Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

38 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Guessing I'll never again get to see films like Tropic Thunder, Trading Places and Short Circuit. (Not too bothered about Short Circuit actually).

25 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Breakfast at Tiffany's.

White Chicks

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Coventry promotion party currently going on, doesn't look to be much social distancing happening...

*awaits comments about their lack of fans so they are always social distancing*

Cant see the problem.... i thought it was fine for families to be together

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nnfox said:

Yes.  I'm getting confused now.  To begin with it was disgust at racist police brutality in America, then it was police brutality here, then it was our history, then our monuments, now it's comedy. 

I know there's reason for resentment because of all of the above but we can't change history. We can only work in the present to bring change in the future.  What, specifically, needs to change? Let's talk about that and start taking action.

It's a frustrating thing, to see the message being lost in the way that it is. If I didn't know any better, it's been done so well that I would suspect it was deliberate, because the folks that would much rather have the entire cause discredited are getting exactly what they want.

The thing these people are really angry at, Capitalism, is weakened and vulnerable right now. 

Sadly, it looks like the change to impact some real change is going to be missed in lieu of pulling down some totems and causing a bit of damage. 

Smash the symbol after the state. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Hmm.  That's a bit of an over-simplification.

In the 60/70/80's, the BBC was definitely pro-establishment, non-liberal, centre-right leaning.

Once the 60's cultural revolution generation got the main jobs at the BBC, its "moral compass" has slowly drifted across.

Now it's definitely more in the anti-establishment, liberal, centre-left leaning camp.   You might say that it's just pay-back time.

I honestly don't see how anyone can deny that.   It's political sympathies and sensibilities are broadly in step with The Guardian.

The only people who seriously believe the BBC is right wing, are those on the hard left.  And their opinion is no more valid, than someone on the hard right.

The other people who mischievously claim the BBC is 'right wing' are just doing it as deliberate smoke screen to confuse people.

In this liberal/PC world we live in, you might say it's a good thing that the BBC reflects the views of the younger generation.

But please don't insult our intelligence by trying to deny, what is blatantly obvious.

I’ll insult your intelligence then.

The Guardian doesn’t have Andrew Neil or Nigel Farage or Aaron Banks or Sebastian Gorka or Brendan O’Neill writing in it does it? It doesn’t have Tom Harwood from the blog Guido Fawkes guessing on its news for opinion pieces. They have all appeared or host on the BBC politics programmes. All from a right wing opinion. 

I haven’t even said it’s right wing, I have said it’s balanced . It’s balanced who it employs to manage that programme to as illustrated by its recently employed Director General. 

You are doing a human reaction to view something which is against your view and only seeing that. We create our own echo chambers. 

And again the BBC doesn’t stop and start at its political programming (here’s my real bone with the defund the BBC folk) Radio 4 is hardly some bastion of left wing opinion is it? Equally Radio 6 is hardly a right wing institution. 

BBC alter their output to its audience. That we have this debate about its political programming being ‘left wing’ or ‘right wing’ means its most likely balanced because it has guests illustrating all political opinions 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, foxile5 said:

The thing these people are really angry at, Capitalism, is weakened and vulnerable right now. 

Sadly, it looks like the change to impact some real change is going to be missed in lieu of pulling down some totems and causing a bit of damage. 

Smash the symbol after the state. 

Covid-19 has shown us that capitalism in it's current form is completely unsustainable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Blue-fox said:

I don’t know what to make of any of it anymore if I’m honest. The country’s lost its marbles. 

Removing stuff off of bbc iplayer is tokenism really, it's to show that they've 'listened' and done something about racism. But it's very superficial and effectively pointless.

The bigger issues are more systematic in terms of economics and social mobility, if we really want to see societal change then unfortunately it's not going to happen overnight.

13 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Coventry promotion party currently going on, doesn't look to be much social distancing happening...

*awaits comments about their lack of fans so they are always social distancing*

There wasn’t much social distancing with all of the BLM protests either. Although I guess if people are to question that, they’d be called racist. 

Please note I fully support the BLM movement, just not the protests that currently flout the government guidelines. 

• Like 3

Just as a side note, the misunderstanding of George Orwell's 1984 is starting to drive me insane. 

Perhaps I've been getting it wrong all these years, but I always thought that in the book history was rewritten from the beginning of time in order to negate the experience that the oppressed felt and the worrying repercussions of government overreach. A better example of which would therefore be how colonialism isn't taught in schools. 

Seems a shame to me that all these new found Orwell fans don't dive further into his work and develop a desire to help the homeless as a result of Down and Out in Paris in London perhaps. Maybe they could look into Burmese Days, which they may end up interpreting as an illustration our wonderful work abroad. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Just as a side note, the misunderstanding of George Orwell's 1984 is starting to drive me insane. 

Perhaps I've been getting it wrong all these years, but I always thought that in the book history was rewritten from the beginning of time in order to negate the experience that the oppressed felt and the worrying repercussions of government overreach. A better example of which would therefore be how colonialism isn't taught in schools. 

Seems a shame to me that all these new found Orwell fans don't dive further into his work and develop a desire to help the homeless as a result of Down and Out in Paris in London perhaps. Maybe they could look into Burmese Days, which they may end up interpreting as an illustration our wonderful work abroad. 

The misunderstanding is a deliberate slippery slope fallacy.

• Like 1

I’ve just been sent a video of Tommy Robinson calling on people to go to London this weekend to ‘defend’ our statues. 
If this gains traction, the country is ****ed and division will be further than ever :nono:

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

I’ve just been sent a video of Tommy Robinson calling on people to go to London this weekend to ‘defend’ our statues. 
If this gains traction, the country is ****ed and division will be further than ever :nono:

He's so daft! 

Who are they defending them from? Nobody is going to attack or take down a Churchill statue, a Nelson statue etc.

The statues that are being taken down are of slave traders that 99% of people have never heard of. They mean nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strokes said:

He's a pleb. Short-sighted, arrogant, dickhead that just adds fuel to fires with outrageously controversial statements every now and then. He's the catalyst for literally anyone to respond to a genuine issue with 'what about the grooming gangs?!' 

He angers me so much. I know he shouldn't but I hate everything about him. 

21 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I understand your point but I disagree. Right now this is more important, this is the biggest single step forward in addressing racial inequalities I have seen in my lifetime. There have been tangible changes in policies, in business, in culture. There is some real momentum behind this movement globally. Normally an unarmed black person dies at the hands of the police and there's a bit of protest a few days of news then on to the next thing. One of the big reasons why this is getting so much traction is there is no other thing, no news, except covid-19 stats, no sport, no celebrity gossip. It is a unique moment in time when all focus is on this one issue and it is having huge impact. This cannot wait until we have eliminated coronavirus the mitigated risks are worth the reward while the majority of people are protesting with masks and keeping social distancing where possible. 

Agree with this. I think it hits home when you speak to people who have suffered racist abuse, and how it can mean so little to the perpetrators who subtly slip remarks out not realising the weight they carried. I was speaking to someone recently who was part of the team GB setup and was a high level athlete in their youth, and they told me of a time they were racially abused, in a very casual manner whilst training in front of a host of fellow competitors at a youth event by the coach of their team (they were subsequently fired), this resulted in then giving up their sport, because they felt unwelcome, unwanted and unaccepted for nothing more than the colour of their skin. That was in our life time, the fact that someone has to be subjected to something like that and at the age they were is unforgivable. This is precisely why the protests are going ahead, this is why there has been such a collective attempt to get this moving, and make the hierarchy listen.