Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

31 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Quite revolting that actual people (although I strongly doubt this) could refer to someone who they don't know, but based on a social media post, in such a way.

Which bit are you strongly doubting?

This goes back a lot longer than those tweets from JK, she has been questioned for a while on why she likes and retweets views of terfs (trans exclusionary radical feminists) this not a first offence. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-apology-terfs-transgender-tweet-accidental-paste-a9540031.html some previous offences.

There is no justifying the comments, but Twitter is a self fulfilling cesspool of hate that can drag down even the most level headed of people in real life. Lashing out on Twitter is just a race to the bottom.

The tweet itself my seem like nothing to you, but it is deliberately picking apart trans-inclusive language, which was also highly accurate as the article was specifically about people who menstruate, and making fun of it seeking to undermine the issues faced by trans-men who still menstruate. It's those little bits of bigotry from people who should know better that make people angry. Nobody gives a shit what hate the likes of Tommy Robinson spout, it's almost a badge of honour to be hated by him. This is a hugely successful highly intelligent woman who has done a huge amount for women and feminists and influenced millions of children's lives. She is risking all of that credibility because she gets triggered by trans inclusive language on a matter that should be important to her.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Literally no one has ever said this. 

Course they haven’t. Literally seen it plenty of times myself in the last few days.  

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

I understand your point but I disagree. Right now this is more important, this is the biggest single step forward in addressing racial inequalities I have seen in my lifetime. There have been tangible changes in policies, in business, in culture. There is some real momentum behind this movement globally. Normally an unarmed black person dies at the hands of the police and there's a bit of protest a few days of news then on to the next thing. One of the big reasons why this is getting so much traction is there is no other thing, no news, except covid-19 stats, no sport, no celebrity gossip. It is a unique moment in time when all focus is on this one issue and it is having huge impact. This cannot wait until we have eliminated coronavirus the mitigated risks are worth the reward while the majority of people are protesting with masks and keeping social distancing where possible. 

Not saying it’s not important at all, actively stated I support the BLM movement. But, at the end of the day, both groups flouted the current laws. Whether people like that or not. It’s fact. Just because one thing is more important than others doesn’t make it ok, does it? Sadly for me, until all parties can stop being racist, this will never be eradicated. Believe it or not, white people can be racism victims, something else that gets brushed under the carpet, because trust me it goes on. The amount of times I’ve heard “How can i be racist, I’m <insert race etc> is astonishing. I’ve seen people of mixed race actively encourage other mixed race people to only use mixed race shops and products. Is that not racist? 

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Which bit are you strongly doubting?

This goes back a lot longer than those tweets from JK, she has been questioned for a while on why she likes and retweets views of terfs (trans exclusionary radical feminists) this not a first offence. https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-apology-terfs-transgender-tweet-accidental-paste-a9540031.html some previous offences.

There is no justifying the comments, but Twitter is a self fulfilling cesspool of hate that can drag down even the most level headed of people in real life. Lashing out on Twitter is just a race to the bottom.

The tweet itself my seem like nothing to you, but it is deliberately picking apart trans-inclusive language, which was also highly accurate as the article was specifically about people who menstruate, and making fun of it seeking to undermine the issues faced by trans-men who still menstruate. It's those little bits of bigotry from people who should know better that make people angry. Nobody gives a shit what hate the likes of Tommy Robinson spout, it's almost a badge of honour to be hated by him. This is a hugely successful highly intelligent woman who has done a huge amount for women and feminists and influenced millions of children's lives. She is risking all of that credibility because she gets triggered by trans inclusive language on a matter that should be important to her.

I made no judgements on her opinions nor others ability to query them, but the choice of dialog is unsavoury and unnecessary. It does not convey passion, nor righteousness, if anything it curses the cause for which it purports to stand.

Hopefully Robinson's lot and Antifa wipe eachother out. 

As for Netflix/BBC Could they not have amended the Little Britain / Come Fly With Me episodes to remove the Blackface sketches? Mind you, I'm pretty sure they had an actual minstrel sketch too and most sketches would be perceived to be offensive by one community or another. Sorry state of affairs when they're gone, but Mrs Browns Boys reigns supreme. In all seriousness, I'm amazed that they got away with blackface in 2010. Just goes to show social media's influence.

I find the lines a little blurry when Leigh Francis apologises for portraying black characters, yet any animated series could portray black celebrities as much as they wanted to. 

Whilst some of the sketches are very outdated, it's little wonder that there aren't any good new sitcoms. Anything that gets shouted at is forced to be taken down. Obviously I don't want to see new TV shows with blackface, but I don't know where you draw the line.

Even shows such as Friends contains sentences that would be lambasted in this era. I just wish that they wouldn't give in so easily and explain that they were of a certain time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I made no judgements on her opinions nor others ability to query them, but the choice of dialog is unsavoury and unnecessary. It does not convey passion, nor righteousness, if anything it curses the cause for which it purports to stand.

I don't disagree, just adding some context it's not just the tweets of a few days ago this has been bubbling under for some time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Can I ask why are you trying to undermine a black sports stars opinion on race?

Was he undermining or pointing out that when cash is involved a companies history doesn't matter. He drives Hitlers favourite brand of car dress in suits by the same company that designed the SS uniform. He has every right to an opinion as does Captain. If we are pulling down stuff associated with Slavery then say good bye to the Colosseum in Rome and the Pyramids in Egypt.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Hopefully Robinson's lot and Antifa wipe eachother out. 

Sorry to pick on your post, it depends if you believe Antifa is an actual thing in the UK. 

There's been numerous groups as such as Anti-Nazi League etc. 

They had running battles in the 80s with the NF and BNP. When the EDL marches became a thing, Unite Against Facism laid on counter-protests and as we all saw in Leicester October 2010. It's been held as some new trend when it's just been constant occasions of the same people fighting against the same people. 

I think as well that what social media has done as made something which is a minority always seem like something more. For example, the majority of this country complied with lockdown - but you won't find pictures of them inside their homes. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Thanks 1

Just now, twoleftfeet said:

Was he undermining or pointing out that when cash is involved a companies history doesn't matter. He drives Hitlers favourite brand of car dress in suits by the same company that designed the SS uniform. He has every right to an opinion as does Captain. If we are pulling down stuff associated with Slavery then say good bye to the Colosseum in Rome and the Pyramids in Egypt.  

I'm hoping he will answer for himself, but thanks for your input. I would be very careful expressing the opinion that Mercedes, Hugo Boss, Puma are racist symbols lawyers might come knocking. Whatever past they might have they are currently modern inclusive brands which have apologised for their past.

1 minute ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

Nobody’s undermining his opinion.

For one thing it is massively hypocritical to demand the removal of all racist symbols, while representing a manufacturer of Nazi vehicles. 

How can you not understand that?

Are you saying Mercedes is a racist symbol?

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Sorry to pick on your post, it depends if you believe Antifa is an actual thing in the UK. 

There's been numerous groups as such as Anti-Nazi League etc. 

They had running battles in the 80s with the NF and BNP. When the EDL marches became a thing, Unite Against Facism laid on counter-protests and as we all saw in Leicester October 2010. It's been held as some new trend when it's just been constant occasions of the same people fighting against the same people. 

I think as well that what social media has done as made something which is a minority always seem like something more. For example, the majority of this country complied with lockdown - but you won't find pictures of them inside their homes. 

It was more of a generalisation to be honest, I just meant the black hoodie clad mob that were throwing things at police. 

That said I saw that a couple holding German Antifa flag was pictured by Radio Leicester in the Clock Tower demonstration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nuneatonfox in Manchester said:

No of course not, I didn’t say that did I. Looking for a law suit are you?  

Just trying to understand why Lewis Hamilton can't have an opinion on the removal of racist symbols.

21 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

I'd say that removing a statue of a person who directly and massively profited from slavery is not the same as removing the objects that slaves built.

Honestly, (and this isn't personal as it's happening a lot), I probably should copy-paste "strawman fallacy" and "slippery slope fallacy" somewhere to make responses faster on this thread because there seem to be so many of both being used.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Just trying to understand why Lewis Hamilton can't have an opinion on the removal of racist symbols.

He can but people can point out the hyprocrisy.

he's also a tax exile .....brought up in Stevenage in a modest family but now doesn't contribute taxes to help those in a similar situation or more deprived. Its within his rights to do it but dont be upset when people point it out.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Bert said:

Not saying it’s not important at all, actively stated I support the BLM movement. But, at the end of the day, both groups flouted the current laws. Whether people like that or not. It’s fact. Just because one thing is more important than others doesn’t make it ok, does it? Sadly for me, until all parties can stop being racist, this will never be eradicated. Believe it or not, white people can be racism victims, something else that gets brushed under the carpet, because trust me it goes on. The amount of times I’ve heard “How can i be racist, I’m <insert race etc> is astonishing. I’ve seen people of mixed race actively encourage other mixed race people to only use mixed race shops and products. Is that not racist? 

First of all, no honest person is calling people racist for lack of social distancing at protests 😂 

Second of all, you can’t claim to support BLM and then in the same paragraph say ‘until all parties can stop being racist, this will never be eradicated’

and third of all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more rubbish than that last sentence. In what world do you live where there are mixed race shops? and please can you point me to them?

Moving back to the topic of racial bias in the US (which is what this all started about, after all)...

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/racism-polls/

This is an interesting read. Have a look, for instance, at how many white people polled in the US think the criminal justice system does not treat white people better when there is copious evidence to the contrary.

13 minutes ago, January47 said:

He can but people can point out the hyprocrisy.

he's also a tax exile .....brought up in Stevenage in a modest family but now doesn't contribute taxes to help those in a similar situation or more deprived. Its within his rights to do it but dont be upset when people point it out.

What hypocrisy? 

Or are you saying Mercedes, Puma and Hugo Boss are racist?

Agree with the tax thing, he is greedy and selfish. 

48 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Pyramids in Egypt....Please Keep out of the discussion....!!! Nothing Shows that in this period Slaves were used,but proven most of the workers,including the

Labourers,were workers experienced & qualified....Hollywood introduced the whipping...!!!

Plus...how much & many  European including British,Businesses abuse/use modern low level workers on below Minimum Wages for  locals & immigrants,some in ramshackle Living quarters...or in the NHS/other employees having written in Contracts or being told Not to Report Working discrepencies isnt that also slavery...!!!

And slavery,should be adjudged & criticised within its own terms & history.

Racism is often on another plain,though even more abhorable when slavery is based alone upon the ideology  on racism...

• Like 1