Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

46 minutes ago, Captain... said:

What hypocrisy? 

Or are you saying Mercedes, Puma and Hugo Boss are racist?

Agree with the tax thing, he is greedy and selfish. 

I don’t think anyone is saying those companies are racist now, but they have certainly profited in the past from their support of racist organisations. Much the same as some people that have statues or buildings named after them for their achievements, but have profited either directly or indirectly from racism in the past.

If we are going to have this conversation, all companies, people should be included in the conversation. 
Now is a great time to start talking about who has profited from their less the clean past and how we should view them. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Captain... said:

What hypocrisy? 

Or are you saying Mercedes, Puma and Hugo Boss are racist?

Agree with the tax thing, he is greedy and selfish. 

Well Daimler-Benz (Mercedes) made tanks, gun and aero engines for the Nazi war machine......although they probably didn't get much choice to be honest.

23 minutes ago, January47 said:

Well Daimler-Benz (Mercedes) made tanks, gun and aero engines for the Nazi war machine......although they probably didn't get much choice to be honest.

Kept the badge to remind everyone though, as did bmw

2 hours ago, Captain... said:

Can I ask why are you trying to undermine a black sports stars opinion on race?

Not trying to undermine him at all. I'm a big fan of his.

I suppose my point is that the further we go down this road the more crossed the wires are going to be and EVERYTHING is going to have to be searched with a fine tooth comb to make sure they've never done anything sinister. 

2 hours ago, LCFCbwoi said:

First of all, no honest person is calling people racist for lack of social distancing at protests 😂 

Second of all, you can’t claim to support BLM and then in the same paragraph say ‘until all parties can stop being racist, this will never be eradicated’

and third of all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen more rubbish than that last sentence. In what world do you live where there are mixed race shops? and please can you point me to them?

Imagine trying to go in on me with how you’ve spelt “boy”. 

There’s plenty of Caribbean shops in Leicester. Anthony Joshua read out a statement on behalf of someone else saying that they should only be buying from shops of their own heritage. 

So I can’t claim to not want to see people of different racial backgrounds to me not get discriminated against? Ok, cool. The fact is, a lot of these people are racist themselves. Whether you like that or not, it’s truth. I know plenty of people that will happily call someone a white bastard but the moment they’re being racially abused, there’s uproar. 

I also never said that anyone was calling people racist for lack of social distancing at protests. If you can find me where I’ve said that, that would be fantastic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twoleftfeet said:

If we are pulling down stuff associated with Slavery then say good bye to the Colosseum in Rome and the Pyramids in Egypt.  

No proof slaves were used for the creation of the Pyramids. In fact if you do the research you’ll find most of the evidence suggests the people involved were paid labourers :thumbup:.

Cleopatra lived closer in time to the creation of the iPhone than to the creation of the Pyramids. Which goes to show how ancient the history of these structures truly are.

The day the pyramids are destroyed is the day a piece of humanity is lost.

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shane said:

Cleopatra lived closer in time to the creation of the iPhone than to the creation of the Pyramids. Which goes to show how ancient the history of these structures truly are.

That's a good line (and true - I had to double-check).

I shall nick that one and use it to impress people on social occasions.

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Climate change had already shown us that, hadn't it? Yet humanity, capitalism, consumption and resource depletion have ploughed on - with change only at an inadequate level.

In theory, the Covid-19 shock does present an opportunity to rethink how capitalism operates worldwide or even how society is organised.

In practice, I fear that the changes made will only be of a kind to help globalised capitalism to operate profitably in the Covid/post-Covid era - maybe a bit more reluctance to depend on international supply chains, more health protection, more working from home etc. Big global capital is so central not only to the economic system, but to consumption-driven employment and lifestyles - not to mention its enormous influence over democratic politics through economic power, lobbying, donations etc. I can imagine there being some changes due to Covid - and some people who completely change their lives - but I struggle to imagine systemic change resulting.

I hope opportunities to rethink things are taken, but am not optimistic. Look at the desire of the ultra-capitalist govts (US, UK, Brazil), to varying degrees, to get back to work making money ASAP - or the mining corporation in Australia destroying ancient sites so as to dig vast wealth out of the rock of the earth....

Since the lockdown relaxation the number of cyclists I see has plummeted as the number of cars has shot back up to near normal levels. Well near me.

I think as we get back to normal a very high percentage of people will quietly and smoothly drift back into all the long establish lifestyles. In fact many probably can't wait to do so.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davieG said:

Since the lockdown relaxation the number of cyclists I see has plummeted as the number of cars has shot back up to near normal levels. Well near me.

I think as we get back to normal a very high percentage of people will quietly and smoothly drift back into all the long establish lifestyles. In fact many probably can't wait to do so.

This is regrettably true, and cyclists are a tough sell. I understand that cyclists generally go much slower than cars, but f##k me, it’s like 10 seconds you have to wait. lol

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

There was one in Leicester, which still has the sign up.

Believe that it closed many years ago and has been left abandoned ever since. 

If I remember correctly, a homeless person was found dead inside the property not too long ago.

9 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

If I remember correctly, a homeless person was found dead inside the property not too long ago.

Can't get planning for student accommodation as it has listed elements of the building. I'm told it's interior is of particular historical interest.

• Like 1

When slavery is mentioned, too many people automatically think of whites enslaving blacks. That is not even one-tenth of the story of slavery, which existed on every inhabited continent.

The very word "slave" derives from the word for some white people who were enslaved on a mass scale—the Slavs—for more centuries than blacks were enslaved in the Western Hemisphere.

Thomas Sewell

5 minutes ago, iniesta said:

When slavery is mentioned, too many people automatically think of whites enslaving blacks. That is not even one-tenth of the story of slavery, which existed on every inhabited continent.

The very word "slave" derives from the word for some white people who were enslaved on a mass scale—the Slavs—for more centuries than blacks were enslaved in the Western Hemisphere.

Thomas Sewell

That may be true, but ultimately a lot of slavery has become lost in history and realistically, plays little to no role in our modern society. You’re going to find it hard to find a descendant of an Egyptian slave in the 21st Century, because any political or socioeconomic impact of their ancestors being slaves is lost to history

Chattel Slavery last left a still relevant impact of modern society. The demographics of the Caribbean, and through immigration the Afro-Caribbean population of the UK, are a legacy from that. In African-American’s case that’s even more so. 

Even if statistically it’s attributed 1/10th of all slavery ever committed, in the modern socioeconomic, cultural it’s impact is immeasurable in American & European society 

37 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

26 minutes ago, kenny said:

Can't get planning for student accommodation as it has listed elements of the building. I'm told it's interior is of particular historical interest.

I thought I remembered one in Leicester, but I never had a beer in there. It'll probably open as another boozer or something eventually if they can't turn it into student flats.

8 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

That may be true, but ultimately a lot of slavery has become lost in history and realistically, plays little to no role in our modern society. You’re going to find it hard to find a descendant of an Egyptian slave in the 21st Century, because any political or socioeconomic impact of their ancestors being slaves is lost to history

Chattel Slavery last left a still relevant impact of modern society. The demographics of the Caribbean, and through immigration the Afro-Caribbean population of the UK, are a legacy from that. In African-American’s case that’s even more so. 

Even if statistically it’s attributed 1/10th of all slavery ever committed, in the modern socioeconomic, cultural it’s impact is immeasurable in American & European society 

As somebody with Slavic roots, would I not be entitled to find this historical whitewashing in bad taste?

43 minutes ago, iniesta said:

Thomas Sewell

All slavery is barbaric and inhuman and a stain on our collective history. And I would fully support the removal of any statues of people who enslaved white people too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bert said:

Imagine trying to go in on me with how you’ve spelt “boy”. 

There’s plenty of Caribbean shops in Leicester. Anthony Joshua read out a statement on behalf of someone else saying that they should only be buying from shops of their own heritage. 

So I can’t claim to not want to see people of different racial backgrounds to me not get discriminated against? Ok, cool. The fact is, a lot of these people are racist themselves. Whether you like that or not, it’s truth. I know plenty of people that will happily call someone a white bastard but the moment they’re being racially abused, there’s uproar. 

I also never said that anyone was calling people racist for lack of social distancing at protests. If you can find me where I’ve said that, that would be fantastic. 

Ahhh mate, I made this when I was a kid, aren’t you that guy who claimed to be ITK?

he didn’t say they should ONLY be investing in black shops but investing in black owned business’ and with the issues around systemic racism this will help try and close these disparities? I could name many sectors where black people are sold stuff, for their community, from non black owners. Caribbean shops don’t mean mixed raced shops btw, I’d increase your knowledge on the term 

Who’s ‘these’ people mate? I’m not really getting what you’re saying? I think I’m half of one of ‘these’ people and half of ‘your’ people, and honestly racism IS NOT the same across the board. I think you’re basically saying that you saw a black person call a white person a ‘white bastard’ once, and somehow this equates to racism being the same across the border? Either way you’re basically saying you’re part of that ‘all lives matter’ crowd.

You didn’t say that, you claimed that people have been suggesting that people are racist if they complain about social distancing.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I thought I remembered one in Leicester, but I never had a beer in there. It'll probably open as another boozer or something eventually if they can't turn it into student flats.

It's location is a bit backstreet-y albeit not far from the station, I just can't imagine it doing well in Leicester if it was to reopen to be honest, people don't seem to want to venture as far south as Market Street from the Highcross bubble.