Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

6 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Clearly, yes. However, I am somewhat fed up of the countless Tory Brexiteers complaining about everyone being against them when the evidence clearly suggest that it's utter horse s*it. Imagine getting Brexit, whenever that may be, having the largest majority Government in decades and still thinking that the world and his wife are against you, it's utter nonsense and so so tiresome to see.

Social media has given so many people a complex because they surround themselves by like-minded people and then when they see news stories that doesn't suit the agenda of them and their followers they assume that the world has gone mad and the entirety of the media is against them, in spite of the fact that most of the most circulated newspapers in Britain are largely on their side. I have been just as bad in the past, but I try to not engage where possible and follow as many conflicting news outlets, politicians, commentators etc as possible. Sure I end up getting annoyed by the likes of Priti Patel and Guido Fawkes, but it helps to give me far greater balance and understanding, even if I almost never agree with them. 

This latest craze about the BBC and media gets me. The media are a mirror of their consumers. You don’t watch, you don’t read, it changes 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Clearly, yes. However, I am somewhat fed up of the countless Tory Brexiteers complaining about everyone being against them when the evidence clearly suggest that it's utter horse s*it. Imagine getting Brexit, whenever that may be, having the largest majority Government in decades and still thinking that the world and his wife are against you, it's utter nonsense and so so tiresome to see.

Social media has given so many people a complex because they surround themselves by like-minded people and then when they see news stories that doesn't suit the agenda of them and their followers they assume that the world has gone mad and the entirety of the media is against them, in spite of the fact that most of the most circulated newspapers in Britain are largely on their side. I have been just as bad in the past, but I try to not engage where possible and follow as many conflicting news outlets, politicians, commentators etc as possible. Sure I end up getting annoyed by the likes of Priti Patel and Guido Fawkes, but it helps to give me far greater balance and understanding, even if I almost never agree with them. 

It's about a combination of things rather than Lewis Hamilton talking bollocks, it's got nothing to do with Tory Brexiteers (I have no idea where that's come from) 2 of the lads I know who are taking a break from social media have no interest in politics nor Brexit, they're just fed up of the constantly negativity which drains on your mental health after seeing and hearing about it everyday, which is what I meant in my original post. I wrote the 3 things seperately because I thought they were 3 seperate issues, country is arguing amongst itself in the middle of a pandemic, with clashes being expected this weekend. Celebs virtue signalling while doing the complete opposite (as usual) of what they're asking others to do. And finally because of all the negativity and toxic stuff around at the moment, it's starting to get to people and they are taking breaks from social media.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's about a combination of things rather than Lewis Hamilton talking bollocks, it's got nothing to do with Tory Brexiteers (I have no idea where that's come from) 2 of the lads I know who are taking a break from social media have no interest in politics nor Brexit, they're just fed up of the constantly negativity which drains on your mental health after seeing and hearing about it everyday, which is what I meant in my original post. I wrote the 3 things seperately because I thought they were 3 seperate issues, country is arguing amongst itself in the middle of a pandemic, with clashes being expected this weekend. Celebs virtue signalling while doing the complete opposite (as usual) of what they're asking others to do. And finally because of all the negativity and toxic stuff around at the moment, it's starting to get to people and they are taking breaks from social media.

I don't know what's happening but I find myself agreeing with you more and more often. lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

This latest craze about the BBC and media gets me. The media are a mirror of their consumers. You don’t watch, you don’t read, it changes 

Absolutely. I do laugh anytime i'm listening to 5Live in the morning and they will receive two lots of emails after interviewing anyone from either party with one lot saying that the liberal elite has taken over the BBC and the other calling them right-wing apologists. You have to laugh, otherwise you'd go mad I think. 

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I brought up the Government and Brexit on the basis of your comment stating that the country is ****ed and made a tongue in cheek comment about if you feel that way, as a centre right Brexiteer (from what I can gather), imagine how a left of centre remainer feels about our country. I didn't think it was that much of a jump?

Totally agree with social media having a negative effect on ones mental health, but I also find that social media is what you make of it to an extent. I've got one account that I've had for a decade on Twitter that I tweet from and occasionally get involved with pointless debates on that leave me feeling a little down/hopeless about the state of the world, and another where I only follow sports/film/arts/comedy etc and that's never had any negative impact on me. There are a myriad of ways to keep up to date with current affairs that don't involve reading with Bob, Karen and Dave think about it. 

As I initially alluded to, if celebs speaking nonsense, something that they've been doing for decades, is one of your biggest bug bears then that's easily solved. 

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That's not strictly true though, is it? it's not quite as easy as that.

The media, especially print media, will more often than not try to influence, rather reflect opinion. 

And as for your second point, I've not bought a newspaper for about 20 years, but it's still difficult to escape people posting Guardian links on a football forum. :ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Maybe they should knock down the pyramids then, after all they were built using African slaves. Then we could get rid of Trafalgar square as it is a symbol of British power through the 18th and 19th centuries and Nelson was a defender of slavery. What about the Colosseum, built by 60000 Jewish slaves and were then fed to the lions and gladiators. Or how about we don't try to hide our history and leave the statues and memorials where they are and use them in an educational sense and then let people decide what that statue represents. In 2000 years time, when some archaeologist  drags that statue out of Bristol docks, they won't give a damn about whether he was a slaver or not, they'll be more interested in the history of it.

Whilst we're at it ... why not repatriate all the white people out of America and Australia?

Their presence must be an offensive daily reminder to those, whose ancestors had their land stolen.

And whilst we're at it, what the **** are we Anglo-Saxons doing in Britain?    Move us all back to Europe ...   

18 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d say the BBC is probably watched by older people who are more likely to be right wing, vote Conservative and/or Brexit, that’s not an unfair assumption right? BBC employees are likely to be media (or other related degrees) graduates working in Salford or London, which is natural and unavoidable to some degree. The BBC certainly isn’t pro-Brexit (as somebody that would rather remain) and isn’t changing to reflect it’s viewership. No matter how independent an institution there’s going to be some traces of bias.

A public broadcaster isn’t the same as typical print media where it dies have to change to suit it’s readerships. I don’t agree with people saying defund their BBC btw, I think it’s childish.

Defund the Police is such a stupid slogan because the people propagating don’t even mean it but then get defensive when people (obviously) misunderstand it 

34 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Whilst we're at it ... why not repatriate all the white people out of America and Australia?

Their presence must be an offensive daily reminder to those, whose ancestors had their land stolen.

And whilst we're at it, what the **** are we Anglo-Saxons doing in Britain?    Move us all back to Europe ...   

Doesnt go far enough, we need to kick out the Beaker Folk too.

5 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Not wanting to make light of the matter but damn there’s some over singing going on at the George Floyd funeral 

It’s all a bit ...  wow ! ...  tbh ...

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

Maybe they should knock down the pyramids then, after all they were built using African slaves. Then we could get rid of Trafalgar square as it is a symbol of British power through the 18th and 19th centuries and Nelson was a defender of slavery. What about the Colosseum, built by 60000 Jewish slaves and were then fed to the lions and gladiators. Or how about we don't try to hide our history and leave the statues and memorials where they are and use them in an educational sense and then let people decide what that statue represents. In 2000 years time, when some archaeologist  drags that statue out of Bristol docks, they won't give a damn about whether he was a slaver or not, they'll be more interested in the history of it.

Spot on to be fair, can’t argue with that. Particularly like your point about in 2000 years time.... all the statues removed might be dragged back out, as the Britain’s could argue that their history has been repressed. We’ve got to be careful with how we go about this, you can’t just demand we change everything, take all of these statues down just settle an argument, because in 2000 years time they may go back up, representing something else entirely. We can’t apologise for our history, but like you say we can learn from it. But I think tolerance will start to diminish is the vandalism of statues a bit closer to the brits hearts continue.... 

9 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Little Britain and Come Fly with me both axed from Netflix and Iplayer! Are these really that offensive? 

Black face is pretty offensive to a lot of people I guess. Never really understood why a comedy made in the 21st century used it. 

50 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Little Britain and Come Fly with me both axed from Netflix and Iplayer! Are these really that offensive? 

So wrong. I can remember watching love thy neighbor when i was young, if that was on now they'd probably be riots in the street but the whole point of it was to make humor of racist stereo typing. I saw an interview with Rudolph Walker and he basically said the key to getting rid of racism is to laugh about it, then no-ones upset. Here's what Linford Christie, who i might add is not an idiot, had to say about it.

The British runner cites the controversial sitcom Love thy Neighbour – now frowned upon for its overt use of derogatory racist terms – as one of his favourite shows when growing up. Apparently the future running ace and his whole family simply roared with laughter.

So why did they like a show where the main (incessant) gag was unreconstructed factory worker Eddie’s bigoted dislike of black neighbour and colleague Bill?

Christie tells host Brian Conley that he and his family loved “the jokes” on the show and names it as his “family favourite”.

“The way the programme was it was a black guy [Rudolph Walker] and a white guy [Jack Smethurst] and they just throw insults at each other. We wouldn’t be allowed to show it now. It’s not PC. [But] in those days people didn’t care, people just watched things for what it was. We enjoyed it.”

Asked by Conley if it was racist, Christie replied: “No, not at all. In those days it was a big thing for the whole family to sit together. In those days there weren’t many black people on TV. They allowed the Black and White Minstrels at the time and I supposed that was a lot worse. We thought it was fun and it was, I suppose, good banter.”

He added that he – and his Dad – would “still watch” the show now.

45 minutes ago, bovril said:

Black face is pretty offensive to a lot of people I guess. Never really understood why a comedy made in the 21st century used it. 

I'm trying to remember how much of a fuss was made of it at the time, if any 

It's quite a few years ago now but falls well inside the period in which black face would he considered problematic; maybe it was seen as being postmodern or something.

This is from a similar era and it still makes me laugh, but I'm guessing it wouldn't happen now. If you're not familiar with it you'll soon work out which bit might be contentious:

The comic point of this, I assume, is not to mock people of colour, but as a white person commenting on another white person putting make up on to look darker skinned, whether I think it's alright seems neither here nor there

23 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Coventry promotion party currently going on, doesn't look to be much social distancing happening...

*awaits comments about their lack of fans so they are always social distancing*

Nah I'll go with 'they're diseased enough so COVID won't really affect them' :ph34r: