Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Lack of experience? We had Schmeichel, Fuchs, Evans, Vardy and Albrighton that have all won the PL, plus plenty of other experience in the team. I was actually a little bemused by their lack of leadership.

OK, fair point but we do have one of the youngest squads in the league and a lot of talented but lightweight players.  You might have touched on another reason, in that the fringe players weren't good enough, the likes of Albrighton and Fuchs being past their best, but the main reason I think is that they crumbled under the pressure as the games passed by, for whatever reason.  They lost their mojo and went into a defensive mindset.  Just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Honestly for me the watford game was because we were not good enough, as with most post lockdown games, albrighton and barnes could hardly control a ball that game, that's not mentality that's just lack of ability. Again if you stick a quality rw on instead of albrighton in that instance i think we win that game by a decent amount and that last minute goal doesnt even factor in. There were so many games at the start of the season where we fought for points we didnt deserve, if anything i think this squad is mentally stronger than most to overacheive like they did at the start of the season.

I can't agree with that.  If players suddenly looked Sunday League rather than Champion's League, that is because of what the pressure did to them.  You can't spend 3/4 of the season in the top four by accident with players that 'lack ability'.

12 minutes ago, murphy said:

You can't spend 3/4 of the season in the top four by accident with players that 'lack ability'.

No you can't. But we did similarly more or less manage that feat in 2000/01 when Tater Peeler was in charge. :thumbdown:

For some people who seem to be panicking that the club is being slow on the transfer movement-front, the current transfer window closes on 5th October..

Edited by Wymsey

18 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Never mind revisionism being in full force, 20/20 hindsight is also in full swing.

Of course hindsight.  I'm aware that I'm derailing this and my original point was that we need leaders but if you want to retrospectively judge our end of season failings, of course you will be using hindsight.  Not sure what your point is.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

I disagree that youth let us down to be honest, apart from the liverpool and bournemouth games i cant really think of any mental collapses. I just think the reality is that we were never that good this season and it caught up to us at the end when results stopped going our way. I dont think an expierenced 26+ year old who isnt good enough to be at a big team  is going to unlock us, we need a quality creative right wing who can create and linkup up with barnes and vardy and that is most likely going to come from a promising youngster, i just dont think perez has any chemistry with those 2, there's no interplay between them and someone who can provide that connection will go a long way to making us more effective.

...Perez is more effective centrally...hard to judge him from the position he has been asked to play!!!

I would have liked to see a Perez, Barnes and Nacho front three as they would be interchangeable and give us a new dimension to our attack as against playing the through ball for Vardy to run on to, and the possibility that our opponents would also play a higher line.

We were and are a good team, what we failed to do was to find a way of beating a system that teams had noted nullified us. The failure was down to Rodgers' inability to conjure up a plan B......it is still my worry and that is why this transfer window is so important.

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...Perez is more effective centrally...hard to judge him from the position he has been asked to play!!!

I would have liked to see a Perez, Barnes and Nacho front three as they would be interchangeable and give us a new dimension to our attack as against playing the through ball for Vardy to run on to, and the possibility that our opponents would also play a higher line.

We were and are a good team, what we failed to do was to find a way of beating a system that teams had noted nullified us. The failure was down to Rodgers' inability to conjure up a plan B......it is still my worry and that is why this transfer window is so important.

I agree with the barnes nacho perez front 3 being able to work, i just dont think vardy and perez play together very well at all, they seem to nullify each other's strengths and if we're going to drop 1 it's going to be perez, for the record i dont think he's a bad player, just a bad signing as he doesnt really fit our system. 

In terms of our early season form i think people are too results orientated, vardy wasnt getting service early on in the season, same as he wasnt towards the end he just managed to score a ridiculous 17 goals from 45 shots in the first half of the season which bailed us out. Our midfield and defense were good for most of the season but our front 3 have never been right even in the first half of the season and we need to fix that next season, theyre not a coherent unit, we've pretty much been playing 3 individuals up front all season and expected the creativity to come just from our midfield and fullbacks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I agree with the barnes nacho perez front 3 being able to work, i just dont think vardy and perez play together very well at all, they seem to nullify each other's strengths and if we're going to drop 1 it's going to be perez, for the record i dont think he's a bad player, just a bad signing as he doesnt really fit our system. 

In terms of our early season form i think people are too results orientated, vardy wasnt getting service early on in the season, same as he wasnt towards the end he just managed to score a ridiculous 17 goals from 45 shots in the first half of the season which bailed us out. Our midfield and defense were good for most of the season but our front 3 have never been right even in the first half of the season and we need to fix that next season, theyre not a coherent unit, we've pretty much been playing 3 individuals up front all season and expected the creativity to come just from our midfield and fullbacks

I agree, but more creativity should have come from our midfield, very low amount of assists from Maddison and Tielemans this season considering their role in the squad.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

For some people who seem to be panicking that the club is being slow on the transfer movement-front, the current transfer window closes on 5th October..

Fair point but the season starts on the 12th of September..... You feel good about the team that finished the season starting a new one? 

2 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I agree, but more creativity should have come from our midfield, very low amount of assists from Maddison and Tielemans this season considering their role in the squad.

I think if we fix the front 3 then more creativity will come from our midfield naturally. I think perez takes up positions that tielemans would like to take up a lot of the time, if we get a proper rw who plays wider tielemans will hopefully be able to operate in his preferred areas. In maddison's case i think he plays wide too much, when we push into the final third him and barnes seem to switch positions which doesnt really suit them, i think rodgers does it to make use of maddison's crossing ability but it doesnt really work. Also there is the problem of maddison shooting too much when there's a pass on which hopefully he can improve.

Basically if we make our front 3 more of a creative threat than just a goalscoring threat hopefully it will allow more room for our midfield to be more creative as well.

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

I think if we fix the front 3 then more creativity will come from our midfield naturally. I think perez takes up positions that tielemans would like to take up a lot of the time, if we get a proper rw who plays wider tielemans will hopefully be able to operate in his preferred areas. In maddison's case i think he plays wide too much, when we push into the final third him and barnes seem to switch positions which doesnt really suit them, i think rodgers does it to make use of maddison's crossing ability but it doesnt really work. Also there is the problem of maddison shooting too much when there's a pass on which hopefully he can improve.

Basically if we make our front 3 more of a creative threat than just a goalscoring threat hopefully it will allow more room for our midfield to be more creative as well.

Maybe. I hope that whatever the problem is, Rodgers is capable of solving it.

8 hours ago, murphy said:

Of course hindsight.  I'm aware that I'm derailing this and my original point was that we need leaders but if you want to retrospectively judge our end of season failings, of course you will be using hindsight.  Not sure what your point is.

Of all the people I expected to react to this, you weren't one of them Murphy.

i just tire of people giving it the 'it was obvious that' line of argument, as if they knew at the time what was going to ensue.

A good shout for CB / Defensive Midfielder would be Philipp Lienhart (24) from SC Freiburg.  The last CB we got from there turned out OK.  Would cost half a Tarkowski.  

Spent some years at Real Madrid.  Played at every level for the Austrian National Team.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

A good shout for CB / Defensive Midfielder would be Philipp Lienhart (24) from SC Freiburg.  The last CB we got from there turned out OK.  Would cost half a Tarkowski.  

Spent some years at Real Madrid.  Played at every level for the Austrian National Team.  

He's got a very patriotic name too...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, HighPeakFox said:

Of all the people I expected to react to this, you weren't one of them Murphy.

i just tire of people giving it the 'it was obvious that' line of argument, as if they knew at the time what was going to ensue.

OK, but the hindsight thing threw me.  Hindsight is really something that people tend to claim was predictable only after the event.  I made no such claims.  In fact I never saw it coming.  Also, I thought I took pains to say 'in my opinion' more than once.  It was not my intention to come across as stating obvious facts, just an opinion, as the full reasons for it will never truly be known I suppose.

8 minutes ago, murphy said:

OK, but the hindsight thing threw me.  Hindsight is really something that people tend to claim was predictable only after the event.  I made no such claims.  In fact I never saw it coming.  Also, I thought I took pains to say 'in my opinion' more than once.  It was not my intention to come across as stating obvious facts, just an opinion, as the full reasons for it will never truly be known I suppose.

It really wasn't aimed at you at all fella. 

13 minutes ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

You can have Jack Hendry from us if you really want, a snip at £15m, Congerton is a big fan :P

May as well try and coax Rafael Scheidt out of retirement! Or maybe even Cha du ri for the best football chant of all time and some smiley own goals!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Anyone for Deulofeu? 

Hell no. 

He's unplayable every ten games and then just guff the rest. 

That curling lob from a standing position against Wolves in the cup was one of the my favourite goals of the last few years. 

But he's just ****ing bang average so often. 

• Like 1