.

That’d be nice!

I think the lad is excellent - but he needs experience and will make mistakes.

For every moment I thought him pretty incredible there were a few where he gave the ball away.

I hope he develops into something truly great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not only the crossing from the left but his awareness and time to look up and his combining with Barnes were quite astonishing in that last Villa game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's unfortunate that the pandemic has potentially scuppered a run of 9-10 games in the side with Ricardo's ACL injury.

Personally think he should still play at least a months worth of games, which ordinarily would have been 4 but might well be 8 now. 

Ricardo has clearly been lucky in having time to recover, but I feel we should be sensible with him and keep him wrapped up until either the very end... or next season if we can. 

• Like 1

I really don't like the thought of selling Chilwell and certainly not to the "other" city. Considering he's only 22 and we've got Europe, I would hope his sensible head would appreciate what we've given him and he'd stick with us for at least another season or so and prove himself on the big stage. 

At the end of the day, unless you're a mega club the chances are you won't hold on to players all the time and we've moved on from losing Kante, Mahrez and Maguire. I just don't want us to become THAT club that everyone looks at for a hot prospect and we're always on edge about losing players. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure we will see much moment in this window with all the uncertainty, take Chelsea, season behind close doors and they lose around 67m around 15% of there income. 

We on the other hand lose 13m around 8% of our income.

I just can't see big transfers, only club feeding of clubs in financial trouble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm not sure we will see much moment in this window with all the uncertainty, take Chelsea, season behind close doors and they lose around 67m around 15% of there income. 

We on the other hand lose 13m around 8% of our income.

I just can't see big transfers, only club feeding of clubs in financial trouble.

...not sure why the percentages are different, surely it would be the same percentage ...what you are looking at, surely, are ratios!!!!

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...not sure why the percentages are different, surely it would be the same percentage ...what you are looking at, surely, are ratios!!!!

Because each club is different i.e. size of ground, ticket prices, how much food they sale etc 

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Why would it be the same?

.....what ever the criteria used, it would be applied at the same percentage, as we are looking in the same field!!!

The values will be different as the size of clubs are not the same but the percentage of loss revenue would be the same.

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....what ever the criteria used, it would be applied at the same percentage, as we are looking in the same field!!!

The values will be different as the size of clubs are not the same but the percentage of loss revenue would be the same.

That doesn't make sense, no it wouldn't be at all.

How do you work at it would be the same percentage loss?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

I’d probably brush up on your mathematics before being adamant about something like that. I see what you’re thinking, but it’s not correct. 

25 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

I’d probably brush up on your mathematics before being adamant about something like that. I see what you’re thinking, but it’s not correct. 

...surely if your are doing a comparison then you will have to apply the same criteria!!!!

@coolhandfox conjecture of a 15% loss revenue for Chelsea and then arbitrarily attributes 8% to Leicester. Why not 6 or 5% this is pure conjecture and unless these figures were garnered from actual financial reports then Abravomich will need to see what Leicester is doing and copy it.

43 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...surely if your are doing a comparison then you will have to apply the same criteria!!!!

@coolhandfox conjecture of a 15% loss revenue for Chelsea and then arbitrarily attributes 8% to Leicester. Why not 6 or 5% this is pure conjecture and unless these figures were garnered from actual financial reports then Abravomich will need to see what Leicester is doing and copy it.

It not my conjecture, as I've not sent ages looking at both Leicester and Chelsea financial reports, but if you follow @SwissRamble om twitter, his a blogger who focuses on club financial reports.

Why would he want to make less from match day revenue?   

Chelsea.jpg

Leicester.jpg

Edited by coolhandfox

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

It not my conjecture, as I've not sent ages looking at both Leicester and Chelsea financial reports, but if you follow @SwissRamble om twitter, his a blogger who focuses on club financial reports.

Why would he want to make less from match day revenue?   

Chelsea.jpg

Leicester.jpg

....just looking at these figures quickly, the figure in the "Mix" column for Leicester in respect of gate receipts should be at least 10.00%. The "Broadcasting income should be 90.00% as the figures used in respect of the Leicester Graph should be totaled as per the Chelsea graph.

You need to treat both the same in order to quantify the results.

If you ignore the 'selling to a rival' and 'need to shake the small club mentality' and look at his performances for the last year you would surely come to the conclusion that if an offer anywhere near the size of the ones that are being discussed come in, we'd be mad to say no.

Justin in one game at left back showed more promise & composure than Chilwell's done all season. There's absolutely a chance that he'd go to Chelsea and become a great player, but it feels like an incredible risk to keep paying him 75-100k a week to be the team's worst performer week in week out.

It's easy to look at him as 'one of our own' and 'developing' but it stinks of Demarai Gray. He's played ~100 Premier League games for us - he's not some unknown talent we should be taking a punt on.

• Like 3